Rules for Devs managing their own game threads here.

Atemsiel

Developer of Stormside
Game Developer
Jan 4, 2022
Weird question.. I'm a dev who's about to release the first version of my game.

I was gonna make a thread for it here, but then I realised that I only really intended to include links to the public versions. Is it ok for me to only post links to the latest PUBLIC versions at the top of the thread? Or is there some rule where it has to be kept up to date with the very latest version, even if that version isn't supposed to be public? Am I even allowed ownership of my games thread?

The model is, occasional public versions which will be available to everyone, but the versions in between will be patreon exclusives. No other stuff like extra content codes or paid walkthroughs. I'm aware of what this site is and that the "paid" versions will probably end up here anyway (I can't beat piracy, so I might as well embrace it) but is it OK for me to not post those links myself? I don't care if people post them in the thread, it's gonna happen whether I'm here or not, it's just this way I can answer peoples questions about future releases and stuff.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
You can update just the public version, but leakers can provide the patreon only stuff and you cannot block this from happening. Mods will update with latest version if it is leaked. You retain ownership unless you try to remove the leaked update or something.

Atemsiel

Developer of Stormside
Game Developer
Jan 4, 2022
You can update just the public version, but leakers can provide the patreon only stuff and you cannot block this from happening. Mods will update with latest version if it is leaked.
Ah that's fine. As long as I'm not the one actually updating for the leaked versions then it's no issue. I know they're gonna end up here anyway, I just think it'd be a bit of a kick in the teeth to anyone who was paying for them if I was actively leaking it myself. I don't plan to try to stop leaks.

Thanks (y)

Reactions: Meaning Less

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
Thread ownership basically allows you to choose the best description and preview pics to show, instead of letting uploaders to put whatever they want. Alternative links will be provided by uploaders even if you post your official ones so you don't need to keep updating them after the thread goes online.

Atemsiel

Developer of Stormside
Game Developer
Jan 4, 2022
Thread ownership basically allows you to choose the best description and preview pics to show, instead of letting uploaders to put whatever they want. Alternative links will be provided by uploaders even if you post your official ones so you don't need to keep updating them after the thread goes online.
Ohhh that's perfect, I read something about needing mirrors so I spent time uploading the game to googledrive and mediafire XD... I usually just use mega so I'm glad to know I don't have to deal with all that. Glad to know I can choose what pics and descriptions to put in as I plan to keep it pretty up to date with what's actually there. May as well go post it now.

Thanks

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
I believe there is a developer-only forum here. Since you're being proactive, maybe see if it's possible to go ahead and get access, because it will probably make it easier to get the attention of other devs.

Atemsiel

Developer of Stormside
Game Developer
Jan 4, 2022
I believe there is a developer-only forum here. Since you're being proactive, maybe see if it's possible to go ahead and get access, because it will probably make it easier to get the attention of other devs.

Crispy Chicken

Sandwich Lover
Game Developer
Jun 30, 2020
Just one important rule for thread ownership, as we've been made aware by staff before we're given ownership over our threads, is that you are not allowed to remove any leaks posted by staff to your thread.

If, for example, you release both a patron-only version and public version, and you only upload your public version here, there's no issue there. It's up to you to be honest.

BUT if the patron-only version somehow gets leaked and F95 staff posts it in your thread, you aren't allowed to remove it.

Aside from that, I'm pretty sure the other's just basic thread stuff etc. F95 is, first and foremost, a piracy site.

Hagatagar

Oct 11, 2019
In addition to what others already wrote, as a game thread owner you can also put up polls.
But as this forum engine doesn't really support the removal of polls by users (as far as I know), you'd need to ask mods to remove them after they fullfilled their purpose.

Atemsiel

Developer of Stormside
Game Developer
Jan 4, 2022
In addition to what others already wrote, as a game thread owner you can also put up polls.
But as this forum engine doesn't really support the removal of polls by users (as far as I know), you'd need to ask mods to remove them after they fullfilled their purpose.
Thanks for the info man. I've posted it at this point, and it's been moved to games. Going well so far, but I'll keep in mind what you said about polls. Thanks (y)