Running Python 3.9 games on Win 7

Scooter_Tramp

Dec 23, 2022
Yes it is possible!!! After jumping through hoops, twirling around 3 times and reading the magical incantation "clatu verata ni-cough cough... "

Make sure you have W7 SP1 installed then install windows6.1-kb4457144-x64 security update then find & run the W7 compatible version of python 3.9 on github & profit!

I have been through hell as my fav games jumped 1x1 into the python 3.9 abyss, tried updating to win 10 but my pc won't boot from a thumb drive or a virtual drive and finding a dual layer dvd+r, 8.4 gb outside of 8 weeks of shipping & huge prices on ebay has left me banging my head against solid objects... (10 yrs ago they were everywhere & cheap as dirt...)

Anyhow, after a deep dive tonight I am finally playing 3.9 games & lovin' it!

I wanted to upload a zip/rar to this post with the files needed but it won't let me, so soldier on with a bit more intel than you had before!

p.s. To clarify, this is a Python issue, not a Ren'py one...

I swear Win 8, 8.1 & 10 are like ME & Vista rolled into 1 and then given to a insane asylum and adding their recommendations...
I just want a clean OS that will run fast and not offer me coupons for Burger King or Taco Bell based on my web searches...

Yes, I know about linux, but software developers don't seem to know/care about it...

Last edited:
Reactions: Pif paf

Pif paf

Engaged Member
Feb 5, 2018
Yes it is possible!!! After jumping through hoops, twirling around 3 times and reading the magical incantation "clatu verata ni-cough cough... "

Make sure you have W7 SP1 installed then install windows6.1-kb4457144-x64 security update then find & run the W7 compatible version of python 3.9 on github & profit!

I have been through hell as my fav games jumped 1x1 into the python 3.9 abyss, tried updating to win 10 but my pc won't boot from a thumb drive or a virtual drive and finding a dual layer dvd+r, 8.4 gb outside of 8 weeks of shipping & huge prices on ebay has left me banging my head against solid objects... (10 yrs ago they were everywhere & cheap as dirt...)

Anyhow, after a deep dive tonight I am finally playing 3.9 games & lovin' it!

I wanted to upload a zip/rar to this post with the files needed but it won't let me, so soldier on with a bit more intel than you had before!

p.s. To clarify, this is a Python issue, not a Ren'py one...

I swear Win 8, 8.1 & 10 are like ME & Vista rolled into 1 and then given to a insane asylum and adding their recommendations...
I just want a clean OS that will run fast and not offer me coupons for Burger King or Taco Bell based on my web searches...

Yes, I know about linux, but software developers don't seem to know/care about it...
Just wait for the win11 which is REQUIRED to have an internet connection to work.....