QSP Abandoned Saint Petersburg Adventures [v1.02 test] [toolkitxx]

3.00 star(s) 3 Votes

Carrera

Jun 25, 2017
I'm not talking about content, how little or how much. The navigation system is HORRID. Who ever thought this was cool needs their heads examined.

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
I'm not talking about content, how little or how much. The navigation system is HORRID. Who ever thought this was cool needs their heads examined.
We have been through this before - but let me enlighten you again:
This is based on QSP which is both a language and the QSP player's abilities. Rapid development by direct connection of commands and the player's abilities is somewhat special - that includes the navigation. Sticking to the 'regular' QSP way of navigation via the 'action' frame was and is always the first choice when creating a new project as it means the least amount of special code (which equals better code maintenance which means less bugs/faster bugfix etc).

Since this is not a VN but a proper game world with many locations i had to solve that code part first to ensure that locations could rapidly be added/changed/moved and so on to ensure expandability for a long time to come. That also required sticking to 'standard' navigation first. As others already pointed out before you (and also in a more mannered way) that another way of navigation would be nice I already added a second way of navigation - that version has just not been published yet as i wanted to finish another part of the story and event lines first.

Worst of all is that most of those who comment on the navigation are simply not aware of the numerical keys used to navigate. QSP always provided that as an inbuild feature thus it was and will always be a first choice for a dev. 1-9 execute the actions in their respective order (this can also be set to be visible via the player setting). That means rapidly navigating around by only using the keyboard OR the mouse OR a combination of both of them. Actually the utmost flexibility for whatever a user prefers without causing massive code headaches for the Dev.

P.S. I attached a preliminary version of the added one-click top-naviagtion to this post some time ago. You might want to download that and reevaluate

ShiKage89

Purple Turtle
Donor
Apr 9, 2017
@toolkitxx Nice work so far, Think you made the best choice on making it like this from what I remember hearing of the messed up the coding seemed lol >.<.

Any way Good luck with the game an can't wait to see how it will turn out.

Reactions: toolkitxx

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
When should we expect it? :)
Too old to fall for that trap :D
Dont expect and you shall be rewarded - i had a major delay due to some unforeseen job commitments but i am getting back on track currently. So - 'soonish' would be my serious answer.

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
How big is this comparing it to Girl life as of now?
I assume you ask about content wise: Tiny - which would be based on my last time i dealt with GL which is actually quite a while back.
I am taking my time to have functions available as general fucntionality so any kind of content can use them without the need to handcode a lot later on. Once i am through with those content addition will be quite rapidly.

Anexia

Dec 31, 2018
Glad to see this is still alive, QSP is never easy to work with in all honesty, but one thing I do know about QSP games is that they have room to grow into something so much bigger then the horde of 10-20 minute content Renpy games that have been plaguing the site lately (and yes that's a shot at em for claiming to be choice games but essentially roll down into absolutely no choice single click story books with pictures). I honestly look forward to more updates in this and to see where it goes. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
First of all:

Sorry for the major delay in progress but real life took a different turn on me for a few months than i had wished for (substituting a sick colleague being the major factor here). I finally have my agreement for no-travel back which means i can dive properly into my coding again.

The next update will have the proper version of extra navigation ready as well as some progress with the intro to other mechanics. I am currently working on a way to enable you (the player) to 'skip' time or create sets of activities for a given period of time (a full day for example) to ease of some of the necessary grind further down the road. This is a pretty complex problem i want to solve right now based on your feedback and questions. Its a problem that requires solving also for features like fast travel via the map. So the upcoming update wont have much extra content but more refined usability.

Thank you for your patience

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
INFO

Updated to version 1.02 - please read the release notes as new player and code changes require a new game start

Looking forward to everyone's feedback

Higurashika

Nov 15, 2018
I have a bug(?) with hunger - i need eat about 5-7 times to reset hunger status.

What about quest content? I cannot speak with sister or friend about revenge. I guess it's the end for now?

And dat word "mamuschka". In modern russian there is no such word. Mb in some villages as dialect, but certainly not in the cities. You should use "mamochka/mamulya" instead. There is similar "matuschka" but teens don't use it.

3.00 star(s) 3 Votes