RPGM or Ren'Py ?

Kryptozoid

Sep 3, 2016
Hello, trying to make a game for some time, started a bit with Ren'Py, but I'm not very far, and gameplay wise the game could work on either RPGM or Ren'Py, so I'm just wondering which engine is considered easier for a non-coder like me ? Also, which one of them has tools where you can create quests, maps and menus visually, and then exporting a usuable code for the engine ? I mean some external programs making it easier for non coders.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Both have a ton of plug-ins to create stuff you want, without barely requiring any coding knowledge. I would honestly just look at what for game you want to make, and pick the engine that fits the best with it.

What you are describing sounds more like a RPGmaker game than a Ren'Py one to me. Quests and maps fits more a RPG game than a visual novel one. It can be created in Ren Py, but it will be more like a story line you would follow, than quests. Getting quests that aren't pick up this, or be on this location at x, will require coding in Ren'py (and you might be better of switching to unity or Unreal engine if you are going that route).

Reactions: Kryptozoid

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Is walking necessary? If it is, go for RPG Maker.
If walking is not necessary, go for Ren'Py.

Coding is necessary in every case to set your game apart from the others, you will have to learn it anyways.

ionpop

Aug 5, 2019
I am not a developer but I've played a lot of games and from what I can tell, making a good Ren'Py should be much easier than making a good RPGM. That's because you need a lot more content for an RPGM for it to feel right: story, quests, items, characters, decent visuals, locations, activities/grinding, leveling up, combat, combat balancing and so on. A Ren'Py on the other hand generally needs a good story and pretty good visuals to work.
Before deciding I suggest you take a look at these games to get an idea of what each engine has to offer:
- Time for Dragons by eliont and Fantasy Town by Order of Lorval for Ren'Py
- Legend of Queen Opala: Origin by SweGabe for RPGM

Edit: You can also compare Ren'Py and RPGM directly because MuseX decided to turn the same story into Love Season and Farmer's Dreams respectivelly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kryptozoid