Saves not traveling to new version of the game

nenaliina

Nov 15, 2022
I've started to have this issue recently with some of my games (Urban Gal, Inner Empire for an example) while the others (Desert Stalker, The Pilgrimage for an example) have no issues.
I use the same browser and the games new versions do support saves from the previous versions.
It's pretty dull to always start a new game, especially if the game mechanics include "grinding".

I also tried to save to the disk but it does it as a text file and then the "load from disk" can't find it..

I use Firefox so could it be an issue? I know the saves sometimes won't travel between browsers but on this instance I haven't been switching them. Does anyone know how to fix?

Insomnimaniac Games

Degenerate Handholder
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
Inner Empire and Urban gal are HTML games, so your saves are tied to your browsers cookies. Desert Stalker is renpy and is stored locally.

nenaliina

Nov 15, 2022
Inner Empire and Urban gal are HTML games, so your saves are tied to your browsers cookies. Desert Stalker is renpy and is stored locally.
So what should I do? I used Chrome for years and never had this issue so I literally have no clue what to do. I haven't changed cookies, deleted any of them or done anything to them.

Insomnimaniac Games

Degenerate Handholder
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
So what should I do? I used Chrome for years and never had this issue so I literally have no clue what to do. I haven't changed cookies, deleted any of them or done anything to them.
I don't use firefox, but I'd check it's settings to make sure it isn't deleting cookies when the browser closes. Also probably obvious, but make sure you aren't playing in incognito mode.

nenaliina

Nov 15, 2022
Wouldn't it delete the current saves too if the cookies were deleted?

I mean I could play the old saves of for an example 1.6 version without issues five minutes earlier, but when launching the 1.7 version of the same html game without closing the browser it doesn't have the saves, and I can't load them from the disk either.

Even if I close the browser the old saves are kept in the older version, and new saves are kept in the newer version of the game. The old saves just don't travel to the new version

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Developer notes for Urban Gal says current version does not support saves from older versions. Are you sure that Inner Empire does?

Save to disk should save the files as .save files. Does it not?

When you save to disk, look in which folder the save file is saved, and then when loading from disk, make sure that you are looking in that same folder.

Edit: Did some testing, and it seems Firefox requires the exact same file path and name for the .html to find old saves through the browser (Chrome doesn't have this issue). So, if you have the .html in another folder now than when you did the save, or the html changed name, you won't find old saves in the browser cache. However, loading from disk still works. You just have to look for the save file in the right location, as I mentioned above.

Last edited: