Screenshots in renpy

Sep 4, 2017
I wanted to make screenshot of a scene in a renpy game but I got message in a form of a small line of text in one of the game's window's top corners"Failed to save screenshot as pathtothegame'sfolder\screenshot0001.png.". I am getting this error with all renpy games, no matter how many times I am redownloading them, so I don't think that it's the game problem. Also, I think that it's only my problem, because at the time when I started having this error, I saw other people uploading screenshots in some threads.

I don't know what the problem is , what to do with it or where to ask for help. Is it a problem with the folder? I keep all games that I downloaded from F95 ZONE in my "downloads" folder. I've always had them there and I never had that problem.

I tried to find solution on internet, but I din't find anything. Please, somebody, help me, or point me to some website where I cand find solution or help.

Thanks.

Last edited:

bas

retired
Donor
Respected User
Former Staff
May 6, 2017
Are you extracting the games from the zip files before playing them? Sounds like you're just going into the zips with Windows Explorer and playing from there.

Flecc

Donor
Sep 3, 2018
I wanted to make screenshot of a scene in a renpy

Create a screen shot

1, Open game when you get to scene you want press prt top row of keyboard.(usually next to f12 )
2, open paint
3 ,paste into paint
4 ,crop borders out
5, save

voila 1 screen shot

Reactions: bas
Sep 4, 2017
Are you extracting the games from the zip files before playing them? Sounds like you're just going into the zips with Windows Explorer and playing from there.
I am extracting the games from zip folder.

Create a screen shot

1, Open game when you get to scene you want press prt top row of keyboard.(usually next to f12 )
2, open paint
3 ,paste into paint
4 ,crop borders out
5, save

voila 1 screen shot
Thanks. I completely forgot about print screen button. I've always made screenshots of renpy games by pressing the "S" button, and I've never made a screenshot of something else. But when the "S" button stopped working, I got confused.

Reactions: Flecc and bas

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
Maybe it's actually a problem with the folder (permission or whatnot).
Edit the path where the screenshots are saved and see if anything changes.

- create a new folder. For instance C:\User\YOUR_NAME\Desktop\Test (even better, D:\Test if your hard disk is partitioned)
- open the console (open renpy\common\00console.rpy in a text editor; find "config.console = False" and change False to True; save; launch the game; press Shift+O)
- type (the path depends on the folder you have created, of course):
Code:
config.screenshot_pattern = "C:\User\YOUR_NAME\Desktop\Test\screenshot%04d.png"
"screenshot%04d.png" is how screenshots are named (screenshot0001.png, screenshot0002.png, screenshot0003.png, ...)
- press Enter, then press Esc to quit the console

Play the game, press S and see what happens.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
If you are saving the games to a system folder, such as the desktop, you may run into problems; Windows has this thing where if it sees files being created outside of normal processes, it gets a little antsy and stops it.

Try moving the game folder to a different folder and see if you get the same issue.

GioTrev

Nov 9, 2020
Run the exe of the game as an administrator, it worked for me. Sorry for the late response, hope you'll read this