VN - Ren'Py - Abandoned - Slice [v0.1] [PastryBoy]

1. 4.00 star(s)

justapervert

By the time I am typing this it is currently version 0.1 and I highly doubt my opinion will change. Please scroll down for the Conclusion if you can't be arsed reading the entire review.

Story: Starting off the bat with a named character in a Japanese high school setting and as the Overview states, it is eerily similar to the numerous manga's with the same setting I've red in my short lifespan so I expected a bit of clichés but to my surprise almost none except the cousin and childhood friend everything the story so far is interesting and linear for what the game presents. In fact like a manga I can't wait for the next release just to satisfy my curiosity of how the story will unfold. Despite all that which is a lot in a first released I still can't immerse myself with the character, it feels like watching it playout without any attachment to what input action you play. Perhaps its the lack of past story telling since there isn't in my opinion a prologue or the fact I can't name the character. (4/5)

Gameplay: Oh where to begin, lets start with the menu ironically where my surprise starts. The UI has an entire overhaul change which normally for a first release is not a priority but this one has. With a musical note to playout along the design is a mixture of black and white but unlike other REN'PY menus this eye pleasing, Forgive me since its hard to put into words since the UI doesn't stick out like a sore thumb rather blends into the theme of what the game is going to be about, Highschool settings. Moving on the progression play is like any other visual novel yet uncommonly transitional cutscenes playout during the time of day and even more rare an analogue clock is presented, how does this tie into gameplay?. Well to start it tells us that there's a day and night system which is self explanatory but to go in such depth and detail to present not only a clock but the shadings and background determined of time shows how dedicated this Dev is. Even if its a small gameplay detail you got to give credit when its due. Furthermore the affinity system implemented is elementary yet it is not flawed. Nothing much to go on but sadly I have yet to see the attribute system implemented but the navigation makes up for that being bold and simplistic instead of selecting a random building. In total its taking what's already been known and twisting it in your own style which in this case has been executed surprisingly well. (5/5)

Scenes: Honestly I am quite envious of the females jawlines. All jokes aside from we have given the sprites aren't exactly eye pleasing yet personally this can be compensated by the backgrounds. Let me indulge you, the start beings in a classroom yet normally in other games its just pure white like purgatory yet this has slightly undertone colours which gives the affect of maple leaf's which gives either a sense of nostalgia or in this case new beginnings since the character just moved into Tokyo. This has been presented mostly outdoors though but now to them Dench Jawlines, though unrealistic the body type being petite is mostly common in japan, hell most of oriental Asian since I am Asian. All we have in smut scenes were just a hand job and if you consider it a cliché changing room incidents so it shan't be judged ruthlessly but Jesus those jawlines are off putting. (4/5)

Conclusion: Read this if you want a short summary of the game. Personally the story is interesting not great for what is presented but good for versatility of this new born game, Gameplay wise it is the run of mill visual explore type game with affection and attribute system emplaced and though the scenes are a bit off putting, it can be counteracted by how balance the story and gameplay can be.(4/5)

Note: this game gave flash back to when I was a younger lad who likes dating Asians and I have to say one of them reminds me of my ex, petit and off putting but I loved her personality, just smoked a cig now contemplating how maturity does not come with age. Also I laughed my tits off when introduced to the other male character since he looks like me though his personality sucks.

P.S: I wish the best to the players and the game Dev, I hope you are all in good health-justapervert