Slow download speeds

Wolvez

May 16, 2017
My internet download speed can get up to 600mbs thats up to, normaly I get between 150-250mbs and for some reason the past month or so any download sites such as mega/nopy etc with high download speeds I get barley 1mbs, something that should take me a 1min to download now takes me 10+mins. I did speed tests online and my download speed it shows its normal. I can download games like off steam at normal speeds but anything from a file host now takes me forever. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Edit: Even tested with a VPN its slightly better but only slightly not normal speed

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
[...] and for some reason the past month or so any download sites such as mega/nopy etc with high download speeds I get barley 1mbs, [...]
Could it be that, on their side, they can't generate bandwidth on a clap, and need to deal with what they have, split as equally as possible between all the users that are downloading right now ?
Could it be that the same also apply for every single actors between their servers and your computer, sometimes creating unexpected bottleneck ?
Could it be that last year's lockdown all over the world changed the way the society works, giving a bigger part to online consumption, while it permit to others to discover what can be done online ?
Could it be that each major broadcast company wanting to have its online viewing platform have lead to an exponential use of the bandwidth ?
Could it be that this broke the bandwidth usage prevision, leading to more bottleneck than expected, earlier than expected ?

Oh, and regarding Nopy, could it be that there's threads already addressing this issue and explaining why it actually happen ?

Hint: The answer is "yes" for all those questions.

Wolvez

May 16, 2017
Could it be that, on their side, they can't generate bandwidth on a clap, and need to deal with what they have, split as equally as possible between all the users that are downloading right now ?
Could it be that the same also apply for every single actors between their servers and your computer, sometimes creating unexpected bottleneck ?
Could it be that last year's lockdown all over the world changed the way the society works, giving a bigger part to online consumption, while it permit to others to discover what can be done online ?
Could it be that each major broadcast company wanting to have its online viewing platform have lead to an exponential use of the bandwidth ?
Could it be that this broke the bandwidth usage prevision, leading to more bottleneck than expected, earlier than expected ?

Oh, and regarding Nopy, could it be that there's threads already addressing this issue and explaining why it actually happen ?

Hint: The answer is "yes" for all those questions.
So that explains why no matter what download site it is I get incredibly slower times than usual for over a month now its been like that I understand there is a limit but I figured after such a long time its either something on my computer messing with download speeds or my ISP is fucking me

Naitogādian

Staying Mysterious
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
My internet download speed can get up to 600mbs thats up to, normaly I get between 150-250mbs and for some reason the past month or so any download sites such as mega/nopy etc with high download speeds I get barley 1mbs, something that should take me a 1min to download now takes me 10+mins. I did speed tests online and my download speed it shows its normal. I can download games like off steam at normal speeds but anything from a file host now takes me forever. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Edit: Even tested with a VPN its slightly better but only slightly not normal speed
I'll try and help you out. It sounds like this is a new issue that started around a month ago. I would look at anything that may have changed around the time it started happening. Speed tests aren't always the best indicator of speeds. I would start by doing the normal things; restarting everything(your modem, router, PC), Clear the cache on your browser(s), ensure your equipment is updated, change your DNS to something like Cloudflare it's secure, and one of the fastest available. Make sure your browser is up to date, I recommend Firefox and Brave. Also, speeds will depend on the time of day as well, busy times will see a decrease in speeds across the network as a whole. Finally, Google is your best friend someone somewhere will have had the exact same issue as you and probably will have a solution as well. The server up speeds will almost always be the bottleneck for anyone who has internet speeds over 200 megabits per sec,(Mbps). However, 1Mbps is not normal for Mega or NOP( depends on several factors though) .

Last edited:

Wolvez

May 16, 2017
I'll try and help you out. It sounds like this is a new issue that started around a month ago. I would look at anything that may have changed around the time it started happening. Speed tests aren't always the best indicator of speeds. I would start by doing the normal things; restarting everything(your modem, router, PC), Clear the cache on your browser(s), ensure your equipment is updated, change your DNS to something like Cloudflare it's secure, and one of the fastest available. Make sure your browser is up to date, I recommend Firefox and Brave. Also, speeds will depend on the time of day as well, busy times will see a decrease in speeds across the network as a whole. Finally, Google is your best friend someone somewhere will have had the exact same issue as you and probably will have a solution as well. The server up speeds will almost always be the bottleneck for anyone who has internet speeds over 200 megabits per sec,(Mbps). However, 1Mbps is not normal for Mega or NOP( depends on several factors though) .
Thanks I've tried what you've suggested and still no change still have slow speeds.

Wolvez

May 16, 2017
Ok I manged to figure out its my computer causing the slow downloads I tested download on my PC and my Laptop and the laptop was faster, 2gb file downloads in 8 mins on my laptop, on my PC same file takes 25+ mins. Any solutions on how to fix this?

