Daz Shoe's off

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Hey, how can i make shoes flying off the feet?

I tried unparenting but that did not get me what i wanted. What i like is to have the shoes fly off in a scene and have the pair to be independent of each other.

Thank you

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
I dont think thats possible with just DAZ. You most likely need to bring the shoes into a modelling program and separate them into two separate objects.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I dont think thats possible with just DAZ. You most likely need to bring the shoes into a modelling program and separate them into two separate objects.
Bummer. I had planned a scene where someone flips over (falls) and in the process the shoes fall off.
So would i need to do that in Blender?

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Well not the whole animating, I'm sure that can be done in DAZ. You just need to separate the shoes in Blender in two objects, and import them again in DAZ.

Reactions: coffeeaddicted

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
If you can find shoes that came independent of each other, then it should work okay. Problem is that not many come with separate options. The only ones that do this that I'm aware of are these (I refuse to call them sneakers).

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
If you can find shoes that came independent of each other, then it should work okay. Problem is that not many come with separate options. The only ones that do this that I'm aware of are these (I refuse to call them sneakers).
Well, no.
Its these shoes.

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Well, no.
Its these shoes.
Well, that's why I linked the only shoes I was aware of that had separate options. Your use-case is incredibly niche, and if you can't/don't want to use Blender, then you've gotta take what you can get.

Besides the aforementioned Blender, the only other realistic option would be to see if each shoe has sperate surfaces (which I doubt). If they do, you might be able to make one of them invisible by turning down the cutout opacity, then apply a second pair and make the one shoe from the second pair invisible.

Last edited:

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Well, that's why I linked the only shoes I was aware of that had separate options. Your use-case is incredibly niche, and if you can't/don't want to use Blender, then you've gotta take what you can get.

Besides the aforementioned Blender, the only other realistic option would be to see if each shoe has sperate surfaces (which I doubt). If they do, you might be able to make one of them invisible by turning down the cutout opacity, then apply a second pair and make the one shoe from the second pair invisible.
I will try Blender. I hope i can do it. Yes, its probably rare but i think it will enhance the scene.

moose_puck

Sep 6, 2021
Hey guys...

... there's a really simple ghetto solution you know.

1. Put the shoes on the model
2. Position the model's feet/legs to put the shoes in whatever position you want them
3. Unparent the shoes from the base model
4. Hide said model
5. Render (or Spot Render) the shoes

Really gheto but it works (just tested it) It would probably work best as a spot render you can composite onto the original render.

There are a few assets out there that let you use the shoes as props. I got one for a street outfit (sneakers, sweats and hoodie) that lets you put the shoes in as a single prop and even change the materials on the prop versions.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Hey guys...

... there's a really simple ghetto solution you know.

1. Put the shoes on the model
2. Position the model's feet/legs to put the shoes in whatever position you want them
3. Unparent the shoes from the base model
4. Hide said model
5. Render (or Spot Render) the shoes

Really gheto but it works (just tested it) It would probably work best as a spot render you can composite onto the original render.

There are a few assets out there that let you use the shoes as props. I got one for a street outfit (sneakers, sweats and hoodie) that lets you put the shoes in as a single prop and even change the materials on the prop versions.
Well that kind of works too i suppose.
So you disable everything else and then merge the images together. In the end, how isn't important but the results are.
I am sorry, i haven't had time to get to this yet as i was too tired yesterday. I will try that today.

moose_puck

Sep 6, 2021
Well that kind of works too i suppose.
So you disable everything else and then merge the images together. In the end, how isn't important but the results are.
I am sorry, i haven't had time to get to this yet as i was too tired yesterday. I will try that today.
Not disable, per say... just super easy to load a default genesis character and then put the shoes on them and manipulate the characters legs/feet to get the shoe positions you want. Then you can just hide the genesis model during the render. You can do it at the same time as your render the main scene or as a spot render to add later. Up to you.

I personally would probably do this because (1) it's fast and (2) I don't have to dig into geometry and create a new asset. But then again, I have very little experience hacking an asset's geometry apart. Took me half a day to make a custom case of beer from an exisiting pile of carboard boxes that was part of the FG Shipping Center, lol. I'm sure a DAZ/Blender expert wouldn't hesitate to hack the shoes off instead.

digitbrush

Apr 5, 2019
there are 2 ways i do this....because my models shoes always end up flying everywhere!

1) in the scene, right click on the shoe you want to disappear....youll see a popup menu....choose the right or left shoe...this will take you directly to the spot in your scene tab. hide the right foot (of the shoe) and every bone underneath it to the toes...the right shoe disappears and your left with the left one visible now. you can resave this as a prop and do the same with other shoe. this is if you have shoes that are not separated...

to unparent the shoe from the model, you go to the shoe in the scene tab....right click on it... usually there are 2 parameters... Parenting and Fit To. click on both ...their boxes in the popup need to be unchecked and None chosen in the drop down Menus there instead of Genesis 8 etc...then your shoe is free to move around. this is for anything object parented to anything.

Last edited:

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
there are 2 ways i do this....because my models shoes always end up flying everywhere!

1) in the scene, right click on the shoe you want to disappear....youll see a popup menu....choose the right or left shoe...this will take you directly to the spot in your scene tab. hide the right foot and every bone underneath it to the toes...the right shoe disappears and your left with the left one visible now. you can resave this as a prop and do the same with other shoe. this is if you have shoes that are not separated...

to unparent the shoe from the model, you go to the shoe in the scene tab....right click on it... usually there are 2 parameters... Parenting and Fit To. click on both ...their boxes in the popup need to be unchecked and None chosen in the drop down Menus there instead of Genesis 8 etc...then your shoe is free to move around. this is for anything object parented to anything.
As far as I'm aware, this'll only work if said shoe assets come individually. Which is surprisingly rare.

Last edited:

digitbrush

Apr 5, 2019
As far as I'm aware, this'll only work if said shoe assets come individually. Which is surprisingly rare.
from the content library, most of my shoes are one item asset. some come as 2 loadable assets. my method was for the single asset shoes. am i missing something here ?

Reactions: MissFortune

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
from the content library, most of my shoes are one item asset. some come as 2 loadable assets. my method was for the single asset shoes. am i missing something here ?
Nevermind. Misread it.

Reactions: digitbrush

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
there is gimp or photoshop you can do that there as well just have to render all 8 to 12 direction the shoes without a character and then import the shoes in the scene with the photo editor afterwards