Completed RPG maker - Edit existing game

Ryahn

Birb Skull Fuckery
Staff member
Game Compressor
Donor
Jul 5, 2017
I was wondering if it was possible to import an existing game? The reason for this, is to be able to add either a plugin or custom script to help with word wrapping on some RPGM with fan translations.

I am not entirely sure if you can even add scripts to an already exported game.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
yes and no. It depends on the game and the engine/platform it is on.
games such as what is made with renpy and rpg maker have 2 types of exports I believe, 1 is the streamlined game (which pretty much locks the files) and 2 a larger version that tends to have a lot of the needed code for systems that may not have the needed drivers. This second option also tends to ready to be open by the editor, assuming you have the files that say you own the source code. But I have seen some games exported such that, players are allowed to edit the game afterwards if they have the editor (this was an old rpg game). Now these two features are just because how the engines and the files were designed to work. Things like a unity game does not work since it tends to use microsofts closed compiler and anything that is truely compiled is pretty much lost, no way to reconstruct the game source code. Same for raw coded games.
Some programs to support a language file, but I never got into messing with those.

Ryahn

Birb Skull Fuckery
Staff member
Game Compressor
Donor
Jul 5, 2017
Its mainly RPGM like VX, VX Ace and MV really.

Its mainly just trying to add a word wrap script.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I know how to make and use DLL files, but I don't fully understand them. I know with skyrim, if you put a DLL file in its main folder, it will find it and run it, if a file has any commands that match other commands the game wants to use, it prioritizes the new file's version over built-in versions or older DLL files, and that's how you can wrap or interject code in. I don't know if this is normal (since I can't find it anywhere else or find clues online) or if it is just how the creation engine was made or if it's skyrim script extention mode that allows for this wrapping and code injection, so I don't know enough to say what could be done with rpg maker stuff. nor do I play with that program/tool.