[S> Other] Scene Rendering outsourcing

Oct 25, 2020
I have 2 computers, and I work long hours. During the day, I am willing to use my computers for rendering help. I read dev's saying how long it takes to render each scene. My main 'gaming' machine is i5 8800, 2080 Ti, 16 gigs ram, my other is i5 6600k, 1070 Ti, 16 gigs ram. I just want to help pump out content so I can jerk off more.

I honestly have no idea how the whole process works, but I imagine if i have the same software, models, you send me the scene (models posed, lighting set, parameters parametrized ) i load it up, and hit the 'render' button. So when I'm at work, you could potentially have an additional 2 computers pumping out scenes, possibility multiplying your output by x1.5. My ISP doesn't care about bandwidth limits. Last month I downloaded 800gigs, with 80 gigs upload. So downloading the scene from you , and uploading finished scenes directly to you (jpg, PNG or whatever format) won't be an issue either.

Skills:
- jerking off, dying in rogue lite games, failing Hitman missions, carpentry

Preferred method of contact:
- Discord, steam chat.
-File transfer can be done with Dropbox, Discord, Whats app, maybe even email (10mb limit per email)

Employment Type & Rates:
- Free, if demand increases, this may be negotiated, but unlikely

Availability:
- part time (crunch time relief)

Work Samples:
- i got nothing, empty portfolio

Additional comments:
-Logistical questions, and concerns can be discussed here, or offline. I have no affiliation with any company that has anything to do with online work, software, computer hardware, or anything related to this industry. I don't care about your assets and won't be selling your scenes elsewhere.

Reactions: AstorethGames

CardinalRed

Amazing Dev
Game Developer
Sep 8, 2021
Very nice. For sure it's a lot of work setting up the same products and such, but it's very doable.
Thank you for this.

Overfoxed

Dec 23, 2021
I don't need to take advantage of your offer, just wanted to stop by and say how heartwarming it is to see someone willing to offer their time and service in the name of jacking it. A true community spirit.

Oct 25, 2020
My biggest questions now that I've had time to chew on this.
-How much HDD space I need. Before software & assets, and free space after its all preloaded (I currently have 1,414.74gigs from just VN's, so I have a base understanding of whats needed)
-Can the HDD be a portable HDD, ie... WD Red
-Does each game engine need a different program? Because maybe I might be specialized in the beginning, but I'd be willing to render all types. It's your scenes, so it'll be your options set to the program. So output should be same same. (theoretically)

Also, I don't want my name on the credits to any games. I'm not making the game, I'm just whoring out my computer / giving yours a pep talk / coffee / overclocking your rig without overclocking it.

Last edited:

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
Hi, it's a noble mission the one you're taking, so I'll try answering some of your questions.
I'm familiar only with Daz Studio and Poser (10 years since I last opened it) so all my answers are about that system.
I never worked with programs like Illusion Honey Select, but I heard that they don't take rendering time, so I suspect you won't get requests using them.

-How much HDD space I need. Before software & assets, and free space after its all preloaded (I currently have 1,414.74gigs from just VN's, so I have a base understanding of whats needed)
Obviously, the answer is "it depends".
A program like Daz Studio will eat away all your teras very fast: every dev will have a completely different set of assets (let's say one is making a dark fantasy so they'll need orcs, fairies, woods, castles, skimpy magician robes, skimpy peasant clothes, shining armours, skimpy armours... another will be making a game of interplanetary exploration with spaceships, spacesuits, aliens, gorgeous backdrops, HD planets... another's setting will be all over your typical college game with a few dozen characters and another a cyberpunk and another a zombie war and maybe you'll find someone that's doing a steampunk/weird-west/sky pirates crossover game).
Every character, even normal everyday humans, will have different textures and hair and clothing and nowadays an asset can easily take away about one Gb when unpacked.

So expect very little overlapping of assets between authors.

-Can the HDD be a portable HDD, ie... WD Red
For Daz Studio on Windows 10: yes, without issue.
My home computer is not a powerful rig, so I sometimes carry my renders at work, where the computer has an up-to-date graphic card and renders 10x faster. So I loaded all my assets and scenes on an old portable HDD and when I'm alone I launch DAZ and do some renders I set up at home. The computer at work has only the program, everything is stored in the external HDD (but I've a copy on my home computer so I don't have problems with backup).
A program like FreeSync is very helpful for this.
My portable HDD is old and gets corrupted often and there are other issues, but I think a modern external SSD would work flawlessly and you won't even need to keep a backup since if something gets screwed up you can just redownload the files.

-Does each game engine need a different program?
If you are asking: "This dev is making a VN with Renpy, so I've to render with Program X, this other dev is making an open world with RPGM, so I need to render with Program Y..." No, still renders are still renders. PNG images. It'll be the dev job to put them in the game engine they want to use. And the same can be said for the animations.
But it will happen that some devs will be working with Daz, others with another rendering program, etc. That's independent of the game engine they'll use.

Because maybe I might be specialized in the beginning, but I'd be willing to render all types. It's your scenes, so it'll be your options set to the program. So output should be same same. (theoretically)
I think you're asking about the rendering options (viewport size, filtering, exposition, etc). In Daz Studio and in Poser, those are written in the scene, not in the program's preferences, so they are ported when the dev will give you the scene's file.

Also, I don't want my name on the credits to any games. I'm not making the game, I'm just whoring out my computer / giving yours a pep talk / coffee / overclocking your rig without overclocking it.
Writing "And special thanks to Demogorgon 1422" in the credits costs nothing, so a dev must truly be a jerk for not doing that, even if you don't ask for it ;)

P.S.
Dev: "Oh, nice, Demorgon sent me the links to the renders of the animation I asked him... Oh shit: the lights are too strong, shadows are washed away, that girl's expression is creepy and there's a reflection on the bike that doesn't fit the scene. If I were doing the render myself I would've noticed in 1 minute, instead, this way I lost two days..."
Expect this to happen.

Reactions: Demogorgon1422

strenif

Engaged Member
Aug 18, 2017
Your biggest issue is going to be having the same assets. I do some animation rendering for a dev and matching assets is a long ongoing process. Don't think this is a simple 'load a file and kick of a render'

Oct 25, 2020
Thank you for the response and breaking down my post. It was nicer than expected based on length. (There's a joke in there, somewhere)

If I were doing the render myself I would've noticed in 1 minute, instead, this way I lost two days..."
Expect this to happen.
I wonder if theres a utility that automatically uploads to a ftp type server. So while next scene is rendering, the previous scene is uploaded in real time.

But still, the problem still remains, fixing the shot. Would need to find specific scene, load, render, then delete bad shot, before taints the stack of shots. Would be time consuming on its own to find it; wiping out time saved from outsourcing.

Oct 25, 2020
Your biggest issue is going to be having the same assets. I do some animation rendering for a dev and matching assets is a long ongoing process. Don't think this is a simple 'load a file and kick of a render'
I plead ignorant to how much assets change during production, or between clientside updates.