Daz Shadow

eri

Game Developer
Dec 3, 2017
Hello. Can someone help me how to do better with these shadows ? I am using just a hdr outdoor enviroment and basic lights that are up and they came up with the room (roof).

eri

Game Developer
Dec 3, 2017
Okay .. ghost lights are the answer but still ... I like to hear what is problem here.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Okay .. ghost lights are the answer but still ... I like to hear what is problem here.
Those titties are probably not only causing a solar eclipse, the gravitational pull they are causing is more than likely creating a vacuum in time and space. :D

But giant titties aside.

Basic lights that are up and they came up with the room (roof).

Okay .. ghost lights are the answer

Don't is the answer to the first one and not really is the answer to the second one.

The lights that come with assists are designed to make the promo render look good, they are useless for rendering a character, hence why you never see a promo scene with a character in it.

Get this -
https://f95zone.to/threads/iray-light-manager-pro.9146/

Where you see the white bar called lights color, just change it to black and will kill every light in the scene. Issue is, DAZ characters need a light source directly on them, not near them or around them, directly on them, their skins are designed to react to the light.

Google DAZ three point lighting and/or DAZ emissive planes (I prefer the latter), I can't point you a tut because i worked out emissive planes before I saw any tut, so I don't know which is good or not. Weather you use a spotlight or a plane the trick is, do not put the light directly on there face, angle it across and down, that's how you get the shadows.

Ghost lights are only used to light up areas behind the characters to make the scene brighter, not to make the character look any different (it can, but don't rely on it).

• Red Heart
Reactions: eri

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Actually, I don't think that there's inherently much wrong with those shadows. Your light is coming from above (mostly), so you'd actually expect there to be some shadowing under the chin and eyebrows. If you bleach all of that away with ghost lights, you'll get something that looks very flat. (If I can use the word "flat" in the context of that picture... LOL)

Shadows are what tell our eyes and brains that the 2D image is of a 3D subject. If you're going for any kind of realism, you don't want to get rid of all of them.

• Red Heart
Reactions: eri