• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Mod Ren'Py Save Game Description [1.5.2][Mattock]

Mattock

May 27, 2018
In earlier versions of my SGD I made a extra-file for every game that needed adjustments. (e.g. MttkModSaveRButtForWaifuAc0_9_8a.rpy in ReturnButtonForWaifuAc0_9_8a.zip )
That files also only were working for a specific version of the game.
I now have collected all adjustments into one file: MttkModSavesSpecials.rpy
I also made it that the adjustments should work with every version of the games.
Sofar I made adjustments for the following games:
-Unlimited Pleasure
-Waifu Academy
-Sword of Wonder
-Master Of The Earth2 - Reborn(MOTE2)
(-SuperPowered(SP) - atm. untested with actual game-version!)

Some "old" games don't use the file_slot-screen but the file_picker(MOTE2 and SP).
There the screenshot-thumbnails are very small(50x66 by default), I offer an option to store the savegames with bigger screenshots.
But be warned! If you use bigger(modded) screenshots and the deinstall the SGD-MOD, these bigger screenshots may cover the navigation! (see screenshots in later in this post for SuperPowered(SP))

If you don't play a game I listed here with adjustments you can safely delete the MttkModSavesSpecials.rpy(and .rpyc).

------

I also made an adjustment for SuperPowered,
but I don't have the actual version...mebbe the dev even changed to file_slot himself...but I wanted another game to "play with the file_picker", so I used the old version I still got here on my HD:

SuperPowered_v0.42.01 with AONmod_1.08a (roughly from dec 2020)

So, if someone of you has the actual version of SuperPowered and it still uses the file_picker why don't give it a try and tell me about the result? Thx in advance!
preferably also tested with the actual AONmod(I know I was VERY happy about that MOD!!!), uncommonly there should be no problem between these two MODs.

But be warned, if you change the screenshot-thumbnail-size to "modded" and deinstall my SGD-MOD if at least one savegame on the page has the bigger size, the navigation is covered!
See attached 2nd screenshot, then you'll see what I mean.
1st shot is SP with MOD using file_slot
and 3rd shot is MOTE2 with bigger screenshot-thumbnail when SGD-MOD was deinstalled; note that navigation is not covered, but it uses a different font that e.g. does not know the underline(_)-char!
hav phun!

Mattock

May 27, 2018
1.5.1 my first version for android!
one wouldn't believe how small the code-changes compared to 1.5.0 finally were...

I still think there may arise some style and font-size issues...
(feedback would be very welcome, but best with at least one screenshot and the willingness to provide the .rpyc from the .apk ; thank you very much in advance!)
but I deem the overall handling should now be sufficient!

clicking(touching) on "save-game-description" should activate your onscreen-keyboard
(as those nearly never have cursor-keys, even if you had cursor-keys don't expect to be able to navigate with them!)
(also for me there was no visible "cursor"...needs a bit get used to for me...)
edit "save-game-description" or "SGD" to your liking and save.

instead middle-click, now longpress(by default I increase duration to 1.5s) work as the key to take over an existing description!
(if you do have a mouse on your touch device, middle-click still works)

I hope you enjoy, greets Mattock

ArunPrime

Nov 5, 2022
1.5.1 my first version for android!
one wouldn't believe how small the code-changes compared to 1.5.0 finally were...

I still think there may arise some style and font-size issues...
(feedback would be very welcome, but best with at least one screenshot and the willingness to provide the .rpyc from the .apk ; thank you very much in advance!)
but I deem the overall handling should now be sufficient!

clicking(touching) on "save-game-description" should activate your onscreen-keyboard
(as those nearly never have cursor-keys, even if you had cursor-keys don't expect to be able to navigate with them!)
(also for me there was no visible "cursor"...needs a bit get used to for me...)
edit "save-game-description" or "SGD" to your liking and save.

instead middle-click, now longpress(by default I increase duration to 1.5s) work as the key to take over an existing description!
(if you do have a mouse on your touch device, middle-click still works)

I hope you enjoy, greets Mattock
Thanks for the new update.
Honestly I'm just found this page searching for save description in renpy.
It would be nice to have more features. (textbox opacity , text size , more save slots per page) like a tools for all games.
I'm saved more save slots and delete button in screens then applied this mod. I can't access my settings in game menu. That's why I want all in one file
Thank you I'm really appreciate your work:love:

Last edited:

Mattock

May 27, 2018
hello ArunPrime,

about more save-games per save-game-page:
1st MAJOR problem: if you increase "size", i.e. normally there are 6 save-games per page; if you now let's say save a 1-7-LT1.save with a MOD, and then the MOD is absent again(for whatever reason):
you will not be able to load that save-game!!!(until you e.g. reanme it to 1-1-LT1.save)

But I thought: "Oh, well, it looks easily doable, why not implement it(with a BIG warning!) for some people that like to play(save) differently than me?"

