Ren'Py Sexbot Restoration 2124 [v0.9.0] [squirrel24]

4.40 star(s) 8 Votes

AkiranGaming

Jan 4, 2024
I'm enjoying this a lot (it hits that spot that city management games did in my youth), but am having one major issue: it is crazy slow. I don't know if it's my laptop but the game's not visually demanding, so I'm unsure if it's just the game. Anyone else have performance issues? It's like 2-3 seconds after clicking a button / pressing the hotkey for the next screen. Makes the game's grindy-ness much more pronounced.
Now that you mentioned it, I've noticed longer delays lately too. Are you using mods or have extremely large number of parts and bots in inventory?

alex666p

Jun 29, 2017
I dont know why but deley is from setting. Open Settings and got delay on "instant" - afterward game will open screens instantly.

Rokku

Jan 1, 2019
Loving the game so far, just a doubt, how long is the mob protection quest? Does it end?
And please up the chances of getting a powercore at the dump site, I ended buying bots to scrape just to get the powercores

AkiranGaming

Jan 4, 2024
Loving the game so far, just a doubt, how long is the mob protection quest? Does it end?
And please up the chances of getting a powercore at the dump site, I ended buying bots to scrape just to get the powercores
The mob protection quest is at least a few weeks, you will eventually get the option to build a special bot, so keep an eye out for it, but if you can't make it right away it will cycle through a couple bots and let you try again until you do.

WillyB

Nov 16, 2018
Now that you mentioned it, I've noticed longer delays lately too. Are you using mods or have extremely large number of parts and bots in inventory?
Base game, no mods. Just checked and only 5 pages of inventory items (have repaired and sold most), but 5 active bots and 4 in storage.

I dont know why but deley is from setting. Open Settings and got delay on "instant" - afterward game will open screens instantly.
I changed it to instant and went to the Workshop > Tinker, and even there, not clicking between different buttons or tabs, just hitting '1' to repeat Repair, it's 2-3 seconds each time.

Dunno but appreciate these tips.

squirrel24

Game Developer
Mar 12, 2021
Is that a new feature and delayed by default?
I'm sorry to say that the 'Instant' setting is probably not the issue. I do not know why performance degrades while playing. It is worse on Android than Windows. If I knew why it happens or how to fix it I would. If any programming wizards can help with that I'd appreciate it. Leaving the game using the 'Menu' button and then the 'Return' button sometimes restores performance. Pausing (don't touch the keyboard or mouse) for 10-15 seconds often restores performance too. I hate it too but can't do anything about it. :( It is not mods causing it, the vanilla game does it. Sorry.

AkiranGaming

Jan 4, 2024
I'm sorry to say that the 'Instant' setting is probably not the issue. I do not know why performance degrades while playing. It is worse on Android than Windows. If I knew why it happens or how to fix it I would. If any programming wizards can help with that I'd appreciate it. Leaving the game using the 'Menu' button and then the 'Return' button sometimes restores performance. Pausing (don't touch the keyboard or mouse) for 10-15 seconds often restores performance too. I hate it too but can't do anything about it. :( It is not mods causing it, the vanilla game does it. Sorry.
I'm currently playing the latest version without mods, so figured that was the case, but asking about mods is a good habit when troubleshooting issues.

I checked my settings page and don't actually see an 'Instant' option, is it hiding behind something, lol.

squirrel24

Game Developer
Mar 12, 2021
I'm currently playing the latest version without mods, so figured that was the case, but asking about mods is a good habit when troubleshooting issues.

I checked my settings page and don't actually see an 'Instant' option, is it hiding behind something, lol.
It's not exactly a setting. It's what it says when you slide the 'Transition Speed' setting all the way to the right. Won't fix it though. It gets a little worse with each release. Something about the code structure but I don't know what it is.

dmmt

May 8, 2020
you did some wonderful work with Def Sexbot and essentially curating that thread. I'm looking forward to this!

