xrayman2k4

Jun 10, 2017
I haven't played this since it was SLC pre-Patreon prudes, and my question relates to what did I miss for Wednesday afternoons? Do I just skip to 1600 or did I miss an event before classes ended? Most other afternoons I'll be off joining in, etc but this day there is nowt to do. Halp!!

Retro

Retired
Former Staff
Sep 7, 2017
I haven't played this since it was SLC pre-Patreon prudes, and my question relates to what did I miss for Wednesday afternoons? Do I just skip to 1600 or did I miss an event before classes ended? Most other afternoons I'll be off joining in, etc but this day there is nowt to do. Halp!!
Depending on what events you've already done and what you've unlocked there may not be any events at certain times. Just check the map to see if theres anyone in a location and go see if theres a speach bubble or not.

Notretsam

Game Developer
Nov 1, 2017
so played this Halloween update once, just played it via the special event option, which is fantastic idea putting it there, gives you a chance to see all the options and then decide what you want to do in story-line side.

I am a little concerned about something, there is so many choices in this Halloween event, that am thinking its really difficult to work out the amount of saves for each option, so my question is this @Walkius ,

1) is this Halloween event just a fun thing that doesn't effect anything in the overall story?

or

2) does your choices have a big bearing on future events?

Amount of achievements there is, appears it be many saves to cover all options, which many would do within reason. If the answer is 2 , then that kinda sucks but it sorta cool, am a little unsure on how I feel about 2 right now.

overall, the Halloween update is great, so much going on, was one heck of a party. lol

U

User_1213174

so played this Halloween update once, just played it via the special event option, which is fantastic idea putting it there, gives you a chance to see all the options and then decide what you want to do in story-line side.

I am a little concerned about something, there is so many choices in this Halloween event, that am thinking its really difficult to work out the amount of saves for each option, so my question is this @Walkius ,

1) is this Halloween event just a fun thing that doesn't effect anything in the overall story?

or

2) does your choices have a big bearing on future events?

Amount of achievements there is, appears it be many saves to cover all options, which many would do within reason. If the answer is 2 , then that kinda sucks but it sorta cool, am a little unsure on how I feel about 2 right now.

overall, the Halloween update is great, so much going on, was one heck of a party. lol
I played through the new update using the players guide and there was no mention of any relationship score going up or down. I also compared the saved game before and after and couldn't spot any changes so it appears the choices made don't actually make any differences to the game. They appear to only be events to collect in that achievement gallery on the menu screen

Reactions: fugazi666

DuDraig

Oct 6, 2017
I will admit that I am very frustrated with this game. Yes, it's a WIP but even a test player is left dangling with no clue on a number of things.
  1. What is up with Bill? He tasks you with improving your stealth so that you can help him spy on the girls bathroom and then never responds again no matter your level of stealth. There is no event route in the notebook for this.
  2. In the Black and White route, you are instructed to "Spy on the girls in the lockers.". There are no lockers in the school map nor is there any event involving a locker room that allows you to spy on Karly and Christie. All you get is a scene with Alice, Ako, Emily, Vickie, and someone else but no Karly and Christie and no way to progress that route.
  3. You are told, after you hack the computer teacher's phone, that you can now hack for money but there is no way to do so.
  4. What kind of bar/diner/cafe closes at 6pm???!!! You can not meet someone in the park right after school and then go work a shift.
  5. The dates are nothing more than random chance with no guidance. You have no choice but to save and keep reloading through as many different choice combinations as you can stand to get the best result you can find, and even then you have no idea if it even was the best result possible.
  6. The author of "The Lord of the Rings" is "J. R. R. Tolkien" and not "J. R. Tolkien" (who, I think, was a minor black-sheep cousin on "Dynasty". <rim-shot>). :p
These are only some of the many examples of inconsistencies and dangling routes that currently exist in this game. I would hope that the upcoming v1.2 release will have just as much time dedicated to fixing the problems as there is to creating new content. From the message in this thread, it sounds like these continuing problems are frustrating people and losing Patreon support. This would be a shame because it's a nice game that is pleasant to play and has almost enough route interest to make the grinding worthwhile. I'm looking forward to future updates.

U

User_1213174

@DuDraig

Point 1 - Oh yes he does - you've obviously not completed the game
Point 2 - Yes there is - obviously you've not completed that event properly either
Point 3 - true, but it was in the older version of the game (pre-Unity change) and is obviously one thing not ported over straight away but will be returning in future updates.
Point 4 - we don't really know if the bar/cafe closes at 6pm - that's just when your potential shift ends, remember this is a game not real life and needs to fit, programming wise, around all the other little events going on in the evening.
Point 5 - that's why he's put the practice runs on the menu screen
Point 6 - true, but then there are a lot of typing errors in the game which will, hopefully, be tidied up when the game comes closer to completion

the game is not losing Patreon support - the figures go down after release and tend to start rising when the new update is due or released - and they're usually pretty consistent.