So I tried (with RenPy 7.3.5 / 8.0 / 8.1) to change
gui.file_slot_cols
and
gui.file_slot_rows

and that proved fatal(for me)
-unexpectedly after changing the gui-vars ingame, the grid of the screen did NOT change!
-by default there is NO scrollbar and you can't even scroll by mouse-wheel!
-if there are too much rows and cols to fit on the screen, they're "outside" and you cannot reach them!

This would mean, I would have to CHANGE the default:
grid gui.file_slot_cols gui.file_slot_rows:
style_prefix "slot"#style_prefix "mttkModStyFsGrid"
AND provide scrollability. (by default a grid is not scrollable, look at the history-screen how it is done there!..)
This is of course doable for every single game...BUT chances (imho) are HIGH, one will have to adjust "stuff"(e.g. font-sizes and styles) for EVERY game.

and, well, third: personally I prefer not to be required to scroll on save-game-pages...
That's why I make roughly 100 pages available (instead 10).
I know everybody plays differently, but I would deem if you give it a chance, you could change from, let's say 10 pages with with 50 save-games to 99 pages with 6 save-games...

bottomline:
without a MOD:
-more pages may be "hard" to access, but POSSIBLE!
-while more saves per page will be UNACCESSIBLE!

also it will require (me) to make changes to the file_slots-screen
-with a good chance of many different incompatibilities per single game

->I'm not going to do it, so if you insist on that feature, you have to look for another MOD, sorry.

------
textbox-stuff:
In a "full-MOD" I do some "general optical changes", and in the past that had included(e.g.for some unpublished MODs) changes to the "textbox" (I would prefer to talk about the say-screen), but that is totally unrelated to save-games, save-game-pages aswell as quick -save and -load, what THIS MOD is all about.
(admittably screenshots are unrelated too...but the relation stems from "keys"/gestures that are needed for android)
Also, from what I see in RenPy 8.1, RenPy itself does preferences about opacity and even colors...not to talk about "bubbles", which will be a future challange.

bottomline:
-unrelated to this MOD; personally I consider it OFF-topic
-will never be part of "Save-Game-Description"-MOD
sorry again

------
lastly to your cryptic talk about not being able to access "your settings in game menu"...after applying my MOD:
-besides adjustments(MOTE&SP to be specific) I DO NOT change the game_menu-screen !!!
generally:
-1st off: one must consider my MOD incompatible with other MODs
--tho the idea is: if the other MOD does nothing about save-games, it may nonetheless be compatible
-technical: I change the "screen file_slots( title )" (and add a function to the "JSON-callback")
--if you too change that screen, either MY changes OR YOUR changes ARE LOST
(---and why would anyone put settings for the say-screen into the file_slots-screen?)

If I misunderstood you, please tell me! But please with CLEAR description (and pot. MEANINGFUL: log/traceback/screenshot/code-block).
btw. "your really appreciation" of my work wasn't even worth a lousy like to the OP, but why do I always expect the impossible...
happy playing, greets Mattock

ArunPrime

Nov 5, 2022
hello ArunPrime,

about more save-games per save-game-page:
1st MAJOR problem: if you increase "size", i.e. normally there are 6 save-games per page; if you now let's say save a 1-7-LT1.save with a MOD, and then the MOD is absent again(for whatever reason):
you will not be able to load that save-game!!!(until you e.g. reanme it to 1-1-LT1.save)

But I thought: "Oh, well, it looks easily doable, why not implement it(with a BIG warning!) for some people that like to play(save) differently than me?"

