Rules concerning reusing images & Video's

Survivor1000

Sep 23, 2017
I started working on my first story/game and was hoping someone could help me answer what the rules are about reusing pictures/videos from other game devs?!

1.Can I use pictures/video's from other games freely if I need them or do I have to ask permission to use them because of copyright issues?

2. Do I need to add the names of the developers in the credits?

If someone can explain to me a bit more about the rules and restrictions I would be gratefull!

I don't have patreon yet so I am not bound by their rules yet.

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
Depends on the game you are taking from.

Generally it's a good idea to ask permission. Just taking someone else's work will not end well for you.

If you don't get permission then you will have fans of whatever game you stole from do everything they can to have your game removed from whatever platform it's on. Best case scenario they make sure you never make any money from it.

If it's from an actual game dev then permission won't work. It's all copyright protected so at best you could make a free game at worst you'll be taken to court and end up with a fine in the tens of thousands if you are lucky.

Generally speaking taking someone else's work is never a good idea.

Before you do anything you need to remember that the game you are taking from has a fanbase while you do not. Is it worth the backlash you will get regardless of if you have permission or not.

H games don't tend to have copyright protection but they do have ways of making sure you earn less from their work if you aren't careful. AAA and indie devs DO have copyright protection and taking their stuff will end badly for you if you get caught out.

Unless you are making a parody of a game or extension of one it's just not a great idea to use anything from another game.

No matter what the outcome everyone will know it's not your work and you won't find many people willing to back a dev that hasn't done anything for themself.

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
1. and 2. both depend on the license.
What you want to look out for to make it easy, is content under these licenses:

CC Zero aka 'CC0' where you can do whatever you want with the content:

or an Attribution license where you need to name the original author and indicate whether you made changes:

Avoid 'NC' if you want to sell you content because that stands for non commercial.
Also avoid anything that is not under a creative commons license because that I a minefield!

Wikipedia has a nice overview on all variations of CC-licenses:

Hope that helps.

Survivor1000

Sep 23, 2017
Thanks so far for the information &
To make things clear I wil not have any commercial ideas behind it. I need to educate myself more into developing first until I am more knowledgeable about it.
I am a noob in game making.
Maybe if I finished the game or made a few games and know how everything works I will think about making it a commercial thing.
I will take your advice to heart and see to it that I don't make mistakes.
It will purely a game I make in my free time as a hobby