Should one word replies be counted as spam and removed automatically?

What's the most common one-word response in a thread?

• Save

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Update

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • New link/host

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Android/Mac/Linux

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Mod/Patch

• Walkthrough/Guide

• Compressed

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Hero

• Unspecified (Give an example)

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

riverrungames

Dominus vobiscum
Game Developer
Sep 18, 2021
One word replies and responses in threads are annoying. It can't be just me, as I'm noticing more and more of these posts recently. It's hard to browse a page without people asking for saves; or Android or Mac ports; Or people asking for a new update, or a new download link; Or those early release leaks—'we need a hero' posts. Or mods; or walkthroughs; Or compressed versions of the game. (I'm certain I'm missing some, you can list other examples here.) These replies are the biggest examples of thread bloat, and such posts—along with the walls of traceback.txt logs—make it more than bothersome for people who want to talk about a game in any real sense.

Of course, there is value in members asking or suggesting these things, when the appropriate parties (the modder, the compressor, the uploader, and so on) are notified and take notice of such suggestions. This benefits everyone. But how many of these replies are made after the fact, and how many of these posts can be reduced by people simply using the search function or reading the opening post?

Hegel wrote that truth can't be stated in a single sentence. I wouldn't go that far. Yet there is not really any instance of a one-word reply that doesn't lead to spam. Spam begets spam, which makes it impossible to find anything else. My suggestion, in the same way reviews require a specific amount of characters to be counted as legitimate, there should be a similar requirement of replies having to comprise of more than a single word.

What do you think? Do you think a word or character limit would help with thread bloat, and cut down on redundant posts? Or is the proposal useless and counterintuitive, and create more problems, like people spamming to get around the one-word limit? Let me know.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
You reference Hegel, how quaint.

I shall return your serve with a modern reference, that of Betteridge:

No.

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
Yet there is not really any instance of a one-word reply that doesn't lead to spam.
Yes there are, e.g. 'Thanks' is a perfectly adequate response if someone helped you out.

The general premise that people posting 'update', 'save' or 'walkthrough' is spammy is reasonable. Extending that to preventing all one-word replies isn't merited.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaike

Hagatagar

Oct 11, 2019
If you want to auto-delete one word replies, people will simple use two words.
It's the same with a minumum character limit, people will just use longer sentences.
Something like that will never work.
Because the root of the problem remains the same, the constantly repeated question for something, which seems to be your main concern.

More feasible would be an option in the Preferences so everyone can decide for themselves whether one word replies are automatically hidden or not.

yihman1

Knockout Master
May 11, 2017
If one person posts "Android?" and another posts "Android version please?" is the 2nd one really less spam than the 1st?

riverrungames

Dominus vobiscum
Game Developer
Sep 18, 2021
Yes there are, e.g. 'Thanks' is a perfectly adequate response if someone helped you out.

The general premise that people posting 'update', 'save' or 'walkthrough' is spammy is reasonable. Extending that to preventing all one-word replies isn't merited.
I see your point, but have you seen this user's posts? :p

If you want to auto-delete one word replies, people will simple use two words.
It's the same with a minumum character limit, people will just use longer sentences.
Something like that will never work.
Because the root of the problem remains the same, the constantly repeated question for something, which seems to be your main concern.

More feasible would be an option in the Preferences so everyone can decide for themselves whether one word replies are automatically hidden or not.
I wouldn't be opposed to having an option to ignore one word replies in preferences, in the same way people can individually choose to mute keywords and phrases on Twitter. And yes, I realize people will just get around the limit by spamming. I already alluded to the possibility in the OP.

The question is would the majority of people choose to spam to get around these limits, or would some of them modulate their replies in the same way people better articulate their thoughts, like when posting a review of a game? In other words, it's a question of predictive psychology.

If one person posts "Android?" and another posts "Android version please?" is the 2nd one really less spam than the 1st?
There is a qualitative difference in those two posts, so yes, I believe the second reply is better than the first.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: FookU2

riverrungames

Dominus vobiscum
Game Developer
Sep 18, 2021
Also, how did I forget "Abandoned?" and "NTR?" These two replies are the biggest culprits of spammy replies. Although if we got rid of these replies, I'm sure the forum activity would be reduced by eighty percent, probably for the better.

ZephyrCloack

Mar 1, 2022
"Should one word replies be counted as spam and removed automatically?"

Yes they should, still...

How pertinent is it to the thread ? is it dead? Is it a on-going poll? is it Hello World kind of thread? or +/-Respect/Karma response?

In the end Forums have always been places for people to converse/socialize, sometimes one word is enough to keep the conversation going or express that persons opinion, but we can argue that certain sections could use a cleanse of one word or just meme replies, unless they come along with some substance.

The question is would the majority of people choose to spam to get around these limits, or would some of them modulate their replies in the same way people better articulate their thoughts, like when posting a review of a game? In other words, it's a question of predictive psychology.
Those that want to actually converse/contribute will continue to do so, while trolls will find excuses for their behavior and keep on-going since that is entertainment for them, the same for rule breakers and those that love to find flaws to exploit.

That's part of our human society.

Last edited:
Reactions: riverrungames

Sapha

Sep 28, 2020
Please remember that not everyone is proficient in the english language. Someone saying "Android" or "Save" or anything like that might be a really polite and well spoken person who just doesn't know how to express themselves in english. By restricting even the little interaction the are able to contribute with you are essentially shutting them out of the forum. We should help these people, not say "we don't want your kind in here".

riverrungames

Dominus vobiscum
Game Developer
Sep 18, 2021
your life must be amazing if this seems like a real problem to you.
It's a small suggestion to curb a minor annoyance. Keep your pants on.

Please remember that not everyone is proficient in the english language. Someone saying "Android" or "Save" or anything like that might be a really polite and well spoken person who just doesn't know how to express themselves in english. By restricting even the little interaction the are able to contribute with you are essentially shutting them out of the forum. We should help these people, not say "we don't want your kind in here".
Perhaps that's true, and many people post in their own languages too, doesn't mean it's permitted on the forums. But I don't think it's the case here. On the contrary, I've encountered plenty of non-native English speakers on the forums make a concerted effort to translate their posts through an online translator, or at the very least point out their lack of proficiency in a sentence or two. I would hazard a guess posting with a word has less to do with language proficiency, and more to do with laziness and an inability to use the search function as needed.

I don't really have a problem with allowing languages in specific threads where a majority of people speak that language. It's the same case with allowing one-word replies in some places (like in off-topic), but as a general rule, the usage shouldn't be as widespread as it is.

No I haven't, because that link doesn't work for me. The number at the end is probably an index specific to your search, which doesn't work for other people I guess.
Sorry, fixed. If it still doesn't work, it's the one guy who spams "thx" everywhere, you know who.