Ren'Py Sized Video inside the game

dakila

Mar 31, 2018
Hi,

I've been looking for a way to play a video or at least something like that in Renpy. Unfortunately I can only find solutions for BGs but I want the video to be played in a virtual smartphone in my game while being able to pause and fast forward and rewind the video at the same time.

Can someone help me with that?

Thanks.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
[...] but I want the video to be played in a virtual smartphone in my game
Haven't tested it, but I guess that generate a generic displayable, so:
Code:
image myMovie = Movie( play="whatever you want" )

screen myScreen():
    add smartphoneBackGround
    add myMovie pos( 100, 100 )
should works.

while being able to pause and fast forward and rewind the video at the same time.
Hmm, haven't really played with videos, but I'm really not sure that it's possible. At best play, and the , can perhaps deal with movies by side effect. But even if it works, you wouldn't have the possibility to place the movie, and only can pause it.

The best workaround is probably to split the movie in small parts, and having something like:
Code:
mark
    play current movie part
    while pauseFlag -> wait
    if backwardFlag -> movie = previous movie
    else movie = next movie
    loop to mark

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
The only proper way you are going to get a video playing in a smartphone or any other medium is with adobe after affects, as you can manipulate video as if it was an image. You would be able to resize a video inside of renpy yes, but then it has to be shown straight on the screen and squashed onto said medium device, where after affects it doesn't matter. I put a sex scene on a TV behind a sex scene in front of it, as if looking at the TV from different angles.