ROMs or Ports for handheld console? PSP, Gameboy etc

Huffleperv

Dec 3, 2020
Hey all.

Really liking this site but it seems all the games are made for playing on desktop, Windows, Mac or Linux, and so many of the games seem like they'd be perfect for handheld consoles. The retro styled top down ones in a Zelda style would be great on handheld devices like Gameboys and even the more graphically demanding ones could play on PSP.

Does anyone know of a way to get these games to play on consoles such as PSPs with custom firmware and emulators etc? Really seems like a missed opportunity these only being playing on desktop computers.

Thanks

TheBlueKnight

Discussion Dynamo
Respected User
Jr. Uploader
Oct 1, 2018
There is , no .

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Mostly a tech issue. RenPy games would need a PSP port, which it doesn't have. Unity can push to PSP (or other consoles), but you need a specific console license for it; I'm not sure how viable that path would be for homebrew. Renpy's rendering/OS layer is actually quite clean, and designed for multi-platform; someone with experience in homebrew programming for the PSP might be able to build a clean version of that, at which point a whole lot of these games could in theory be ported (the same way they're ported to Android).

Huffleperv

Dec 3, 2020
Mostly a tech issue. RenPy games would need a PSP port, which it doesn't have. Unity can push to PSP (or other consoles), but you need a specific console license for it; I'm not sure how viable that path would be for homebrew. Renpy's rendering/OS layer is actually quite clean, and designed for multi-platform; someone with experience in homebrew programming for the PSP might be able to build a clean version of that, at which point a whole lot of these games could in theory be ported (the same way they're ported to Android).
Interesting, thanks. I'm pretty new to all this and don't know what Renpy is. Hope someone does that but as usual it seems I'm late to people creating stuff for PSP and doubt someone will do what you said so they can easily be ported like all the android games. It seems a bit mad to me creating these really retro looking and playing games that (I think at least) have their origins on handheld consoles like Gameboys, yet they can't be played on them. There're emulators now for virtually everything. Shame.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Unity can push to PSP (or other consoles), but you need a specific console license for it;
If I remember correctly, RPG Maker also have some ports for console. But you probably need the correct version to build your game.

Renpy's rendering/OS layer is actually quite clean, and designed for multi-platform; someone with experience in homebrew programming for the PSP might be able to build a clean version of that, at which point a whole lot of these games could in theory be ported (the same way they're ported to Android).
The problem isn't on Ren'py's side, but on the console side. If there's no version of Python available on the console, you'll go nowhere.
Ren'py can works on Android, but when you look closer, the whole core of the engine have been reworked, and the only thing purely native Python are the parts embedded in rpy files, that will be proceeded by the libpython provided in the APK.