Reactions: squirrel24
Jun 29, 2017
How the fuck this game can have tags character creation. You can't change any size (height, dick, breast, ass,...) of MC and bots. For me, you are simple use your girl packs, this not the character creation.

squirrel24

Game Developer
Mar 12, 2021
First of all thank you very much for working on this awesome game. You are awesome.
Speaking of pictures. I'm not that far into the game yet, however, the picture of Techie v2 is a tad odd.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
It's more focused on the male in the picture. The female in the picture is lying down on the table blending in with the orange/salmon pink colored bricks in the background. Unless the bald dude whos face we can't see with no breasts barely having a butt dressed in masculine clothes like a in the picture is meant to be the female? You don't have to give every bot giant tits should that be the case. You can even have a bald bot chick with small breasts and a tiny buttocks, but at least let us see the face. So we can better see it's a female. Sure maybe the bot likes to dress a little m/f. Give her something "cute" showing her femine side.

Examples of steampunk'ish women:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
This picture has been in the game for a long time and I've never heard anyone else make this complaint. You're welcome to your opinion but I don't share it. The bot images are in the 'mods' folder and with a little work you can replace the offending picture if it's that important to you. If you can't or won't do that and the artwork offends you that much there are plenty of other games you can play.

UPDATE: Ok, I re-read my reply and it could be considered harsh. I do that sometimes because I forget this is text and you can't relay a friendly conversational tone with text. Whenever I suggest playing another game I mean it in a friendly way, sort of like your friend telling you that life's too short to dwell on things that bother you. Anyway, I looked at the avatar in question and thought I could make a better version in a few minutes. I'm not changing the bot but it will make the other bot on the gurney less visible so you know which bot to look at. I changed the angle a little so her curves stand out a little more but she's supposed to be a geeky, serious type.

Last edited:

gr3yw0lf72

Jun 30, 2024
After playing for a long time now (day 1266) there are a few things that got me wondering...

1. Leaving your home does take 1AP but returning home doesn't. I mean I get it that after scavenging or visiting Robo/6 and you got no AP left it would be difficult to realize. Just an observation.

2. I figured that if I need parts to be repaired I just take a bot I found in the dump and let my master techies do the job.
When disassembling the bot I got "refurbished" parts and can sell or reuse them if needed.

3. Let's say you have a few bot in storage, well trained and with decent parts. How about an "alarm" or a notification pop up when a demand in the BBS comes up? So you don't have to check every time yourself.
I don't know how much work that is because I'm no programmer myself.

4. If I have a bot in storage and want to tinker on it the interaction takes up 1AP. When moving the bot from storage to a capsule and interact with it it doesn't need any AP. I'm not complaining about the fact but normally it should take up time to move around the bots in my opinion.

I'm not trying to make the game more difficult or critisize the game just sharing my thoughts.

Hajtand

Nov 5, 2017
After playing for a long time now (day 1266) there are a few things that got me wondering...

1. Leaving your home does take 1AP but returning home doesn't. I mean I get it that after scavenging or visiting Robo/6 and you got no AP left it would be difficult to realize. Just an observation.

2. I figured that if I need parts to be repaired I just take a bot I found in the dump and let my master techies do the job.
When disassembling the bot I got "refurbished" parts and can sell or reuse them if needed.

3. Let's say you have a few bot in storage, well trained and with decent parts. How about an "alarm" or a notification pop up when a demand in the BBS comes up? So you don't have to check every time yourself.

4. If I have a bot in storage and want to tinker on it the interaction takes up 1AP. When moving the bot from storage to a capsule and interact with it it doesn't need any AP. I'm not complaining about the fact but normally it should take up time to move around the bots in my opinion.

I'm not trying to make the game more difficult or critisize the game just sharing my thoughts.
I wondered about the 4th part too. But it'd almost effectively give you a free pod, if it wasn't the case. You are still sort of using the empty space moving them around. It's probably more a of a game mechanic reason than world building reason.

Regarding point nr 1. Maybe the trip only takes ½ an AP, but it's calculated as such. To make sure you have enough, to return home.

squirrel24

Game Developer
Mar 12, 2021

Thanks, you make some good points. A few thoughts....