DuDraig

Oct 6, 2017
Point 1 - Oh yes he does - you've obviously not completed the game
Well now, let's see... I'm at day 51 (October 25), I've had raised stealth since the first week and it is now at 10. There is no mention of this route or its progress in the route notebook. When you eat lunch with Bill, all he says is "Have a good lunch Nate." (Man, that is SO creepy!). You can not converse with Bill anywhere else, especially when he is kneeling in front of the girls bathroom, the stated target of this route. From a player's point of view, this route is definitely broken. You have done what you were told to do but Bill gives you no feedback on what is lacking. There may be something that randomly happens in the last days of the month but the player has spent two game months completely in the dark. This whole route is a frustrating annoyance and needs to be fixed or re-designed.
Point 2 - Yes there is - obviously you've not completed that event properly either
As I said in the OP, there are no locker rooms on the school map and no direction on how to spy on the girls. I'm at day 51 (October 25) and have yet to be given any opportunity or clue on how to advance this route as directed. While something random may happen before the end of this month, from a player's point of view, this route has been broken for a game month and a half. A game is not about waiting for something random to happen.
Point 3 - true, but it was in the older version of the game (pre-Unity change) and is obviously one thing not ported over straight away but will be returning in future updates.
And, therefore, it should have either been deleted until completely ported, or there should be an end-of-route-content message to the test player so that they do not waste their time trying to perform a function that does not yet exist. This kind of thing does not take the test player into account and is bad game design -- and is so easily fixed with a simple text message and/or log entry.
Point 4 - we don't really know if the bar/cafe closes at 6pm - that's just when your potential shift ends, remember this is a game not real life and needs to fit, programming wise, around all the other little events going on in the evening.
And as a game, leaving the player with no clue as to why they can not perform game functions that can and should obviously be performed on the same day, like talking to friends after school and then working a shift, is a point of annoyance and frustration to the players. Being a game is no excuse for bad game design and player abuse. It's hard enough to make enough money in this game while trying to cover the route events, and requiring unrealistic and unreasonable function restrictions breaks the story immersion with bad game design. The whole point of this type of game is story and playability.
Point 5 - that's why he's put the practice runs on the menu screen
That a game function like this requires "practice runs" outside the game is a solid indicator that the function is broken and needs a fix or re-design. The point here is to encourage the game developers to do just that and make the dates a satisfying experience instead of one that disappoints or frustrates the player if you don't get or even know that you got that one perfect route.
Point 6 - true, but then there are a lot of typing errors in the game which will, hopefully, be tidied up when the game comes closer to completion
There are places in this world where misquoting Tolkien's name will get you strung up by your pointy ears. I'm just looking out for the health and safety of our valued developers. <chuckle>
the game is not losing Patreon support - the figures go down after release and tend to start rising when the new update is due or released - and they're usually pretty consistent.
That is a pattern that is opposite what should be expected for a release. The many posts in this thread that specifically mention the intention to no longer support the project prove the frustration test players are having with the game design and playability. The purpose here is to point those failings out to the developers so they can address them and bring the release response back to what it was before. The game is definitely worth the effort to help and support the developers by being more than robotic yes-posters and pointing out those things that negatively impact playability and the game testers.

While this turned a bit wordy, I hope the developers find it helpful as it was intended. :)

