Script writer looking for a Daz Artist.

J..D

Naughty Attic Gaming
Donor
Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019
I recently started working on a game with a partner, but unfortunately due to different visions we had to parts ways as friends.
So right now i am looking for a dedicated person who knows his way around Daz, Photoshop and others.

My script is somewhat ambitious and would require a solid amount of work and vision to create.
I have my own personal experience in Daz studio, but i am looking for help.
I have experience in coding with Ren'py, but my knowledge doesn't go further then creating a simple straight forward VN so expertise on that area would be very much appreciated.

What am i looking for
-Knowledge and skill in using daz studio and all relating programs.
-Some one that i can bounce idea's of to make a better product
-Dedication and willing to put in the time required.

-An extra would be knowledge of Ren'py, but not necessary

What am i making.
I am making a Sci-Fi survival story in a unknown universe, story follows Ian. A 19 year old man who was woken up out of his Cryo-sleep only to see everything falling apart around him.
I will add an example of the script, it will only contain the first 1.3 chapters of the game... Other chapters will remain to my person for obvious reasons.
Main fetish will be Incest, but many others will be explored in the time after that.

What can i offer.
-My own 100% dedication and all the hours that are required to develop it.
-Share of future earning, these will depend on how much work you will do but 40% me/ 60% you is my fair offer.
-I can pay you amount of money in advance, but his has to be within reason and can be discussed in a personal environment.
-A unique story and opportunity to further your skills.

I read through a couple other requests the last hours and used your tips to make my advertisement as clear as possible, if you have any questions or are interested in discussion this further.
Please send me a PM.

JD

Last edited:

RogueKnightUK

Co-Writer: Retrieving The Past
Game Developer
Jul 10, 2018
In all of the following, please take into account that I am a fellow writer, one with over 20 years of experience commercially writing articles, scripts, blog posts, training manuals, etc.

Here's the first point where you need to bear the aforementioned in mind:

You are massively overestimating the value of your writing in this context.

Let me explain that in real terms. Dig through this forum and see how many previous similar requests for partners have been made. Do you see a single one where a good artist is looking for a writer?

By the law of supply and demand, writers are commonplace and thus in supply far greater than demand, forcing down their value. Meanwhile artists are rarer than hen's teeth, and thus in very, very high demand, far outstripping the supply.

Writing alone is worth about 10% of the profit share at best.

I kid you not a bit. Of course, you can be worth more if you are a truly exceptional writer and can demonstrate that by showing them your previous hit games, or best selling novels, etc. Basically, something to make working with you more of a sure thing and less of taking a chance on yet another of the thousands of people who say they can write.

You can, of course, boost your proportional value by being more than just the writer - more than just that one job.

Are you also coding the game, where that code is a significant job (i.e. the game has some serious mechanics not just built into the engine)? That's another job title and worthy of its own share of the profits, although again, because just lifting code from elsewhere is pretty easy, coders are not as rare as artists unless you are like building your own engine or such.

Are you the producer, which means are you investing all the cash in terms of game expenses, including the assets that may be needed? That part certainly gets a more serious share, especially for something like a sci-fi story where I imagine you'll be quite demanding for unusual and costly assets.

Finally, are you being realistic overall? What I mean here is that an artist with any level of skill can post a few sample renders into any discord server and have a dozen guys volunteer to be writers for his/her game. Offering a profit share of a product that doesn't exist, doesn't have any profits to share, and can only exist if they help you make it is not a huge incentive. That's why most artists who freelance would rather take a proper wage, but may take a lower wage than normal for a significant share of the profits.

Anything you can do to show why they should take a gamble on you rather than the 100 other offers they get will help you convince them to risk a huge opportunity cost if it doesn't work out.

DreamBig Games

Donor
Game Developer
May 27, 2017
What I would also add to what RogueKnightUK has said, is also take into account that for an "Artist" that is using Daz for his art, his equipment is expensive ( my machine went upwards of 4000$, and I plan to add to that another 1000$. Also, rendering is very much power consuming, so his/ her energy bill will go up a lot ( in my case, it's around 500W/3 renders, see how much that is costing you in your area).

To be fair, I think that unless you pay for the assets needed for the renders, the percentage that you have proposed is unrealistic. And if you plan to "borrow" the assets, then I would still think the percentage would be unfair, in that case, I would ask for a 50/50 split after my expenses with rendering power consumption.
Also, a game with the main theme being incest, you will have a hard time monetizing it ( Patreon, Steam, Nutaku, and I think even Itch have something along: no incest lines).

Reactions: RogueKnightUK

J..D

Naughty Attic Gaming
Donor
Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019
In all of the following, please take into account that I am a fellow writer, one with over 20 years of experience commercially writing articles, scripts, blog posts, training manuals, etc.

Here's the first point where you need to bear the aforementioned in mind:

You are massively overestimating the value of your writing in this context.

Let me explain that in real terms. Dig through this forum and see how many previous similar requests for partners have been made. Do you see a single one where a good artist is looking for a writer?

By the law of supply and demand, writers are commonplace and thus in supply far greater than demand, forcing down their value. Meanwhile artists are rarer than hen's teeth, and thus in very, very high demand, far outstripping the supply.

Writing alone is worth about 10% of the profit share at best.

I kid you not a bit. Of course, you can be worth more if you are a truly exceptional writer and can demonstrate that by showing them your previous hit games, or best selling novels, etc. Basically, something to make working with you more of a sure thing and less of taking a chance on yet another of the thousands of people who say they can write.

You can, of course, boost your proportional value by being more than just the writer - more than just that one job.

Are you also coding the game, where that code is a significant job (i.e. the game has some serious mechanics not just built into the engine)? That's another job title and worthy of its own share of the profits, although again, because just lifting code from elsewhere is pretty easy, coders are not as rare as artists unless you are like building your own engine or such.