1. It would be really hard to force a player to save an AP to go home! If you want to rationalize it the cost is 1/2 an AP each way (Hajtand types faster than I do!). You may not like the next version because there will be a $20 payment to buy round-trip subway tickets to go downtown in addition to the AP cost. The AP is the time wasted riding the train. I believe the idea in DSCS was that you walked to District TX-13 and it took time but didn't cost anything. In the next version of SR24 there will be a new "away from home" location called your "Neighborhood" and 'District TX-13' will be a subway ride downtown. (Of course many people may wonder how the diverse set of locations, including a dump, are all 'downtown'. I'll leave that illogical thing to be fixed another day!)

2. Creative, I like it! :) A high school dropout finding ways to make things work is what this story is about. I'm tempted to abandon the bot role to repair parts I promised to create but I think some people would skin me alive if I did!

3. Interesting idea, I also get a little frustrated checking the bulletin board every day. Someone else suggested simplifying access to the offers on the netconsole, 3 clicks to get there is pretty silly. This will make checking less painful but notifications would be better. No guarantees, I'm also not a coding expert and sometimes I have to give up if I can't figure out how to do things! :oops:

4. You're right about this but unless I re-scale the AP in the game fixing it would be problematic. Here's a silly rationalization: When a bot is in storage it needs to spend a little time in a capsule before it can be worked on, sort of like warming up my espresso maker in the morning! If you want to work directly on a bot in storage you have to sit around and wait for 1 AP of time before you can work on it. As you pointed out, moving bots around is "free" so you don't have to pay the AP if you're willing to spend a few clicks; swap bots, work on it, swap back. The 1 AP penalty is for lazy players who don't want to click that much and think they have AP to waste!

gr3yw0lf72

Jun 30, 2024
I can live with the explanations that it is 1AP per "leave and return".
And the idea with the ride downtown sounds good. Can't wait for the next release.

Well... in the end it is your game and you can do as you see fit. And if the parts techie repair bot doesn't make it in the game I can probably live with that altough it would be pretty convenient to have some bots doing that job. ;)

I like the idea with the warm-up phase to start tinkering on a bot when moving it from the storage to a capsule. Maybe one cycle would be okay (not a whole day)?

gr3yw0lf72

Jun 30, 2024
Regarding point nr 1. Maybe the trip only takes ½ an AP, but it's calculated as such. To make sure you have enough, to return home.
True that but it could be possible to reserve 1AP for getting home again if the game mechanics allow it. ;)

squirrel24

Game Developer
Mar 12, 2021
I can live with the explanations that it is 1AP per "leave and return".
And the idea with the ride downtown sounds good. Can't wait for the next release.

Well... in the end it is your game and you can do as you see fit. And if the parts techie repair bot doesn't make it in the game I can probably live with that altough it would be pretty convenient to have some bots doing that job. ;)

I like the idea with the warm-up phase to start tinkering on a bot when moving it from the storage to a capsule. Maybe one cycle would be okay (not a whole day)?
I've got about 75% of the code done for the next release. There won't be that many images needed for what's in it, only a few days worth. I have two long weekend vacations coming up though so finishing it up plus including some testing/debugging time puts it's about 3-4 weeks away. Can't guarantee though, life happens sometimes!

Updated: The next version will include a 'repair parts' bot role which will be called "Senior Techie (parts)". The existing "Master Techie" role will become "Master Techie (bots)".

To be fair compared to "paying 1 AP to work on a bot in storage" the warm up phase would only be "the next AP you spend cannot be working on the bot you just moved". This would only make a small difference in the game and might be a little tricky to code so I don't think I'll go there.

Last edited:

dollydollzy

Jul 25, 2024
You pointed out another setting I adjust but forgot about, frames opacity. This one is very important and affects your ability to read the text.
With all the controversy about music rights I'm not doing anything about sound any time soon. The best I can do is provide file names for music to be played in each location. If you renamed audio files to match they would play. Not sure that would make anyone happy.
Wha-Wha-What? How? Rename what to what?
If it is something you are planning to do I suggest one music file as BM.
I love this game but it just plays weird without sound, not even button clicks make a sound.
Maybe the engine has default sounds for non-music audio.

4.40 star(s) 8 Votes