RPGM games cause a screen display error

Eregion702

Jul 6, 2018
What it says on the title.

When starting RPGM games, after a while the game will freeze for a couple seconds then the entire computer screen will go dark, turn back on and say "The display driver error had an error and recovered", rinse and repeat until I shut down the game.

Another issue that might be related is that some textures glitch, thought they go away if I manage to keep the game running.

I can solve all this by using forces compatibility mode, but it makes the game run like complete garbage.

It might be related to the issue I mentioned here: (https://f95zone.to/threads/i-need-help-getting-rid-of-nw-js.132902), though I thought NW.JS might be the cause of it.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
turn back on and say "The display driver error had an error and recovered"
Well since you see this helpful message, have you tried reinstalling/updating your display drivers? A bad driver installation would explain all the texture glitches as well.

Eregion702

Jul 6, 2018
I have a really old laptop, so there haven't been driver updates available for quite a while.

The graphics "card" is an Intel Family Chipset if that tells you anything.

I forgot to mention it, but this only happens with RPGM games.

EDIT: Something I forgot to add. Once it does the display error thing, it will start doing it immediately after opening any VX Ace game, where before it took some time after starting the game. It will also do it while trying to view images through windows gallery and I have no idea what's up with that.

Last edited:

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Once it does the display error thing, it will start doing it immediately after opening any VX Ace game, where before it took some time after starting the game. It will also do it while trying to view images through windows gallery and I have no idea what's up with that.
What you describe is like your APU/CPU overheats and then breaks everything even in windows. I strongly recommend trying to download the most recent APU/CPU drivers directly from the intel website.

I don't want to jump the gun but it sounds like some notebook components might be dying/overheating. To know for sure you should check if it happens as well in non-RPGM games, download something to benchmark your notebook and do some healthchecks.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
What you describe is like your APU/CPU overheats and then breaks everything even in windows.
Overheated CPU knockout the motherboard power, therefore his computer would reboot, not just display a blank screen. Never happened to me, but I guess that an overheated GPU would do the same, at the level of the video card ; and this could explain the error he get.

To know for sure you should check if it happens as well in non-RPGM games, [...]
It happen, he said that he have the same issue when using Windows Gallery.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
get something similar to these and clean your laptop vents and (fan: you might have to open the laptop for this one) and don't use a vacuum

42150b8dabc20d18ffe9eee565bc59f7.jpg s-l500.jpg

or try to updating your laptop and video driver.