Should I be more vague about my game's location?

Soft Whisper

Game Developer
Apr 9, 2023
Currently, I'm working on a game that's based in a real location, but I'm wondering if I should be more vague about the specific city/country it takes place in? The game's story is based on a real experience but is ultimately a work of fiction since I'm taking so many liberties with what happened. I'm drawing on my personal experience in this specific location to write this story. Personally, I prefer having the game based in a real location since it makes the story more believable, but I wouldn't want to offend anyone by making an adult game centered around their home city/country. All the characters are asian though, so mentioning the game's location and why you're in this location surrounded by a harem of asian women goes hand in hand with the story. Plus, I'm able to identify specific foods, alcohols, + sub-districts of the city that help the game feel more authentic. Maybe it's a bad idea to be too specific though? Idk, I could be over thinking this. Opinions?

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
over thinking
If a specific setting, details, and experiences add to the storyline, character arcs, and the atmosphere - by all means use it. If you're using it as a crutch to shortcut the narrative - and doing so uncreatively, then don't. Sounds like you have the right mindset - but remember to weave those details rather than slap the audience in the face.

Even using title cards such as "Location: Tokyo, 1955" can be helpful if not overused - it allows the audience to use their own notions of that that means to set the scene in their heads. You don't then need to beat them over the head with details - except those few you either want to reinforce or subvert. But then be prepared to be more creative in the other details so as not to simply be "checking off the boxes" by using banal information.

Soft Whisper

Game Developer
Apr 9, 2023
Good idea, I'll try to avoid using the location as a crutch. It might be easy to fall into that trap while writing.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
give enough specifics to trigger the association but leave rest open. overdetailing gets tedious and distracting, and the reader's mind usually fills the open gaps far better than we could ever write.

but I don't think anyone minds their home mentioned, if anything it's a source of joy to see it. it's not a coincidence how rock bands on tour start their gigs by mentioning the town's name. people know where they live but they still love others noticing it.

Reactions: Soft Whisper

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
I think a unique locale along with " specific foods, alcohols, + sub-districts of the city " help the game feel more fresh and original compared the super common "vaguely North American clichés I saw on TV", as long as the player doesn't feel there are references and subtext that go over their head.

Last edited: