Daz Scenes keep asking to install Gen 8 essentials

GrayTShirt

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2019
I render alot of scenes while I sleep and work using ManFriday's RenderQueue. And without fail, I'll get a window asking to install Genesis 8 Essentials. I've even re-opened every scene and saved them after having to do it over and over, and it still happens.
I'll have 20 scenes ready to go, but as soon as it hits #2... "Install essentials"...
How do I fix it!
I'm still using Daz 4.16 because of the horror stories I've heard of 4.20. Am I going to have to bite the bullet and update?

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I'm still using Daz 4.16 because of the horror stories I've heard of 4.20. Am I going to have to bite the bullet and update?
Since mickydoo answered already (I don't use batch renderers regardless, though. My computer's been getting weird AIO issues like 'pump failure' despite temps being fine, so better to not chance it and destroy a CPU.), I'll say 4.20 is fine, those horror stories were overblown. Your worst issue is having to back to every scene you used Ghost Lights and replacing them with new ones.

People made a big fuss about Ghost Lights (the only thing really effected that matters to anyone.), but all it took was a week for Kindred Arts (and maybe even sooner for SickleYield) to pop out working versions for 4.20. I prefer SY's, which are a bit easier to use, but you can't go wrong with either. The only other common complaint I've seen is that Daz removed SLI (or something of that sort), and in all honestly, it's a first world problem that not even the company that created it cared about any longer. If anything, it's been faster than 4.15/4.16 (though, I'm also on a higher-end system so that may skew things for me.)

Reactions: GrayTShirt

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
People made a big fuss about Ghost Lights (the only thing really effected that matters to anyone.), but all it took was a week for Kindred Arts (and maybe even sooner for SickleYield) to pop out working versions for 4.20. I prefer SY's, which are a bit easier to use, but you can't go wrong with either.
Cranking lumens by a factor of 15 billions ain't really a fix imho, it's madness.

My guess is frustration ain't really much about ghost lights, but Daz incapacity to deliver anything meaningful in their own software that has been outsourced/middleware from elsewhere. Poor implementation, maintenance mode, marketing, rince & repeat (VDB, garibaldi/SBH hair, Filament, Dforce, Iray, Animate...) .

They just can't fix a damn thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrayTShirt