Share your experience with daz studio octane renderer plugin

nakedDirector

Feb 14, 2017
What has your experience with the octane renderer plugin been?
I have tried it out today. Seems blazing fast. The render below took 4 Minutes, it had 4 volume lamps. However, I coudn't get golden palace working with it. After applying the material copy script of golden palace, the material is not loaded correctly into octane. I expect a lot more to not work out of the box and creators would have to sell octane shaders in addition to iRay ones. Since this is not going to happen I'll probably go back to iRay. There is still a lot of performance I can get out by optimizing my scene setup.

In my opinion daz studio is already complicated enough. It just gets more complicated using a plugin renderer instead of built the built in one.

lapcoat lingerie.png

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
What has your experience with the octane renderer plugin been?
I have tried it out today. Seems blazing fast. The render below took 4 Minutes, it had 4 volume lamps. However, I coudn't get golden palace working with it. After applying the material copy script of golden palace, the material is not loaded correctly into octane. I expect a lot more to not work out of the box and creators would have to sell octane shaders in addition to iRay ones. Since this is not going to happen I'll probably go back to iRay. There is still a lot of performance I can get out by optimizing my scene setup.

In my opinion daz studio is already complicated enough. It just gets more complicated using a plugin renderer instead of built the built in one.
It took 4 minutes because there is almost no material layers to render. Not saying you can't crank rendering time but I'm not sure it's a good example. Imo if you want to use Octane seriously, use the stand-alone version, plug-in is crippled with several bugs and missing functions (Maybe it's fixed now? It's been a while). Most people used RedSpec shaders (it's abandoned now) for their skin that gave at least average result (depending on how the skin is done) but it still need a lot of tweaking to get anywhere near their Iray version (like creating several more maps/layers). Not saying Octane is bad (it's excellent) but material convertion always gonna be tricky, even more on thing such as human skin.

Reactions: lancelotdulak

lancelotdulak

Nov 7, 2018
I signed up for octane again after abandoning it because of the material problem. I love the speed and am willing to accept the limitations of the way octane renders (a different method than iray). But octane renders always look faded to me.. with iray you can get photorealistic humans with enough render time , good lighting etc. I havent come close in octane. Ive been hoping a materials geek in the forum gets obsessed with this . Theoretically octanes material database is supposed to be overloaded with good useable materials but from what ive seen it's basically full of what some dude did one weekend... really hoping this improves because render times on some of my stuff is getting nuts and i dont think even 2x2080ti would make That much of a difference. 1.5 hours per render instead of 3 for $2400+ ... eww

rodneyeatme

Jul 19, 2017
Octane's Blender plugin is fully functional and, near as I can tell, worth more than the $0.

Octane's Daz plugin is a crippled, worthless piece of shit.

Otoy's website and licencing is a frustrating Web 1.0 nightmare.

Seanthiar

Jun 18, 2020
Ok a little late - since it's 2021 - but my experience with the render is divided but mostly negative. I'm still learning to work with DAZ but the most annoying with Octane is that in my case it changed positions and poses. Some times a kneeling char stands in an octane render or is in zero Position. Same for some props or assets, were a chair or table is on its default place of the scene and not on the place you put it. With 3dl and iray worked everything well I did following the tutorials. That was the biggest thing for me beside that the light and size of the render did not fit my preview and Octane changed my render settings in DAZ.
But I loved the speed of the render.