RPGM vs REN'PY

red-NINE

Jul 11, 2019
Hi
I am thinking of creating a new adult game. Its not going to be simple visual novel. The game's probably gonna have 3DCG, some animations(looped), sound effects, multiple protagonists, puzzle solving, inventory, lots of choices, gallery system, multiple endings and maybe some sort of a combat system. Currently i am learning daz studio and have very basic knowledge of renpy and rpgmv/rpgmz.

I want the game to on multiple platforms - Windows, Linux, Mac and Android.

Which game engine would you recommend RPGM or Ren'Py ?

Last edited:

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
Do you want to make a game that revolves around first-person POV dialogue and requires a lot of work to implement RPG gameplay systems in Python?

Or do you want to make a game that revolves around questing and combat but limits you to top-down sprites?

Nov 21, 2020
Some of the things you want probably require a bit of work in Ren'Py, but they're definitely all doable and you can find examples on this forum in popular games.

From my personal experience, the RPGM Android experience is pretty bad and it feels clunky. Or at least I haven't managed to get used to it. Ren'Py is also more popular on this site.

Losersriot

Jul 7, 2021
"Hi
I am thinking of creating a new adult game.[:love:] Its not going to be simple visual novel. [:confused:] The game's probably gonna have 3DCG [:giggle:], some animations(looped) [:D] , sound effects[:sneaky:], multiple protagonists [:FacePalm:], puzzle solving[:poop:], inventory [:sick:], and... some sort of a combat system [:eek:]."

Niv-Mizzet the Firemind

Mar 15, 2020
I think you're putting a lot on your plate right from the beginning.
Try to create first a couple of short games, each with a different engine and maybe try to implement one mechanic, to see how you like each engine. Maybe a prologue/intro for each of the multiple protagonists.

Having said that, I personally hate every RPGM game I've ever played. I don't think it's a fault of the engine, it has to do with the games mostly. Everything you listed can be done in Renpy, how well or how easily is another matter.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
Players hate visual novels in RPGM, or "sandbox" games in RPGM if sandbox means almost zero interaction on RPGM maps and long walking.
What you describe would probably justify the use of RPGM, but I believe it can be done in Ren'Py as well, and players would prefer Ren'Py.

You can take this (MIST) as a sample Ren'Py game with gallery, inventory and combat system.

There are good adult games using RPGM, but they're pretty rare.

red-NINE

Jul 11, 2019
Thanks for all your input.
After careful consideration i have decided to go with renpy.

P.S
How often do you use the 'quick save' and 'quick load' button in the quick menu? I am thinking of removing those two buttons from the quick menu.

Milvidi

Game Developer
Feb 26, 2018

P.S
How often do you use the 'quick save' and 'quick load' button in the quick menu? I am thinking of removing those two buttons from the quick menu.
I removed the entire quick menu, haven't seen any complain yet.

Crimson Delight Games

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2020
Honestly, RPGM if you have any travel or free roam. Renpy if not. You can tweak both engines to do a lot of other stuff they weren't designed for (many games posted here showcase this), but it's far easier to just go with the flow and play to an engine's strengths while minimizing its weaknesses.

Serupiko

Aug 30, 2018
RPGM is good if you wanna do a very expansive world. But something like a towm? Overworld renpy map works best. Also rpgm games are a pain to play when you move so much for notjing, and generic sprites look like hot shit.

Just start it simple and go with Renpy

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018

P.S
I don't really use quick save or load, but I use Auto frequently. It's annoying as fuck when they remove the quickbar because there is no other way to trigger Auto mode in renpy. What's funny is that all the devs that remove the quickbar always leave the Auto-forward time slider in the preferences.

• Haha
Reactions: Serupiko