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Ok I manged to figure out its my computer causing the slow downloads I tested download on my PC and my Laptop and the laptop was faster, 2gb file downloads in 8 mins on my laptop, on my PC same file takes 25+ mins. Any solutions on how to fix this?
- Download speed can differ from country to country. Where do you live?
- How do you get internet at home? (Fiber to the curb (FTTC), Fiber to the building/home (FTTB/H), Coax cable internet, Internet via satellite, Internet via LTE/5G tower etc.)
- ISP use filters (blocking websites etc).
- Website hoster throttles users from your country/location.
- Protection software scans ports.
- Bad DNS resolver.
- Your system's configuration is borked.

For Nopy I use a download accelerator to keep the connection to the servers stable. The tool is called Xtreme Download Manager (XDM) and be downloaded here:

Wolvez

May 16, 2017
- Download speed can differ from country to country. Where do you live?
- How do you get internet at home? (Fiber to the curb (FTTC), Fiber to the building/home (FTTB/H), Coax cable internet, Internet via satellite, Internet via LTE/5G tower etc.)
- ISP use filters (blocking websites etc).
- Website hoster throttles users from your country/location.
- Protection software scans ports.
- Bad DNS resolver.
- Your system's configuration is borked.

For Nopy I use a download accelerator to keep the connection to the servers stable. The tool is called Xtreme Download Manager (XDM) and be downloaded here:

I tried using this but everytime I try to download any file it downloads an html file to the link of the file and doesn't download the zip at all

lemonfreak

The Freakiest of Lemons
Oct 24, 2018
I tried using this but everytime I try to download any file it downloads an html file to the link of the file and doesn't download the zip at all
I use Jdownloader 2. Once installed you just need to copy the url from Nopy, zippyshare or whatever and the link will show up in Link Grabber, one of the tabs within the app. You can then download it and JD2 will even unpack the files when its finished.

This is unlikely to have any effect on your download time but it should take care of any instability caused by slow speeds.

Reactions: Brazilian Engrish

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I use XDM for Nopy only (doesn't work with MEGA)! Enable the applications browser monitor feature which allows the program to grab the download link as soon as you click on the download button.

RenzuuVEVO

Oct 26, 2021
RIP Nopy. It was a good website to download games.

Anyway, in case of anyone still having slow download speed from WiFi/Ethernet (Although I believe that Ethernet cable wouldn't be having this issue). I found a solution that might help you on your end.

So I previously had this problem before and my download speed on workupload are around 200 - 350kb/s sometimesat 500kb/s at maximum speed which is not that great and it took me a whole month to try to do everything. Ex: resetting router, change IP Address/DNS, clear cache for my browser and etc. Nothing really worked for me until i stumbled onto this post.

TLDR: (Quotes Below)

"I think I found a solution for myself. I noticed that on my laptop, on the same network as my PC, even if connected via wifi, i was getting faster speeds. Did some googling and I found a network setting that when i adjusted it, improved my network speeds overall.

If you open a command prompt with admin privilege, run the command

netsh interface tcp dump

is autotuninglevel=disabled? if so try this

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

then try uploading or downloading and see if you get better results."

I do everything like the solution post said and it bumps my download speed (WiFi) from 200 KB/s all the way to 2.5 MB/s. I guessed i messed up with something beforehand and I got slow download without realizing. Hope this post will help you and anyone out there in the future!

Wolvez

May 16, 2017

Anyway, in case of anyone still having slow download speed from WiFi/Ethernet (Although I believe that Ethernet cable wouldn't be having this issue). I found a solution that might help you on your end.

So I previously had this problem before and my download speed on workupload are around 200 - 350kb/s sometimesat 500kb/s at maximum speed which is not that great and it took me a whole month to try to do everything. Ex: resetting router, change IP Address/DNS, clear cache for my browser and etc. Nothing really worked for me until i stumbled onto this post.

"I think I found a solution for myself. I noticed that on my laptop, on the same network as my PC, even if connected via wifi, i was getting faster speeds. Did some googling and I found a network setting that when i adjusted it, improved my network speeds overall.

netsh interface tcp dump

I do everything like the solution post said and it bumps my download speed (WiFi) from 200 KB/s all the way to 2.5 MB/s. I guessed i messed up with something beforehand and I got slow download without realizing. Hope this post will help you and anyone out there in the future!
Can anyone vouch for what this person says, no offense but not trusting someone who new and made their first post on this

ZTex

Engaged Member
Apr 3, 2019
Can anyone vouch for what this person says, no offense but not trusting someone who new and made their first post on this
I mean...you have the internet at your disposal but sure. Here's the on it

Furiousrawrr

Dec 10, 2017
Use vpn like surfshark and its godspeed. Also dosent get locked for download wich is rly good. So swap to different country when Mega download block. I dont try the others since they usualy much slower than Mega. It be saying 1 hour on them like bruh.

queota123

Jul 8, 2021

netsh interface tcp dump

thank you so much man, it worked like charm

Reactions: 123k2kd