Save files for renpy

Elloverboy69

Dec 9, 2017
How do I put an existing save file in to a RenPY game? I have the file and save. I put it in the save folder. But i can't find the save in my game though. Can anyone give me some insight?

TheBlueKnight

Discussion Dynamo
Respected User
Jr. Uploader
Oct 1, 2018
What's the numbers on the save, if it's 2-1 for example it will be on page two of the save and load menus. If the save was just embedded in a post here you'll have to rename, so a save called 796131_7-6-LT1 should be just 7-6-LT1.

Black_Prince

Jan 27, 2020
Another case: I also struggle to implement downloaded save games and even put my backup save games (from previous game version!) back doesn't work as well, so I stuck with no working save games atm and it seems as I have to play the whole story again which is much work.

I already tried /home/username/Games/FILF-1.0b-pc/saves folder and replaced the saves there
I also tried to replace saves at /home/user/.renpy/FILF-1519418986

I also did both with deleting the save games folder completely, start game, start a new game (to create saves folder) and then copy save game there, same result.

result:
ingame save game screenshot changed and save date, but when to try to load save game I still start a whole new game - what do I do wrong? I do not understand at all...

side note: I play on linux.

Please can anybody help me? This is just the first of some games with new updates where I wanna play further after updating without starting from beginning... I wonder how others do after downloading game update?

EDIT: Is there a tutorial how to handle save games anywhere in general on ren'py games and maybe for rpgm- games as well becuase I wanna do the same with the genesis order next?

Last edited:

TheBlueKnight

Discussion Dynamo
Respected User
Jr. Uploader
Oct 1, 2018
Usually when loading saves trigger a new game I think it's incompatibility. Like a mod being or not being installed, or some change made in the game. If you check the F.I.L.F change log it sounds like saves used to...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Assuming Linux and Windows saves are the same I would maybe try one of the ones posted in the game thread.

I quite liked Hard Times, but stopped playing after five or so updates as every time saves would just start a new game and I got tired of skipping.

Unless there's a reason Ren'Py should find the appdata (or home) save, RPGM usually has a save folder in the games.

Edit - If you check the Genesis Order opening post it tells you the (unusual going by Japanese RPGM games) save location.

Last edited:
Reactions: Black_Prince

Black_Prince

Jan 27, 2020
Usually when loading saves trigger a new game I think it's incompatibility. Like a mod being or not being installed, or some change made in the game. If you check the F.I.L.F change log it sounds like saves used to...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Assuming Linux and Windows saves are the same I would maybe try one of the ones posted in the game thread.

I quite liked Hard Times, but stopped playing after five or so updates as every time saves would just start a new game and I got tired of skipping.

Unless there's a reason Ren'Py should find the appdata (or home) save, RPGM usually has a save folder in the games.

Edit - If you check the Genesis Order opening post it tells you the (unusual going by Japanese RPGM games) save location.
much appreciated reply, thank you very much it helps, at least a bit! I really hoped the mistake would have been located on myself and there is a solution and not because of incompatibility of the versions... I feel your frustration because I have the same with these ren'py save situation... That's why I try and prefer to only play completed games, but sometimes you get curious and look what is upcoming next and then the curiosity is too strong and you end in start playing unfinished games as well until you reach an end and then wait unpatient until next update just to realize that your save won't work... so annoying!

Is there no possibility to solve this issue for ren'py games once for all?

Reactions: TheBlueKnight

TheBlueKnight

Discussion Dynamo
Respected User
Jr. Uploader
Oct 1, 2018
Is there no possibility to solve this issue for ren'py games once for all?
I don't think I've ever started playing a already completed Ren'Py game, they've always been ongoing. But most of the time I've had no issue, and if there is there should be a warning somewhere. Like The DeLuca Family for example, where 0.07 was a massive game overhaul meaning no previous saves worked.