Safe App Launcher V1: Safely run games without risking infecting your machine with malware

jorflns

Jul 2, 2022
Safe App Launcher V1
by jorfl#2132 on Discord (jorflns here)

I built this tool since it's quite risky to be downloading and executing all these games on your device without a virtual machine, but using a virtual machine makes the games run super slowly at least on my device. This is a pretty safe alternative. Would love any feedback. I've tested it as working successfully with Ren'Py based games so far.

Use this handy tool to safely launch applications or games that you do not fully trust. It creates a limited user account on your device that does not have permission to view your files or modify your system. So even if the application or game is infected with malware, it won't be able to steal your data or harm your device. The game or application will still be able to access the internet, just not your filesystem, and generally will not be able to infect your computer.

Usage Instructions:
1. Copy 'run_safely.cmd' and 'PsExec.exe' into the game folder that contains the game executable.
2. Double-click on 'run_safely.cmd'.
3. Allow the UAC prompt. It requests administrative privileges since it will create a limited-privileges user account.
4. On the initial run, it will create the restricted user account. This may take a few minutes but only occurs the first time you use the tool.
5. It will then list the executables in the current folder along with a number next to each one, e.g., (1) game.exe. Enter the number of the game you want to launch safely, and hit enter.
6. Voilà! The game will launch safely!

Enjoy a worry-free gaming experience with Safe App Launcher!

1681881310252.png