Are you the producer, which means are you investing all the cash in terms of game expenses, including the assets that may be needed? That part certainly gets a more serious share, especially for something like a sci-fi story where I imagine you'll be quite demanding for unusual and costly assets.

Finally, are you being realistic overall? What I mean here is that an artist with any level of skill can post a few sample renders into any discord server and have a dozen guys volunteer to be writers for his/her game. Offering a profit share of a product that doesn't exist, doesn't have any profits to share, and can only exist if they help you make it is not a huge incentive. That's why most artists who freelance would rather take a proper wage, but may take a lower wage than normal for a significant share of the profits.

Anything you can do to show why they should take a gamble on you rather than the 100 other offers they get will help you convince them to risk a huge opportunity cost if it doesn't work out.
Almost everything you are saying is based of nothing.
Saying that writing is only worth 10% of the income is ludicrous when you don't know all the fact and details, does a graphical artist deserve more than a writes...Sure, but if you are actually a writer like you say you are then you know that in a good story goes a lot of time.
Sure anybody can write a story, but not everybody can write a coherent story..A experience.

And i think that i am offering more then just a future share, specifically said that i am willing to pay in advance(do you know what amount i have in my head ? No....So don't try to make assumptions if you don't know all the details.

Same for assets,
I have bought hundreds of assets in the past 2/3 years, bought at least a 50+ the last couple days for this project.
I don't have to explain that those costs are pretty high also do i ?, so do i think 60% future share + advance payment is a more then reasonable offer.

What I would also add to what RogueKnightUK has said, is also take into account that for an "Artist" that is using Daz for his art, his equipment is expensive ( my machine went upwards of 4000$, and I plan to add to that another 1000$. Also, rendering is very much power consuming, so his/ her energy bill will go up a lot ( in my case, it's around 500W/3 renders, see how much that is costing you in your area).

To be fair, I think that unless you pay for the assets needed for the renders, the percentage that you have proposed is unrealistic. And if you plan to "borrow" the assets, then I would still think the percentage would be unfair, in that case, I would ask for a 50/50 split after my expenses with rendering power consumption.
Also, a game with the main theme being incest, you will have a hard time monetizing it ( Patreon, Steam, Nutaku, and I think even Itch have something along: no incest lines).
I understand that, but you bought a computer as a future investment.. But a new project is the same in my opinion, a future investment.

And like i said above, almost all the assets that are needed for this project have already been bought..(think that is even more then you $4000)
So with a advance payment and 60%, well that more then reasonable in my opinion.
But like stated, everything is open for discussion.

But i knew when i posted this advertisement that i would be a long shot, yeah there are 100 "writers" for ever 1 DaZ artist..
But if you don't ask, if you do nothing....Well, nothing will happen for sure. I rather take the 1% long shot.

DreamBig Games

Donor
Game Developer
May 27, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying not to ask, what I was saying was that, based on the info I had, the proposed percentage of 60 writer/ 40 artist was not very fair. Now, with the new info regarding advance payment, and the fact that you own most of the needed assets, then, this sounds a bit more reasonable.

If you have some experience with Daz, and can't find an artist, I can help you improve a bit on your skills, you can create the scenes ( poses, lights, etc ) and I could do the final touches and renders. This might reduce a bit your money investment, while it will increase your workload, but at the same time, might work better. From my personal experience, it's easier to create a good scene when you have all the plot/ script in your head, as that way you know her/ his emotions and can find/create the same emotions in Daz.
Unfortunately, I can't take on the full artist job ( already got 2 projects working on, 1 a VN, the other a brothel simulator, but as I'm coding most of the time, my GPU's are not always needed, so I could put them to some use.

RogueKnightUK

Co-Writer: Retrieving The Past
Game Developer
Jul 10, 2018
Almost everything you are saying is based of nothing.
Nothing but over 2 decades actually making a living at writing, training copywriters, building commercial writing teams, etc... yeah, you are absolutely right. What possible things could you learn from my experiences? I won't waste my valuable time offering any further advice.

Good luck. You'll need it.

Reactions: Zivairs

J..D

Naughty Attic Gaming
Donor
Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying not to ask, what I was saying was that, based on the info I had, the proposed percentage of 60 writer/ 40 artist was not very fair. Now, with the new info regarding advance payment, and the fact that you own most of the needed assets, then, this sounds a bit more reasonable.

If you have some experience with Daz, and can't find an artist, I can help you improve a bit on your skills, you can create the scenes ( poses, lights, etc ) and I could do the final touches and renders. This might reduce a bit your money investment, while it will increase your workload, but at the same time, might work better. From my personal experience, it's easier to create a good scene when you have all the plot/ script in your head, as that way you know her/ his emotions and can find/create the same emotions in Daz.
Unfortunately, I can't take on the full artist job ( already got 2 projects working on, 1 a VN, the other a brothel simulator, but as I'm coding most of the time, my GPU's are not always needed, so I could put them to some use.
Thank you, i will keep your offer in mind.
Going to think about the best course of action in the next couple days, but if i decide to do everything myself i know i could use someone that could dot the i.
And will send you a PM in that case.

J..D

Naughty Attic Gaming
Donor
Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019
Nothing but over 2 decades actually making a living at writing, training copywriters, building commercial writing teams, etc... yeah, you are absolutely right. What possible things could you learn from my experiences? I won't waste my valuable time offering any further advice.

Good luck. You'll need it.
You know you didn't gave any advice right?
The only thing you did was making assumptions while not having all the information you need to make those assumptions

From a writer with 2 decades of experience, well guess you wrote fantasy in that case..

But good luck to you as well and i thank you for your helpfull posts.

Reactions: Walg