Restoring default Ren'Py hotkey function

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
I know there's one or two mods(?) out there that restore default hotkey actions for Ren'Py (Windows) but for the life of me I can't find them again.

Problem: Some games disable certain hotkeys (like Shift-A) which is f' ing annoying at times...

Anyone know where I can find those mods(?) ? Or tell me how I can restore default hotkeys myself?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Anyone know where I can find those mods(?) ? Or tell me how I can restore default hotkeys myself?
I would have gladly told you how to restore the shift + a hotkey, but I have a problem... This isn't, and seem to never have been, a hotkey used by Ren'Py.

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
I would have gladly told you how to restore the shift + a hotkey, but I have a problem... This isn't, and seem to never have been, a hotkey used by Ren'Py.
So, explain to me then why almost every Ren'Py game I've played, produces this screen when using that exact key-combo?
1639238140808.png

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
[...] anne O'nymous might not known about it because it's a new feature to renpy
I know about the accessibility menu, but:
Code:
        accessibility = [ "K_a" ],
It's opened by the a key alone. And I thought that shift would works like ctrl and alt, therefore implying another combination. And it still make just half sense that it don't.

This being said, then the answer is to create a "access.rpy" file, and write this in it:
Code:
init python:
    if renpy.has_screen( "_accessibility" ):
        config.keymap["accessibility" = [ "K_a" ]
        config.underlay[0].keymap["accessibility"] = ToggleScreen("_accessibility")
Then just copy the file into the "game" directory each time it's needed.

This said, it was added with the 7.2.2 version, therefore it's natural that not all games offer it. By example, there's still at least two games still in development that still use the 6.99.12.4 version... And obviously, any game made with a version prior to the 7.2.2 will not magically display the menu because this code was added.

Reactions: FaceCrap