RPG Maker MV Editing

Regardie

Jul 27, 2017
I am going to put this here for now and if it needs to be moved the mods are free to do so.

Games, and the RPG Maker MV games in particular are very difficult to create and I am always impressed with them and the work that single creators can put together.

Unfortunately, I find the quality of the English translations of some games to be a little lacking. They are impressive coming from English as a second, third or fourth language speakers but there are little things that could be polished up a bit.

I have been trying to help out some game creators with editing the English versions as I have the time, some for my own benefit, and some that have gotten rolled into future versions of games.

In the process I have found RPG Maker MV to be incredible difficult to work with in the deployed versions that get released. All the maps are just json files that aren't quite completely compacted but they are hard to work with as is so I tried throwing them into Notepad+ and uncompacting them to edit and then reconstructing the format manually. It is a doable process but somewhat clunky.

So I picked up a copy of RPG Maker MV at the last sale and have just started playing around with it. Without the project file I thought I would not be able to work on someones's game in the program. What I discovered was that if I created a new project, closed the program, copied the deployed version of the game into the project folder and relaunched RPG Maker MV I had access to what looks like the whole game in the program.

So two things: first I can see in MV the amount of work a developer has had to put into any game to get it to the point where we get to play it and it has really raised my appreciation of developers. Second, it allows me to edit text so much easier. I don't know exactly how I can use these files that I edit to help a developer yet since I have only done it with a Patreon only version of a game from a developer I have not done any work with before.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Reactions: Dandy_Survived
Sep 6, 2023
Yeah I've been making the same with some RPG Maker, XP, VX Ace and MV games. It's much more easy to translate things when you have direct access to edit the text boxes. Also it had helped me understanding how RPG Maker actually works so I can make my own game in the future.

Regardie

Jul 27, 2017
Yeah I've been making the same with some RPG Maker, XP, VX Ace and MV games. It's much more easy to translate things when you have direct access to edit the text boxes. Also it had helped me understanding how RPG Maker actually works so I can make my own game in the future.
I actually worked out a system using Notepad ++ and a plugin called JSTool. With the plugin you can reformat the json files to a much more readable state and change the text lines as needed and then run js min on it to remove the formatting, sometimes needing to go back and put in line breaks.

All in all, much easier to edit the json files outside of MV.

Reactions: Dandy_Survived
Sep 6, 2023
Yeah but I also have been messing with games to learn how to make them an even working on new scenarios for existing games (haven't released anything, just for personal use) so I like editing the text inside RPG Maker better.