Unity RPG framework recommendation for Unity?

bmax

Jan 14, 2018
Hi all. I've been planning to create my first game with Unity.

Gameplay-wise, I want it to be like a typical RPG Maker game, but in 3D (because I'm capable of 3D but bad at drawing). I've got some experience with Unity as an asset artist but I know only a little about coding. I suppose it would be a really huge challenge to start from scratch, like building the equipment system, quest system, combat system, etc.

I'll appreciate it if you could recommend some easy-to-use RPG frameworks for Unity. Preferably free ones since I'm doing this as a hobby.

(btw would you suggest that I buy RPG Maker to create something easier as my first project, then move on to Unity for some bigger ones?)

Jofur

May 22, 2018
My first advice would be, don't make an RPG unless you've got a decent handle on game architecture, editor scripting, and designing systems, I speak from experience. It's not fun to abandon two full years of work.

Secondly, I would stay away from "large" frameworks, they can work fine but often make it a pain to deviate from their intended uses and having to do everything their way, whereas if you make something from scratch not only can you cater it to your exact needs, you will know it inside and out. If you are gonna rely on third party systems, I think it would be better to get more specialized ones that do the stuff you struggle to create, for example a specific asset that deals an inventory system or dialogue system and so on.

I would definitely suggest RPG maker if it's your first project. Your first Unity projects should be simple stuff, especially if you are just starting out when it comes to programming. Making an RPG is an ambitious project for any developer, even veteran ones.

bmax

Jan 14, 2018
My first advice would be, don't make an RPG unless you've got a decent handle on game architecture, editor scripting, and designing systems, I speak from experience. It's not fun to abandon two full years of work.

Secondly, I would stay away from "large" frameworks, they can work fine but often make it a pain to deviate from their intended uses and having to do everything their way, whereas if you make something from scratch not only can you cater it to your exact needs, you will know it inside and out. If you are gonna rely on third party systems, I think it would be better to get more specialized ones that do the stuff you struggle to create, for example a specific asset that deals an inventory system or dialogue system and so on.

I would definitely suggest RPG maker if it's your first project. Your first Unity projects should be simple stuff, especially if you are just starting out when it comes to programming. Making an RPG is an ambitious project for any developer, even veteran ones.
Thank you!

I was hesitating to take RPG Maker because my ability to draw is so inferior to that of 3D modeling. Though there are a lot RM games that use 3DCGs, personally I'm not fond of that kind. Perhaps I should practice drawing a bit and have a try at RM.

And I actually have some ideas other than RPG. I guess I could make my first Unity game a short linear escape room or something like that. And thanks for the advice on frameworks. Wish you a nice day!

Reactions: Jofur