VN Ren'Py Settings not saved

WhY NoT?!

Sep 2, 2019
I have a problem with the settings on all the games, every time I enter a game it defaults and doesn't retain the settings that I set before exiting the game.
Is anyone who had this problem before and knows how to fix it? To be able to make the games remember the settings I set.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
The ini file where the settings reside, or the whole folder, are set to read-only.

Reactions: WhY NoT?!

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
The ini file where the settings reside, or the whole folder, are set to read-only.
What shouldn't happen since it point to Ren'Py, and therefore the persistent file is saved in two different places, one being dedicated to that (%APPDATA% for Windows) and not suffering from a rights issue.

Not that you are wrong, the cause is effectively that the said persistent file isn't created, but in normal use it shouldn't happen. Therefore OP don't use the game "normally".
Could it be one of those "I double click from the WinRAR interface" case ?

Reactions: WhY NoT?!

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
What shouldn't happen since it point to Ren'Py, and therefore the persistent file is saved in two different places, one being dedicated to that (%APPDATA% for Windows) and not suffering from a rights issue.

Not that you are wrong, the cause is effectively that the said persistent file isn't created, but in normal use it shouldn't happen. Therefore OP don't use the game "normally".
He didn't mention Ren'Py, in fact he didn't mention any game at all, so kind of hard to assume what the issue might be... Rather, I recalled Skyrim and how I can set the settings to read-only if I custom edited them and do not want them to be overwritten by accident.

If it is a game stored in program files (one of those custom engines) or even an Unity game, that could be the issue.

WhY NoT?!

Sep 2, 2019

I know about the %APPDATA% location and every game I've played is there with all the saves. It's about the settings, volume, and self-voicing enabled. It's as if I played the game for the first time... but I have all the saves I made before.
And every game I played, always I extracted it first and then played it. I don't even know if it works directly from WinRAR without extracting it.

I don't if it has anything to do with it but a few months back I tried to fix an issue about using saves created on another device so I have modified the "security-keys.txt file" from %APPDATA% Ren'PY/Tokens.
I've followed the steps from here.

Can this be the cause? if so, can someone help me with their "security-keys.txt file" please? Just upload it here and I will replace the one that I have now.

Reactions: hieuluc5

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
It's about the settings, volume, and self-voicing enabled. It's as if I played the game for the first time... but I have all the saves I made before.
That, as I said, are store in a file named "persistent", in the same place than the saves files. If you have the save files, I don't see a single rational reason for the "persistent" file to not be there to, and to not store the needed information.

I don't if it has anything to do with it but a few months back I tried to fix an issue about using saves created on another device so I have modified the "security-keys.txt file" from %APPDATA% Ren'PY/Tokens.
I've followed the steps from here.
Okay, now I see a possible explanation. It's not that Ren'Py don't create the persistent file, it's that it silently refuse to load...

if so, can someone help me with their "security-keys.txt file" please?
There's no way to help you with this.
Firstly, the tokens are unique for each computer ; what would be the interest if it wasn't the case ?
Secondly, the save files are unprotected, while the Persistent files are, and this will stay even with a fresh and correct "security-keys.txt" file.

Even restoring the file to its previous state more that surely wouldn't solve the issue you created without side effect. You need to delete all the persistent files (including the one directly in the "game/saves" directory), what will a small impact on the game, but not a breaking one for 99,99% of them, and hope that it will be enough.

WhY NoT?!

Sep 2, 2019
That, as I said, are store in a file named "persistent", in the same place than the saves files. If you have the save files, I don't see a single rational reason for the "persistent" file to not be there to, and to not store the needed information.

Okay, now I see a possible explanation. It's not that Ren'Py don't create the persistent file, it's that it silently refuse to load...

There's no way to help you with this.
Firstly, the tokens are unique for each computer ; what would be the interest if it wasn't the case ?
Secondly, the save files are unprotected, while the Persistent files are, and this will stay even with a fresh and correct "security-keys.txt" file.

Even restoring the file to its previous state more that surely wouldn't solve the issue you created without side effect. You need to delete all the persistent files (including the one directly in the "game/saves" directory), what will a small impact on the game, but not a breaking one for 99,99% of them, and hope that it will be enough.
I understand. Well in that case is not worth all this, I thought I find a simple solution. Thanks anyway.