Ren'Py Say screen image positioning in character definitions [solved]

Lou111

Jun 2, 2018
My images are ysize 798 with a 282 textbox (default)
They are made this way to rest above the say screen seamlessly, nothing more...
I feel a bit controlled or maybe inhibited, but I can handle that cause I'm an adult.
screenshot0012.png
As you see I get some results that are "acceptable".

Now let's put a custom image as the text box background so my game looks less like a freshman powerpoint slideshow:

Python:
define d2 = Character("Lou111", image = "duck", color="#005CFF", window_background="/gui/textbox duck.png")
screenshot0011.png
As you see I get some results that are "completely trash".
The spacing between the image and the textbox not only looks bad, but is so distracting it makes the game uplayable.
I wanted to show you what it looks like when there's a .png image there and there's a gap under someone's legs but you'd probably lose your eye-sight.

screenshot0013.png
I'm trying to figure out where in the options and settings this is happening.
Or just a way to write in the character definition that I don't need the extra pixel decoration.
Is this padding or an appended vbox image? It's a mystery...

Any help would be appreciated, thanks all.

Lou111

Jun 2, 2018
I was drinking some ice-cold non-deluded cold-brew coffee, the home-made stuff, you know.
On my balcony in the middle of the night listening to some lofi beats staring at a tree.
Manipulating astronomy, seeing smells...formulating this shit on new levels. Quantifying emotions.
After deducing the physics, I sat down and typed in the height that I wished my textbox would be when defining
Code:
gui.textbox_height
and it fixed it.
The reason I'm writing this the way that I am is that I wanted someone to know that I have attempted this already.
This is divine intervention.
If anyone else has had a similar experience, feel free to message me.

Last edited: