Daz Tutorial Simple post-work and tricks for your renders

Empiric

Throbbing Member
Respected User
Game Developer
Jan 13, 2020
This is a simple guide. I'll show how I do the most basic post-work on my renders and some tricks I use.

It's basically a step by step how I got from first image to the second one.

pwt1.jpg pwt final.jpg

Step 1: Rendering main image and basic post-work.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Step 2: Rendering additional lights and mask
As I said, I knew the lighting was not adequate and I'd need to improve it. So what do you do, is you go into the Daz scene you rendered and you hide everything you don't want the additional lights to affect. Which is in this case everything except the girl. Then you go to environment tab and change mode to scene only and obviously also hide the main lights you used for the image, which in my image was the pointlight.

Now you can add the lights and render the image using same camera as the original.

Step 3: Applying additional lights
Back in Photoshop, you have the image with the basic adjustments from first step minus the high-pass (You do that one last). What you do is simply drag the additional lights you rendered onto the image and change the blending mode to screen or lighten and adjust opacity.

Step 4: Using the mask and final image

Now to why you might often want to render out the mask and what can you do with it.

Denoising
I also wanted to mention denoising, as there are often discussions and some people will keep telling you how bad using it is.

Last edited:

46n2

Jun 29, 2021
This is a simple guide. I'll show how I do the most basic post-work on my renders and some tricks I use.
I thank you, sir.

Ya know, one of the most interesting things about DAZ is… it’s as easy to be surprised by a relatively large gain made easy - as it is to be discouraged by all there is yet LEFT to know.

I’m only scratching the surface at this point, despite having invested a fair amount of time. I am making incrimental gains while they are sustainable. Blocks on top of block on top of blocks. All good. At this point my greatest fear might be this very topic… “I’ve got Lighting yet left to figure out. And that’s a potential nightmare in waiting.”

As with so many other posts (or posters) here at F95… you’ve managed to squash my fear a fair amount. Much appreciate you carving out the time.

Cheers, mate.

-Her hair in particular is noticeably affected by the Photoshop post-work. From simply there - to vibrant and alive. Most definitely worth the effort. And you are a master of the tools available in Photoshop (which I haven’t fucked with for maybe 15 years now, doing websites; so that’ll be a doozy for me to relearn. I think I was on… Photshop 6? Maybe 7?). I do rememeber Layering as godlike to Shop as the Multitrack is to Recording. Game-changer.

Happy Friday and a good weekend to you all…

YaYa_UnTIN2

Misunderstood Thinker
Donor
Dec 19, 2017
Thanks for the tut, I always seem to forget about using the negative mask for lighting and image "pop".

- I'll see if I can create a better Daz3D render/PS post workflow art by trying to follow your example.

The way I do it now is overkill/messy, and time wasting I must admit - I'm no Pro - I'm just an interested "nerd level" artist. :geek:

Good luck with your game.