Show screen then a pause?? (Solved)

Scarecrow-76

Oct 4, 2021
I just spent 4 hours trying to figure this out. I know it's probably an easy fix. I just keep finding docs. that are close but not working for me. Anyways, I have a scene with an image button that will jump to the next label/scene. But there's no dialogue. So what happens is the code reads all the way through, without stopping. I need a pause after the imagebutton appears to let the player decide. I tried pause, $renpy.pause, Null,. I feel that I'm close but just getting the syntax wrong.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
So you want to wait for an user input before continuing? can't you just put it inside a while loop? So until a choice is made you stay in the same scene.

Scarecrow-76

Oct 4, 2021
Wasn't aware of a while loop. I was just instructed on Reddit to put the pause after the scene. I've been putting it after the imagebutton and before the next label. I'm going to try both. Thanks.

Scarecrow-76

Oct 4, 2021
Well the pause worked after the scene but stopped the imagebutton from appearing. So I tried one last time to put it between the button and the next label and fml, it worked perfectly. I did restart renpy before trying it, but I restarted before with no luck. No clue, just glad it's working.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Anyways, I have a scene with an image button that will jump to the next label/scene. But there's no dialogue. So what happens is the code reads all the way through, without stopping. I need a pause after the imagebutton appears to let the player decide. I tried pause, $renpy.pause, Null,. I feel that I'm close but just getting the syntax wrong.
It's not the syntax that you are getting wrong, it's the whole code logic.

When you open the documentation (that come with Ren'Py, on a "doc" subfolder where you put Ren'Py itself) and go to the page dedicated to screens and the screen language, you found an entry for the statement. And this statement is what you are looking for.

Code:
screen whatever():
    textbutton "Yes I want":
        action Jump( "somewhere" )

label whatever:
    "Hey, hello, do you want to go somewhere ?"
    call screen whatever

label somewhere:
    "welcome 'somewhere'"
    "END"

Scarecrow-76

Oct 4, 2021
Thanks so much. Someone had mentioned this to me. I appreciate it. I'm going to change the code tonight and try it. Thanks again. Sometimes the doc goes over my head when I'm trying to understand it.