SDL2.dll error

YesMan

Jun 17, 2017
Hi, Ive been trying to play diffrent games however I continue to get the same error message whenever I try to load them up. I'm on Windows 7 and have installed all the latest updates

TCMS

Quote my posts if you want an answer
Donor
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
Hi, Ive been trying to play diffrent games however I continue to get the same error message whenever I try to load them up. I'm on Windows 7 and have installed all the latest updates
What games.

YesMan

Jun 17, 2017
It tells me to try reinstalling the program, do you have any idea how I can do that?

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
For some reason, your system doesn't have the Simple DirectMedia Layer dynamic link library. It's part of Visual studio so I'd check and see if they need repaired.

Reactions: YesMan

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
This is direct link to the "creator"
Download the top (most recent library) and unzip. In the "Lib" folder, take both the 64 and 32 bit versions and put them in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

Reactions: Drussler

YesMan

Jun 17, 2017
This is direct link to the "creator"
Download the top (most recent library) and unzip. In the "Lib" folder, take both the 64 and 32 bit versions and put them in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
It appears to be working now, thanks for your help mutt. You too TCMS.

TheMann421

May 13, 2017
I too am running into this error, unfortunately the solution posted here did not help.

Edit:

Upon further investigation, the issue does not have to do with anything in the System32 folder.

In the gamename/lib/windows-i686 there should be a SDL2.dll file. If it is missing, then open up another Renpy game's lib/windows-i686/ folder and copy these files into the broken game's lib/windows-i686/ folder.

SDL2.dll
libcc_s_sjlj-1.dll
libwinpthread-1.dll

Doing this got my game to start.

FookU2

Engaged Member
Jan 23, 2018
I too am running into this error, unfortunately the solution posted here did not help.

Edit:

Upon further investigation, the issue does not have to do with anything in the System32 folder.

In the gamename/lib/windows-i686 there should be a SDL2.dll file. If it is missing, then open up another Renpy game's lib/windows-i686/ folder and copy these files into the broken game's lib/windows-i686/ folder.

SDL2.dll
libcc_s_sjlj-1.dll
libwinpthread-1.dll

Doing this got my game to start.
Didn't work for me. I copied the files from another renpy game, then went to the broken game to paste the files, and noticed all the files were in the folder. I thought maybe they were corrupted or broken, so I chose to replace the files with other files from the other game. It still says the SDL2.dll file is missing, even though I can see it in the folder.