So I tried (with RenPy 7.3.5 / 8.0 / 8.1) to change
gui.file_slot_cols
and
gui.file_slot_rows

and that proved fatal(for me)
-unexpectedly after changing the gui-vars ingame, the grid of the screen did NOT change!
-by default there is NO scrollbar and you can't even scroll by mouse-wheel!
-if there are too much rows and cols to fit on the screen, they're "outside" and you cannot reach them!

This would mean, I would have to CHANGE the default:
grid gui.file_slot_cols gui.file_slot_rows:
style_prefix "slot"#style_prefix "mttkModStyFsGrid"
AND provide scrollability. (by default a grid is not scrollable, look at the history-screen how it is done there!..)
This is of course doable for every single game...BUT chances (imho) are HIGH, one will have to adjust "stuff"(e.g. font-sizes and styles) for EVERY game.

and, well, third: personally I prefer not to be required to scroll on save-game-pages...
That's why I make roughly 100 pages available (instead 10).
I know everybody plays differently, but I would deem if you give it a chance, you could change from, let's say 10 pages with with 50 save-games to 99 pages with 6 save-games...

bottomline:
without a MOD:
-more pages may be "hard" to access, but POSSIBLE!
-while more saves per page will be UNACCESSIBLE!

also it will require (me) to make changes to the file_slots-screen
-with a good chance of many different incompatibilities per single game

->I'm not going to do it, so if you insist on that feature, you have to look for another MOD, sorry.

------
textbox-stuff:
In a "full-MOD" I do some "general optical changes", and in the past that had included(e.g.for some unpublished MODs) changes to the "textbox" (I would prefer to talk about the say-screen), but that is totally unrelated to save-games, save-game-pages aswell as quick -save and -load, what THIS MOD is all about.
(admittably screenshots are unrelated too...but the relation stems from "keys"/gestures that are needed for android)
Also, from what I see in RenPy 8.1, RenPy itself does preferences about opacity and even colors...not to talk about "bubbles", which will be a future challange.

bottomline:
-unrelated to this MOD; personally I consider it OFF-topic
-will never be part of "Save-Game-Description"-MOD
sorry again

------
lastly to your cryptic talk about not being able to access "your settings in game menu"...after applying my MOD:
-besides adjustments(MOTE&SP to be specific) I DO NOT change the game_menu-screen !!!
generally:
-1st off: one must consider my MOD incompatible with other MODs
--tho the idea is: if the other MOD does nothing about save-games, it may nonetheless be compatible
-technical: I change the "screen file_slots( title )" (and add a function to the "JSON-callback")
--if you too change that screen, either MY changes OR YOUR changes ARE LOST
(---and why would anyone put settings for the say-screen into the file_slots-screen?)

If I misunderstood you, please tell me! But please with CLEAR description (and pot. MEANINGFUL: log/traceback/screenshot/code-block).
btw. "your really appreciation" of my work wasn't even worth a lousy like to the OP, but why do I always expect the impossible...
happy playing, greets Mattock
Hi Mattock,
First of all English is not my first language so sorry for not explaining clearly.

I know it's off topic, I'm using seperate files for playing games Also I can't edit everytime I'm playing new games that's why I'm asked is it possible to make all in one file (It's just a thought).

Finally Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:

Mattock

May 27, 2018
only now have I realized, that when I said to look at new RenPy-versions, I looked at the WRONG place!!!

but luckily(for me!) the only thing really changed in the past few years, are the 2 new buttons for RenPy-Sync that came with RenPy 8.1 (7.6) !
Nobody complained so far, and I myself am not a "fan" of that "feature"...
therefore by default my MOD is NOT showing the sync-buttons, but with version 1.5.2.1 you can activate them in "opts (&help)". (see readme for 2nd opt if interested)

I don't (fore)see any problem with "sync-ing" and my MOD, but in fact, I cannot really test...therefore I would welcome feedback from someone who used "sync-ing"!

If all works as expected such feedback would be:
-Uploaded and Downloaded Sync before installing(using) SGD-MOD
-installed SGD-MOD and given a new save a description
-(light) deinstalled SGD-MOD(deleted zMttkModFolder)
-Uploaded and Downloaded Sync: save with description totally OK
-installed SGD-MOD and given a new save a description
-Uploaded and Downloaded Sync: all saves with description totally OK

thanks for your patience! happy playing, Mattock