Reactions: J_M

Notretsam

Game Developer
Nov 1, 2017
Well now, let's see... I'm at day 51 (October 25), I've had raised stealth since the first week and it is now at 10. There is no mention of this route or its progress in the route notebook. When you eat lunch with Bill, all he says is "Have a good lunch Nate." (Man, that is SO creepy!). You can not converse with Bill anywhere else, especially when he is kneeling in front of the girls bathroom, the stated target of this route. From a player's point of view, this route is definitely broken. You have done what you were told to do but Bill gives you no feedback on what is lacking. There may be something that randomly happens in the last days of the month but the player has spent two game months completely in the dark. This whole route is a frustrating annoyance and needs to be fixed or re-designed.
As I said in the OP, there are no locker rooms on the school map and no direction on how to spy on the girls. I'm at day 51 (October 25) and have yet to be given any opportunity or clue on how to advance this route as directed. While something random may happen before the end of this month, from a player's point of view, this route has been broken for a game month and a half. A game is not about waiting for something random to happen.
And, therefore, it should have either been deleted until completely ported, or there should be an end-of-route-content message to the test player so that they do not waste their time trying to perform a function that does not yet exist. This kind of thing does not take the test player into account and is bad game design -- and is so easily fixed with a simple text message and/or log entry.
And as a game, leaving the player with no clue as to why they can not perform game functions that can and should obviously be performed on the same day, like talking to friends after school and then working a shift, is a point of annoyance and frustration to the players. Being a game is no excuse for bad game design and player abuse. It's hard enough to make enough money in this game while trying to cover the route events, and requiring unrealistic and unreasonable function restrictions breaks the story immersion with bad game design. The whole point of this type of game is story and playability.
That a game function like this requires "practice runs" outside the game is a solid indicator that the function is broken and needs a fix or re-design. The point here is to encourage the game developers to do just that and make the dates a satisfying experience instead of one that disappoints or frustrates the player if you don't get or even know that you got that one perfect route.
There are places in this world where misquoting Tolkien's name will get you strung up by your pointy ears. I'm just looking out for the health and safety of our valued developers. <chuckle>
That is a pattern that is opposite what should be expected for a release. The many posts in this thread that specifically mention the intention to no longer support the project prove the frustration test players are having with the game design and playability. The purpose here is to point those failings out to the developers so they can address them and bring the release response back to what it was before. The game is definitely worth the effort to help and support the developers by being more than robotic yes-posters and pointing out those things that negatively impact playability and the game testers.

While this turned a bit wordy, I hope the developers find it helpful as it was intended. :)
am not going get into a debate with you and I didn't read your last post, but clearly you take your adult gaming way to serious , its meant to be fun and of course you not going like/agree with everything, the game is not being built just for you.

This is one of the most consistent quality games around, it has some flaws sure but there understandable , unless u want to nit pick for no real reason.

Stealth is one of they flaws, something I talked about before but the locker room spying was just added back in last update, yes walkius at some point needs to expand on that.

Reactions: User_1213174
U

User_1213174

I'm at day 51 (October 25)...
Just reaching day 51 means nothing. You obviously haven't done the required things to make it work. I can assure you there is a new scene in the locker rooms with Bill and you can return there on your own to. You can also catch the two lesbians (i forget their names) in the locker room to complete that storyline. You seem to be taking a "superior than everyone else" stance saying you've not seen it so it's obviously all wrong. Maybe you should have a look at the players guide that was written to see what you are doing wrong. 'Nuff said.

Reactions: Tilasair

Walkius

Developer
Game Developer
Sep 24, 2017
@DuDraig @KeithNN @Loneshysoul
Thanks for taking my defense.

DuDraig: I'm attentive about what you said. I understand you said just to make the game better.
As developer, I know my game by heart, so unless someone tells me some paths are hard to find, I couldn't know.
At the end of the game, I want it to be 'almost' perfect. So I'll look about what you said, and see what I can improve.

U

User_1213174

@DuDraig @KeithNN @Loneshysoul
Thanks for taking my defense.
Not a problem. Having an opinion or giving constructive criticism is one thing - but when it's based on total ignorance and then whining about something not being there when it clearly is... well, that's just another level of stupid! This is a game under construction - things won't work properly or will look odd, we just have to put up with it while you, with positive input from the players, can tweak it. It's clear, for anyone bothering to study the real patterns over time, that your Patreons are growing so you're obviously doing something right!

Retro

Retired
Former Staff
Sep 7, 2017
I've been a fan of this game for a long time (Otherwise I wouldnt have been a patron for more than a year) but y'all need to keep an objective outlook on these things. Dudraig brought up nothing but accurate observations.

Notretsam

Game Developer
Nov 1, 2017
I've been a fan of this game for a long time (Otherwise I wouldnt have been a patron for more than a year) but y'all need to keep an objective outlook on these things. Dudraig brought up nothing but accurate observations.
I disagree and stand by my reply, glancing at what he saying, most of it is easily explainable.

Uriel ☁

Nov 28, 2017
I'll try to help you since I've also had problems with some of this.
Most of them are answered by the Player's Guide linked in the OP.

What is up with Bill? He tasks you with improving your stealth so that you can help him spy on the girls bathroom and then never responds again no matter your level of stealth. There is no event route in the notebook for this.
You should go at the school pool (or the school gym, I don't remember right now) at 16:00 on a specific day (I don't remember which one, it should be the one when most classes are there in the afternoon) and you'll find a "spy" icon.

In the Black and White route, you are instructed to "Spy on the girls in the lockers.". There are no lockers in the school map nor is there any event involving a locker room that allows you to spy on Karly and Christie. All you get is a scene with Alice, Ako, Emily, Vickie, and someone else but no Karly and Christie and no way to progress that route.
This happens on Tuesday at 16:00, after they've been to the pool (so says the guide).

3.50 star(s) 61 Votes