running renpy games on rasrberry pi? anyone able to help?

turdo

Jul 6, 2020
While I wait for parts to fix my PC I am stuck with a ras pi as my main computer. Linux renpy games attempt to run but I get an error:

Ren'Py platform files not found in:

/home/pi/Downloads/lara-0.1-pc/lib/linux-armv7l

Please compile the platform files using the instructions in README.md
or point them to an existing installation using ./after_checkout.sh <path>.

Alternatively, please set RENPY_PLATFORM to a different platform.

Anyone able to point me to a copy of the platform files? Any other ideas? I cant be arsed trying to compile myself.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Anyone able to point me to a copy of the platform files?
Do you really want to starts this ?

I mean, here's what you'll have to do for each game:
  • launch the game, that will crash ;
  • Look at the log.txt file to see what version of Ren'Py it use ;
  • [optional if not done yet] , then unpack it somewhere unique ;
  • Copy the content of the right SDK's "/lib/linux-armv7l" folder into the game "/lib/linux-armv7l" folder, that you'll create by yourself.

The first time you'll also probably have to install the missing packages:
apt-get install virtualenvwrapper python-dev libavcodec-dev libavformat-dev libavresample-dev libswresample-dev libswscale-dev libfreetype6-dev libglew1.6-dev libfribidi-dev libsdl2-dev libsdl2-image-dev libsdl2-gfx-dev libsdl2-mixer-dev libsdl2-ttf-dev libjpeg-dev
/!\ Come from the readme of an old Ren'Py, so there's perhaps more dependencies now /!\

And possibly need to also install cython:
Code:
apt-get install python-pip
pip install -U cython
Then install cython mandatory modules:
pip install -U cython future six

Yet, as said by , once all this will be done there's no guaranty that the game will works, because Raspberry support is limited.
Plus I can't guaranty that I don't forgot a step.

turdo

Jul 6, 2020
hmmm, that doesn't look too bad. The problem is trying to find the renpy version. Unless I am doing something stupid there is no log.txt. It should be in the (game name)/renpy folder right? Any other way to find version?

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
hmmm, that doesn't look too bad. The problem is trying to find the renpy version. Unless I am doing something stupid there is no log.txt. It should be in the (game name)/renpy folder right? Any other way to find version?
open \renpy\__init__.py in a text editor, scroll down:
1662190732097.png

Reactions: anne O'nymous

turdo

Jul 6, 2020
Thanks guys, got the platform files, but now I get

./lara.sh: 61: exec: /home/pi/Downloads/lara-0.1-pc/lib/linux-armv7l/lara: not found

If I try copying the file from a different platform I get;

./lara.sh: 61: exec: /home/pi/Downloads/lara-0.1-pc/lib/linux-armv7l/lara: Exec format error

Any ideas? At this point I think I will just bang a winblows machine together from old parts, but would still be interested in getting running on pi for convenience and education.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
./lara.sh: 61: exec: /home/pi/Downloads/lara-0.1-pc/lib/linux-armv7l/lara: not found
Hmmm, yeah, I was right to feel that I was forgetting a step...
Or more precisely, I tried to answer your question, forgetting that it's not how it works. Simply updating the lib files can only works if the game have already been released for the right platform.

The process have to be reservedreversed, move the game to the SDK, and not move the SDK to the game.

Edit: a fucking typo

Last edited: