• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Daz Skin - soften wrinkles

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
So here is my "problem".

I am using mabel 8 skin on a different character. I like that skin because it has great wrinkles and detail but i am wondering if i can soften, dampen the skin wrinkle effect so it become a more rejuvenated skin. Still wrinkles but lesser.
Now i tried in the surface to lower the values of normal map, lobe or what not but it doesn't seem to get where i want to go.
Is there something i did not think off?
Or is there a better way to do what i am trying to do?

If someone knows something, please post it. Or maybe i need to it a different way?

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
It's likely added to the model/mesh itself, if the normal/bump map isn't changing anything.

Reactions: coffeeaddicted

drapak12

Jul 7, 2018
So here is my "problem".

I am using mabel 8 skin on a different character. I like that skin because it has great wrinkles and detail but i am wondering if i can soften, dampen the skin wrinkle effect so it become a more rejuvenated skin. Still wrinkles but lesser.
Now i tried in the surface to lower the values of normal map, lobe or what not but it doesn't seem to get where i want to go.
Is there something i did not think off?
Or is there a better way to do what i am trying to do?

If someone knows something, please post it. Or maybe i need to it a different way?
Mabel has 2 sort of wrinkles: normal/bump maps and HD morphs
HD morphs cannot be edited but you can of course use 50% of morphs or reder model with low resolution. HD morphs work best with 4 subdivision lvl but on lvl 1 or 2 it looks more "soft".

If you want change maps you must be a little bit familiar with Gimp or Photoshop. Normal maps are difficult to change - easier way is creating new normals from bump map (Mabel bump maps are quite good). You can find free Gimp filter which create NM projection according to any image.
If you want to make it "softer" start with Mabel8FaceB02_1001.jpg.
1. Open with gimp and "duplicate layer"
2. On duplicated layer "Create alpha"
3. Use filter "Gausian blur" on duplicated layer (efffects are visible if you use blur 10 or more pixels)
4. Erase edge/borders of map duplicated layer. Use soft brush 50 or 75 % and size over 100. Edge of map, where face texture connect to torso should be visible.
5. "Flatten image"
6. Create normal projection from image. Try few different setting to obtain NM map similar to Mabel8_Face_NM_1001.tif (you can always use ctrl Z)
7. Open Mabel8_Face_NM_1001.tif with Gimp and load your NM map over it.
8. Repeat point 4 - 5.
You can either create soften some areas erasing part of new maps. For example erase eyehole area - it makes eyewrinkles sharp but laughlines and other softer.

It looks complicated but is quite easy. There are some tools which help you - . It makes point 4-5 easier, can be used in Daz studio as well - there is basic image editor which let you use mask. No eraser but you can multiply layer original and soften with mask.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Mabel has 2 sort of wrinkles: normal/bump maps and HD morphs
HD morphs cannot be edited but you can of course use 50% of morphs or reder model with low resolution. HD morphs work best with 4 subdivision lvl but on lvl 1 or 2 it looks more "soft".

If you want change maps you must be a little bit familiar with Gimp or Photoshop. Normal maps are difficult to change - easier way is creating new normals from bump map (Mabel bump maps are quite good). You can find free Gimp filter which create NM projection according to any image.
If you want to make it "softer" start with Mabel8FaceB02_1001.jpg.
1. Open with gimp and "duplicate layer"
2. On duplicated layer "Create alpha"
3. Use filter "Gausian blur" on duplicated layer (efffects are visible if you use blur 10 or more pixels)
4. Erase edge/borders of map duplicated layer. Use soft brush 50 or 75 % and size over 100. Edge of map, where face texture connect to torso should be visible.
5. "Flatten image"
6. Create normal projection from image. Try few different setting to obtain NM map similar to Mabel8_Face_NM_1001.tif (you can always use ctrl Z)
7. Open Mabel8_Face_NM_1001.tif with Gimp and load your NM map over it.
8. Repeat point 4 - 5.
You can either create soften some areas erasing part of new maps. For example erase eyehole area - it makes eyewrinkles sharp but laughlines and other softer.

It looks complicated but is quite easy. There are some tools which help you - . It makes point 4-5 easier, can be used in Daz studio as well - there is basic image editor which let you use mask. No eraser but you can multiply layer original and soften with mask.
That sounds like a plan.
To be honest, i forgot about the subdivisions. I tried to adjust normal map etc. but that didn't do anything for obvious reasons.
So yes, this seems like something i can try.
In the meantime i did the cheap trick, i just use Sydney's skin but i think it is important to know the how's in changing a skin in this way.
I playing around with a transformation, for my own entertainment.

First, i had to think how to work with the morphs. I liked the Lina character but its quite complicated to get the body parts to conform to a surgery. It is again the skin that has all the great wrinkles and bumps.
So i went with reverse changes. From Bimbo to old and wrinkle.
I also used a free body morph to fit my wish how the body should look like.

The skin itself seemed to be the problem but i did not want to discard the real life looks. I was thinking off skin rejuvenation of sorts.

I know Gimp though i am using NetPaint currently.

Map Fusion looks like a great tool for that purpose.
As for Mabel. It seems that everything is baked into the skin. There aren't any parameters used when you load the character.
So i will head your advise. :)

Thanks for sharing.

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Have you tried the Aging Face Details by Zev0?

Reactions: Jumbi

drapak12

Jul 7, 2018
As for Mabel. It seems that everything is baked into the skin. There aren't any parameters used when you load the character.
I do not understand. I have Mabel and I can change any map in surface panel.

Ref Sydney and her HD morphs, she has one of the best HD nipples. If you smooth her face you lost nips details as well.
Ref to map fusion - it is worth to expand blending area (make it wider) especially on face. YOu can do it with gausian blur and multiplying blurred layers.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Have you tried the Aging Face Details by Zev0?
Yes, i did. At least a long time ago and it seems you need to bump up the sublevel to have it work.
I have to try it again. It does has everything one can hope for.
Or did you mean that you can make them disappear?
In any case, i will try that out.

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Yes, i did. At least a long time ago and it seems you need to bump up the sublevel to have it work.
I have to try it again. It does has everything one can hope for.
Or did you mean that you can make them disappear?
In any case, i will try that out.
Oh, no. I meant trying it on another HQ younger skin to get the effect you want. Works fairly well with older/middle-aged leaning models like Jaqueline 8.1.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I do not understand. I have Mabel and I can change any map in surface panel.

Ref Sydney and her HD morphs, she has one of the best HD nipples. If you smooth her face you lost nips details as well.
Ref to map fusion - it is worth to expand blending area (make it wider) especially on face. YOu can do it with gausian blur and multiplying blurred layers.
Yes, you can.
When i look in the viewport i did not see any changes. It looks the same to me if i change any value. Meaning i still see the wrinkles. I was hoping for some softening effect.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Oh, no. I meant trying it on another HQ younger skin to get the effect you want. Works fairly well with older/middle-aged leaning models like Jaqueline 8.1.
Oh yes, than it's clear.
No, the asset work fine. I don't know. I kind of fell in love with mabel and sydney skin. It just looks great.
Most model skin looks ....mmm pale. I don't have the right word for it but it looks just ... no details like liver spots or what normal people have on their skin.

I did not consider (yet) to use a younger skin.

I found some figure that is young where i will try this. Bridget.
Let's see how that works out.

drapak12

Jul 7, 2018
has good collection of middle aged and old characters. Fatal Stranger has very nice HD, because it fit to most textures. Sidney HD on Mabel texture looks weird.
Ref to baked skin I never had problem with adjusting parameters. Setting bump value to 0, 0,2 or 3 makes big difference. Moreover normal maps can be set over 1 value. It needs changing limits in properties but works.

Reactions: coffeeaddicted

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Ok, so i tried it and it looks fine.
So i post my exercise here so can critique it.
It seems to me that this is great approach without going to technical in altering skin.

story_bathroom02.jpg
test_bathroom02.jpg

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
has good collection of middle aged and old characters. Fatal Stranger has very nice HD, because it fit to most textures. Sidney HD on Mabel texture looks weird.
Ref to baked skin I never had problem with adjusting parameters. Setting bump value to 0, 0,2 or 3 makes big difference. Moreover normal maps can be set over 1 value. It needs changing limits in properties but works.
I actually bought Alla some time ago. Why? Because i liked her character. Lot's of details and likable.
I will keep that in mind with these values. Like i said, i played with them but i hoped for something (probably) that would happen.
I find this an interesting journey.

drapak12

Jul 7, 2018
Alla is nice similar to Gwyneth Paltrow. I tried to replace her bump maps with disp. Looks better IMO.