Seeking Similar games to battle of the bulges?

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
I'm bumping this, and I'm stealing your siggy :) @timdonehy200 is awesome!!! I want a Battle of the Bulges for a whole week! What a pleasant disaster that would be in my personal life.
I hate the devs that can't use the RPGM engine. Coceter Chronicles is a pretty much perfect game though. I wouldn't be opposed to something on a much larger scale for the game, but as long as we are an indie industry there's not much that a single dev can do.

This is coming from someone who does abhor the engine for many reasons... But I no longer let that decide if I'll play a game or not.

lots`o`fap

Dec 22, 2017
I hate the devs that can't use the RPGM engine. Coceter Chronicles is a pretty much perfect game though. I wouldn't be opposed to something on a much larger scale for the game, but as long as we are an indie industry there's not much that a single dev can do.

This is coming from someone who does abhor the engine for many reasons... But I no longer let that decide if I'll play a game or not.
Is that a typo? You "hate the devs that can't use the RPGM engine"? I don't know... is it difficult to use? Then I'm really lost on the benefits but willing to listen :confused: I've never developed a VN game, but considering the anal dribble that RPGM creates as an engine and the loss of an annoyed fan base to boot, yeah I wouldn't develop with it. I'm D/L'ing now as I too will check out a game even if it was written in an engine that was plenty good for MS-DOS with an upside-down keyboard layout. I'm not advocating something bloated either as Queen Elizabeth's cunt gut Unity engine. For VNs, I much prefer Ren'Py as a sanity check for both sides--open source, lightweight, cross-platform, hackable and extensible. It just works too. I did just play a game that was written in Visioneer Studio. I think that might be the best-performing engine I've ever used, but it costs.
(Cunt Gut: The soft pudgy area between the navel and the hairy slit)

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
Is that a typo? You "hate the devs that can't use the RPGM engine"? I don't know... is it difficult to use? Then I'm really lost on the benefits but willing to listen :confused: I've never developed a VN game, but considering the anal dribble that RPGM creates as an engine and the loss of an annoyed fan base to boot, yeah I wouldn't develop with it. I'm D/L'ing now as I too will check out a game even if it was written in an engine that was plenty good for MS-DOS with an upside-down keyboard layout. I'm not advocating something bloated either as Queen Elizabeth's cunt gut Unity engine. For VNs, I much prefer Ren'Py as a sanity check for both sides--open source, lightweight, cross-platform, hackable and extensible. It just works too. I did just play a game that was written in Visioneer Studio. I think that might be the best-performing engine I've ever used, but it costs.
(Cunt Gut: The soft pudgy area between the navel and the hairy slit)
I'm a Ren'Py dev myself, so I can't tell you about the developer experience with the engine, just my end user perspective. Coceter Chronicles, The Artifact *in fact all the ICCreations titles, and Zoe's Temptation are all relatively fun games though in spite of the medium. I think Coceter is one of the best games I've ever played.

What RPGM does well that is much less immersive to do with Ren'Py or the VN format in general, is the way it uses its map system. Ren'Py can have that, it can even, to an extent animate them like Faerin has done, but it's still just a map. In RPGM games its an environment that you move around in and interact with. What's really convenient about this is how it is able to cut down on render sizes. For instance, if you needed a room full of people for a scene and you had to design and render each one perfectly, and pose them, you'd have to wait forever for the render to finish. Most single character scenes on high end machines take a good deal of time to render, each character, the size of the environment, all of it, takes a huge amount of time. You'd spend days rendering the throne room in Coceter with the 6-8 characters that are in it at any given time.

If there were a team of developers you could pull something like that off, but even then you'd need at least 5 artists. However even that would take a lot of time, because the coordination steps you'd need to take would take time. Realistically, you'd need one person to Design all the characters initially then you'd need 2 or 3 expert posers, and one guy who was really good at environments, be the setting in a castle or a forest or a city. So the one guy makes everyone, the one guy creates all the settings, and the 2-3 others spend time posing them and putting them into those settings when necessary. Needless to say, that game needs to be making Dark Silver money to be able to support that team.

One day I'd like to get together a team and take to kickstarter to have us raise enough money to make something more on the scale of Life is Strange or any of the telltale games series, only with heavy adult content. But until then, I can't really see anything that can match the scale of a good RPGM in an indie platform.

Reactions: lots`o`fap

lots`o`fap

Dec 22, 2017
Is the 6-8 character scene in Coceter the one with those little low-tech people characters? I can understand how that would save cycles, but it also drives me nuts to interact with them. I just feel like I'm seven again, so I wait to land on the gold and see an image or animation. Also the built-in sound effects are like fingernails on a chalkboard :FeelsBadMan:
I respect your comment about a larger team to pull off something more, so now I think this Visionaire Studio might have something right. Supposedly the dev did all himself. The backgrounds and backlots were insanely good resolution and color-depth. Regardless I agree about rendering, and don't think there's anything anyone can do once they commit to hitting that render button on a scale like that except feel the pain and hope it was worth it.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
Is the 6-8 character scene in Coceter the one with those little low-tech people characters? I can understand how that would save cycles, but it also drives me nuts to interact with them. I just feel like I'm seven again, so I wait to land on the gold and see an image or animation. Also the built-in sound effects are like fingernails on a chalkboard :FeelsBadMan:
I respect your comment about a larger team to pull off something more, so now I think this Visionaire Studio might have something right. Supposedly the dev did all himself. The backgrounds and backlots were insanely good resolution and color-depth. Regardless I agree about rendering, and don't think there's anything anyone can do once they commit to hitting that render button on a scale like that except feel the pain and hope it was worth it.
That room with the characters is shown in sprite form until you interact, and then it has a beautifully rendered scene that cuts the guards from the scene as they're behind you, leaving you with only 4, as you aren't rendered in the scene either. However, walking into a throne room without guards posted would be really unimmersive. Again, I'm not saying that RPGM is a masterpiece of technology, I'm just saying it's the best I'd expect of a developer trying to tell an adventure story.

