RPG Maker MV - What do I need?

puffmutter

Aug 29, 2019
Hi guys...

Want to make a game by my own. Actually RPG Maker MV is in sale at Steam.
What extras (tile sets, sounds, etc.) do I need if I want to make a game at actual time (no medieval) with a "normal" town (flat, pool, office, etc.) and also some road (highways with e.g. rest areas)?

I already tried a demo of RPG Maker MV and the tiles in there are only for a medieval set.

Stompai

Oct 7, 2017
Hi guys...

Want to make a game by my own. Actually RPG Maker MV is in sale at Steam.
What extras (tile sets, sounds, etc.) do I need if I want to make a game at actual time (no medieval) with a "normal" town (flat, pool, office, etc.) and also some road (highways with e.g. rest areas)?

I already tried a demo of RPG Maker MV and the tiles in there are only for a medieval set.
That's a hard question to answer.
In my opinion, starting your game development process by asking what you might need isn't a very good start.
It's like asking what color you need to start a painting.
My advice is to start by actually getting rpg maker engine and getting used to it.
Then brainstorming so that you have a clear idea of what game you want to make.
Then start looking for way to make that idea into a game.

MV was released for 5 years and there is a big community behind it. Lots of places to find solutions, tutorials, plugins, scripts, tilesets, etc.
Good luck ^^

puffmutter

Aug 29, 2019
Thx for the reply.
I know what you mean but I have a story in the head and now I just need the right tiles to create it. :)

But I thought most of the good tilesets are to buy?

ShamanLab

[Industry News] Weird behavior (c)
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
This depend which game concept you have. :)

There is hundreds of plugins for free.

And RPG Maker MV does not necessarily mean turn-based role-playing game. You can invent or clone another subgenres from resource management to pure visual novel game style.

About dlc tilesets -- almost any of them overused. :( But there is sci-fi, urban horror and steampunk dls tilesets.

Smbt3D

Nov 3, 2019
There's a template for the most used contemporary city map in the base version, it's made with the sci-fi tile set.

Stompai

Oct 7, 2017
Thx for the reply.
I know what you mean but I have a story in the head and now I just need the right tiles to create it. :)

But I thought most of the good tilesets are to buy?
Haha, good then.
Indeed most tilesets are to be bought, because in general people who create tilesets are doing this as their job.
But it's always possible to find some ressources ^^
, to a french rpgmaker forum "ressources for mv"
5 pages of tilesets from medieval to sf

Reactions: puffmutter