Tool RPG Maker MV/MZ Asset Decoder (Python Based)

kin-kun

Modder
Jul 10, 2020
So I found this project on GitHub and made some modifications to make it a little easier to run (no module, it is just one file.)

There's a number of things that I like about this.
  1. This doesn't need the System.json.
    1. It figures out the encoding key automatically by assuming the images are PNG files and checking to see if the headers match
    2. For example if you try to decode Sword Maiden of the Azure dragon with current tools it just doesn't work. Well with this it does.
  2. It is fast
    1. It can decode an entire game in less time than it takes to extract, or even bring up other tools
    2. For reference I was running on a SSD, and after extracting I ran this. See the screenshot below
  3. It figures out file types
    1. Assets are not all renamed .ogg/.png but instead named based on their header
mv_decoder.png

But wait you're saying what if the game is mostly Webp images? How well does it work then?

So let's take After I met that cat girl my quest list got too long:

mv_decoder_2.png

Basically, there are only 16 encrypted PNG files in that game. But based on that it is able to identify the key. Out of 2230 different rpgmvp files.

Where can this fail? If every image in the entire game is a webp file. In that case you'll get:

mv_decoder_3.png

In that case you can find the key and pass it in as the third argument

mv_decoder_4.png

Run pip install -r requirements.txt to install the requirements into python.

There's no GUI, but I figured that was OK.

iNotice

Mar 14, 2018
thank you so much i was looking for something that would work for sword maiden
edit: false alarm. thanks again

Last edited:

kin-kun

Modder
Jul 10, 2020
How to replace the files with the ones generated by the decoder?
So this is where you need to know what this script does and RPG Maker MV.

My script takes rpgmvp/rpgmvo/rpgmva files fixes the file header and puts a proper extension on each file. That means once it is done, you can remove all of the encoded files and replace them with the encoded forms. Then you need to modify system.json in the www/data folder to remove the encryption key (typically the last few lines of the file). Make sure it is still a valid JSON file.

Finally, you may need to rename all audio files with .ogg and images with .png depending on the core framework. RPG Maker MV will only "compile" files that end with the correct extension (regardless of the underlying file type).

badwonder

Apr 28, 2017
mate, thank you for this fantastic thing, I was playing a grindy arse hell game and thanks to your decoder I know the steps necessary to finish this godamn game. thank you again

Johan_0000

Apr 14, 2023
Idk if I'm dumb or smt but could a kind soul explain to me how to run it and what it does. Like do I have to place the file in a game or do I have to actually type some commands? I'm so lost lol. I'd appreciate it if someone could waste some time for me. Consider I have 0 knowledge

THX to whoever will