RTX 2080 ti vs RTX 3070

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
basically the same, maybe 3070, but I wouldn't worry about it now since its impossible to get one right now, and you should wait till the drivers have enough time to patch most of the issues, id say wait 4 to 10 months, or get a 2080 ti

Reactions: Agrik

Derezz

Game Developer
Feb 24, 2019
and you should wait till the drivers have enough time to patch most of the issues, id say wait 4 to 10 months
Woaah does it take that long? That was bad cuz currently i only have 500 bucks :/ I was just asking out of curiosity.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
3070 will be better for Daz but isn't officially supported yet. By the time there is stock available again; there should be official Daz support. A better bet for Daz though would be the 3080 or even the 3090 if you can afford it; for rendering it's all about the amount of VRAM you have; the more you have, the more complex your scenes can be.

Derezz

Game Developer
Feb 24, 2019
3070 will be better for Daz but isn't officially supported yet. By the time there is stock available again; there should be official Daz support. A better bet for Daz though would be the 3080 or even the 3090 if you can afford it; for rendering it's all about the amount of VRAM you have; the more you have, the more complex your scenes can be.
I cant afford 3080 or a better graphics card nowadays :( I heard cuda cores is the most important thing for rendering and vram is more important for 2k or higher resolutions, isn't that right ?

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

Donor
Jun 21, 2017
I cant afford 3080 or a better graphics card nowadays :( I heard cuda cores is the most important thing for rendering and vram is more important for 2k or higher resolutions, isn't that right ?
More VRAM is more important than CUDA cores if you plan on doing complex scenes, that is more than one or two characters on a detailed background.

Reactions: Derezz

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
vram is more important for 2k or higher resolutions
Thats if you want to play video games, yes
VRAM is more important than CUDA cores
agreed, if it is for rendering, and you are using daz, you want to focus on more vram

I use blender, which doesn't have the vram limitation

I also believe that there are ways to work around the vram limitation with daz, but it can greatly slow down renders.

so lets say $500 is the limit, the only other question is, whether you want to wait or not.

and maybe you don't have to wait. you could get the 3070 now, and if you are new to daz, probably in the time it takes you to make pratice scenes and get more experience with simpler scenes, you scenes probably won't cause an issue and by the time you are making more complex scenes, there will probably be driver updates to solve any issues you may face with more complex scenes by the time you get to that point in your projects. so I say 3070 should be the best bet.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
More VRAM is more important than CUDA cores if you plan on doing complex scenes, that is more than one or two characters on a detailed background.
VRAM is indeed a huge big plus but I could do one or two characters on a detailed background with an old 1060, rendering in layers. It gives some headaches but it's rather instructive :D

I use blender, which doesn't have the vram limitation

I also believe that there are ways to work around the vram limitation with daz, but it can greatly slow down renders.

so lets say $500 is the limit, the only other question is, whether you want to wait or not.

and maybe you don't have to wait. you could get the 3070 now, and if you are new to daz, probably in the time it takes you to make pratice scenes and get more experience with simpler scenes, you scenes probably won't cause an issue and by the time you are making more complex scenes, there will probably be driver updates to solve any issues you may face with more complex scenes by the time you get to that point in your projects. so I say 3070 should be the best bet.
Out of the core is quite painfuly slow tho. You can combo GPU/CPU with Iray but it's painfuly slow squarred.
I don't think there will be any problems once Iray build & Cuda 11 fully implemented. RTX implementation ran rather smoothly iirc. My main concern is generally early cards have random manufacturing problems, gonna wait the second batch of cards :WeSmart:.

Reactions: Derezz

Agrik

Sep 15, 2018
So far, the 30xx series has big problems in the power supply circuits and with the quality of the chips themselves, so it's better to refrain from buying for now.
Buying the not new RTX 2080 ti is also a very risky business - all ti versions are less reliable than conventional video cards due to higher temperatures.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

Donor
Jun 21, 2017
So far, the 30xx series has big problems in the power supply circuits and with the quality of the chips themselves, so it's better to refrain from buying for now.
Buying the not new RTX 2080 ti is also a very risky business - all ti versions are less reliable than conventional video cards due to higher temperatures.
The Founders Edition cards are fine; also, the Gigabyte cards are fine because they used better parts than Nvidia did in the FE cards. There are loads of videos on YouTube from trusted reviewers about which cards have the not so good power delivery in them.

Agrik

Sep 15, 2018
I saw a video specifically about problems with a card from Gigabyte, but the cheapest version.
And I also heard that only 5-10% of chips are of high quality, about 60% can work in standard mode and 30-35% can hardly give out the declared frequencies, at increased voltage and temperatures. That is why there is such a shortage of video cards - Samsung cannot organize the production of chips.
I think that until the new year, the 30xx series should not be bought, the 60xx series of AMD cards will be released soon, perhaps the greedy Huang will have to reduce prices.