Searching for an alternative for Patreon

Danaelfer

Jun 15, 2017
I currently developing a game and there is many games affected with new patreon rules, and don’t want be repressed on what I like to do, and tell on my games.

I want to get more options and the best of them, and if that’s not possible, I want to know a way to avoid to be hurt by Patreon rules.

Sorry my English, and thanks in advance for the answers .

Reactions: W22N

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
As of now there isn't one for adult games.

Paypal is the big issue, they are the ones that were the nail in the coffin for most of the decisions by Patreon and they are also the only way a lot of people process their money online.

As it stands unless you can get direct donations by making your own website there is no alternative for adult games creators.

Options are either fit in with Patreons rules or put in the time and effort of making your own website.

Danaelfer

Jun 15, 2017
Good to know i already have my own domain and website. Still need some work.
and what will be the best option for donations there, since paypal will prob block the transactions?

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
Good to know i already have my own domain and website. Still need some work.
and what will be the best option for donations there, since paypal will prob block the transactions?
If you set it up as as a donation to the website you'd probably be fine. They aren't likely to look much closer than that. Of course, nothing is safe with paypal.

These guy's look promising. They haven't launched yet, but if you aren't launching immediately, you could wait and see till they do. Their fee schedule is closer to Patreon's than any other adult provider who's tried to launch thus far, and it gets even closer if the site takes off and they start making more and more money.

That said, if your game doesn't currently include rape, incest, bestiality, or characters that appear to be underage, you should be fine on patreon

Reactions: Danaelfer

Delmach

Oct 3, 2017
There are other platforms that come relatively close to it, except mostly the payment each month/update part. Which seems to be too important for most people to not have. Could be countered with for example, buying the game twice or multiple times, as often as you think the developer currently deserves. They also dont hide your game from the platform/search engine, as they are for adult content, or at least mention it as being allowed.

But having all the upsides of the current main site, and none of the downsides? No sadly not, personally im really hoping Sponsorion does launch and does deliver what it said it wants to do. And also that people actually give it a chance, even when theres some sort of inconvenience first.

That said, if your game doesn't currently include rape, incest, bestiality, or characters that appear to be underage, you should be fine on patreon
You forgot the ever present, very popular necrophilia.

Yeah no, never seen that one. I dont count zombies as that, because they arent really dead. Lets hope they also see it like that, or another bunch of games could go down the drain.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
There are other platforms that come relatively close to it, except mostly the payment each month/update part. Which seems to be too important for most people to not have. Could be countered with for example, buying the game twice or multiple times, as often as you think the developer currently deserves. They also dont hide your game from the platform/search engine, as they are for adult content, or at least mention it as being allowed.

But having all the upsides of the current main site, and none of the downsides? No sadly not, personally im really hoping Sponsorion does launch and does deliver what it said it wants to do. And also that people actually give it a chance, even when theres some sort of inconvenience first.

You forgot the ever present, very popular necrophilia.

Yeah no, never seen that one. I dont count zombies as that, because they arent really dead. Lets hope they also see it like that, or another bunch of games could go down the drain.
The only way to subvert the monthly model that would be realistic is to go the prefunded model, and setting a goal for the cost of the game and living expenses for the time it would take to develop.

Then release it for free to donors and put it up for sale on your personal website or something, while starting another funding campaign for the next game, unless you have enough capital to go again without it.

Delmach

Oct 3, 2017
The only way to subvert the monthly model that would be realistic is to go the prefunded model, and setting a goal for the cost of the game and living expenses for the time it would take to develop.
The whole outrage and rebellion about having fiction more restricted than real life is outright stopped by people being lazy. Theres some hope, for example people using ko-fi.com to support Mr.Dots and DmD so he is free from the shackles (and making over 11k last I heard), but I have seen enough people that say they cant live without a monthly subscription system. And the only crowdfound adult website I know would be Kimochi Red Light, which at least apparently doesnt take a cut.

The developer from Lewdest Labyrinth (mminit) doesnt have a Patreon and only used Itch.io, now im wondering how that went for them. Itch.io also seems to have Paypal as an Option.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
The whole outrage and rebellion about having fiction more restricted than real life is outright stopped by people being lazy. Theres some hope, for example people using ko-fi.com to support Mr.Dots and DmD so he is free from the shackles (and making over 11k last I heard), but I have seen enough people that say they cant live without a monthly subscription system. And the only crowdfound adult website I know would be Kimochi Red Light, which at least apparently doesnt take a cut.

The developer from Lewdest Labyrinth (mminit) doesnt have a Patreon and only used Itch.io, now im wondering how that went for them. Itch.io also seems to have Paypal as an Option.
I know the guy doing making movies is using Itch.io as well, but I don't know if he's making money or anything. It's more a hobby for him anyways, he actually works in the japanese adult gaming industry from what I've heard.

But yeah, the monthly funding is required unless you have big name recognition already, because you're not doing this just for fun, you're doing it to make a living. I'm sure you don't do well if you don't make a somewhat guaranteed monthly income.

Danaelfer

Jun 15, 2017
My game don't have rape, bestiality, necrophilia. even if is a soft horror theme game. And about incest there a couple of sisters, but there is not the main theme of the game, its more a 2 sisters and childhood friend guy fantasy.
And i don't want to change to friends just for Patreon.
I think i will keep developing the game and hoping for to launch, seems promising.
Thanks for the info, it is really useful.

GuyFreely

May 2, 2018
Yeah, I think with the changes happening at Patreon, we'll see someone willing to pick up the slack. It sounds like a couple places are already trying, so that's encouraging. It would be nice to have a place specifically for adult content that isn't as restricted. I'm pretty sure there are laws in some countries against even digital portrayals of certain items, like **********, but beyond that it should be good. Someone will be willing to facilitate family fucking simulators for a cut of the money.

[It would also be nice to have a platform like Steam for adult games. Since Steam seems to getting ready for a purge after years of being wishy washy on nudity and sex in games.]