I meant to add this, before, but a game in Ren'Py has a hard time with immersive travel. Ren'py works best if there is a starting point and an end point. Branches can occur, however for the most part, they all lead to the same place. You may find some endings where that end point is the same, but what happens has changed, or you might find a game that has 2 end points with branching elements. But you'll rarely find a game that lets you wander made in Ren'py.

Dreaming of Dana and Man of the House have attempted this, however since everything relies so heavily on scripted events you often find that going somewhere that has no meaning at that time will be blocked or simply lead you to an empty cell. In a good RPGM you can enter a ton of buildings and interact with the environment. Doing so in Coceter Chronicles lets you learn a little more about the human world. You discover a few things that have happened, for instance exploring this one house finds a blurry photo and a journal entry. The Photo looks like the Alcurian Courtney in her true form, wings, penis, and green hair. I assume that you'll inform Courtney about this so she can be more careful in the future...

Such exploration and interaction is possible in Ren'Py, but again that means you're building settings and rendering interiors and a lot of things that get very heavy on your end. It's one thing to show us a computer desk. Its another to show us all the rooms of the house you just walked into to explore.

Reactions: lots`o`fap

lots`o`fap

Dec 22, 2017
Well it seems it's a good thing that you're on the Ren'Py team. I mentioned that I've never developed an adult game, but I think like many on here, we toy with the idea of making our own. I actually went as far as looking at SaaS render farms online. The costs are way too high to just try something for fun, at least with my budget. So considering your notes, I'd be stuck with my machines at home and maybe getting a loaner from a friend or two during a render weekend. I enjoy lots of branches and exploring, especially when there's a sexual payoff. I would probably make a game like that, but I cringe at the idea of using RPGM, so I'll have to see what else is out there. Wikipedia's list of game engines is quite attractive. I do see some other FOSS engines listed and freeware as well, but I haven't seen them used in adult games though I don't know why. Maybe because so many are VN games versus the mainstream FPS types of Western games. Curious.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
Well it seems it's a good thing that you're on the Ren'Py team. I mentioned that I've never developed an adult game, but I think like many on here, we toy with the idea of making our own. I actually went as far as looking at SaaS render farms online. The costs are way too high to just try something for fun, at least with my budget. So considering your notes, I'd be stuck with my machines at home and maybe getting a loaner from a friend or two during a render weekend. I enjoy lots of branches and exploring, especially when there's a sexual payoff. I would probably make a game like that, but I cringe at the idea of using RPGM, so I'll have to see what else is out there. Wikipedia's list of game engines is quite attractive. I do see some other FOSS engines listed and freeware as well, but I haven't seen them used in adult games though I don't know why. Maybe because so many are VN games versus the mainstream FPS types of Western games. Curious.
As you can see from my signature, I'm just writing it. I found an artist who's doing the rendering for me. It's gonna be a couple months before the first release, because he's gotta create the initial characters and their environments, but after that he'll mostly just be posing them in those environments and time will shorten. So If the idea of going and rendering yourself is too daunting you could always do that.

lots`o`fap

Dec 22, 2017
As you can see from my signature, I'm just writing it. I found an artist who's doing the rendering for me. It's gonna be a couple months before the first release, because he's gotta create the initial characters and their environments, but after that he'll mostly just be posing them in those environments and time will shorten. So If the idea of going and rendering yourself is too daunting you could always do that.
Yes, I did follow you to see your developments. Good luck with it! I imagine it's quite exciting and rewarding, at least personally if not financially. I wonder how/if in the real world connecting two or more rendering machines directly on the Internet would be possible and have any performance gain? Would a middleware be necessary? I'm aware of a render farm on a LAN such as I used to use with Compressor (Final Cut Studio 6). Blender scales like this incredibly well and free.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
Both would probably need at least a T1 connection and be direct connected to the internet. Just to be viable. You'd also want them really close, low ping low latency type scenario.

horsemanuk

Feb 21, 2018
i would like to try some similar games to battle of the bulges, any suggestions...?
#Rival#Challenging#incest#contesting#somanybitches#
thanks
The battle of the bulges style is certainly unique. I've also been playing 'my new life' in which you play a young guy with a big cock and guide him through his 'new life', it includes comments about his endowment and compare situations. Although the engine is not as fluid as battle of the bulges and is a very different style. It does have interactive sex scenes (but are very prone to the 'cannot read null' error) and a very immersive game.

I cant wait for battle of the bulges to get another significant update! as its so good.

Oct 17, 2017
The battle of the bulges style is certainly unique. I've also been playing 'my new life' in which you play a young guy with a big cock and guide him through his 'new life', it includes comments about his endowment and compare situations. Although the engine is not as fluid as battle of the bulges and is a very different style. It does have interactive sex scenes (but are very prone to the 'cannot read null' error) and a very immersive game.

I cant wait for battle of the bulges to get another significant update! as its so good.
thanks mate, for the suggestion. I've played it though, but it didn't steal my attention like this one :)