HTML RPG Game mechanics (stats and skill checks)

Aetheron

Aug 5, 2017
Cue obligatory "not sure if" regarding this being the right place for this kind of question but...

I'm starting to work on an RPG and am currently struggling with the "how" of my game mechanics. I think I want to use the standard RPG fare like strength, agility, etc alongside the stats more typical of H-games like dom vs sub, sadism vs masochism, arousal, boob size, etc and skills such as athletics, lockpicking, biomancy and hypnosis but I can't seem decide on what the best way to determine success vs failure would be.

I think I want something more nuanced than Boolean traits like [STRONG], [BIOMANCER] or [DOM] because I'd like to be able to have more variety than yes/no (aka how strong are they?) Some sort of set range like white wolf would be okay I suppose though I'm not really fond of systems that use 'you have lockpicking 3, this lock requires lockpicking 4 to even make the attempt' (I'd rather it run in the other direction for stuff like personality traits: aka doing the thing or picking that type of choice adds/increases the trait rather than needing to have the trait to try and do the thing.)

I'm guessing this means the 'checks' portion should/would involve something like die rolling / random number generation (I'm okay with the math being a little awkward or complicated since i'm comfortable with programming and the computer will do it all in the background for the player anyway.) It's coming up with a system that is consistent in terms of stat ranges, what constitutes "average" (I.e having strength be 3d6 with an average of 10 ala D&D while simultaneously having personality things like dom/sub start at 0 and go to x in either direction, or agility being 0 (1?) to 5 while arousal is 0-100 seems inelegant to me)

Has anyone seen a game that handled this well or have suggestions on implantation? (Sorry for getting kind of ramble-y)

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
To avoid having to spend hours upon hours fine-tuning and modifying stats and events, I would suggest a slightly "lighter" implementation.

Something like:
strength = 10 (range of 1 to 100, or whatever you feel you need for the correct progress)

And, if you have a check against strength (say, lifting something heavy), you first determine if it's possible for the player to do the feat. So, say strength = 10 enables the player to lift 100 KG "normally". If the player needs to lift 120 KG, it's within his "range", but it will be very hard, hence a lower chance of success (say... 30%). If he wants to lift 110 KG, the percentage is 50%, and if it's 100 KG (his normal max) the percentage is 80/90% and so on.

For multiple skill-checks, you need to determine if you want to add them all up and do one check against difficulty, or do them individually - either way it's mostly transparent to the player, which will only know if it succeeded or failed.

That way, you can keep most stats within the same range, and do checks with simpler random-checks (if random.number > percentage: then yay)