Ren'Py Onhold [Slutcraft:Heat of the Sperm]What do you guys think about a game changing the artist during development?

LIKE..?

• OLD

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • NEW

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

woguovs

Sep 7, 2021
1.png
(before)
QQ2.png
(after)

As one of my goat games, slutcraft was attracting me by her art style and settings.When I play the early version (0.2x) in 2020,I was very excited that I finally find a game worth waiting.Though it was pretty slow (0.4X till now ).To me,the art style is one important thing to make a play-or-not decision.
But I played the newest one lately,everything is good except they change the drawer:Kappa:make me feel strange a little.I have to put it downer than before...Others are ok with me,just the face...
(I know there are people who like the second more,this thread just from my own view)
It is my first time meeting this kind of thing, I wonder if somebody feel the same?
If the styles of the old artist and the new artist were similar, I could accept a bit more, but they are just... too different.
Is there other game changing their artist during developing game?

made a poll

(ShadowPortal even not change their cover of this game,still the old one lol,just kidding, love this game as always)

BanneDraws

Nov 4, 2022
I vaguely remember Orange Trainer and Claire's Quest switching their artists midway. If I remember correctly, it didn't go over well initially, but it's not like they can force the old artist to keep working on it, if the artist moved on. If it's a personal choice, however, then it will likely go down badly at least initially, since the audience got used to the old artist and needs time to re-adjust. Unless the new artist is god-tier compared to the old one, that is. Even then you might get a percentage of the crowd that would rather you had just stuck to the old stuff.

Personally, I'm not seeing that much of a difference in the Slutcraft example. If the bottom one had black outlines and less pronounced cheekbones as well as a few other minor alterations, I'd assume it's just natural style drift that can happen for artists over time, especially when there's no art director keeping them in check. That said, I prefer the old style, even if the eyes are inconsistently sized. :censored:

rk-47

Jun 27, 2020
I think if the new artist can make their own interpretation of the what the old one did without a complete redesign then thats fine, but if you told me these two lady characters are different people i would believe it

Reactions: woguovs

woguovs

Sep 7, 2021
I vaguely remember Orange Trainer and Claire's Quest switching their artists midway. If I remember correctly, it didn't go over well initially, but it's not like they can force the old artist to keep working on it, if the artist moved on. If it's a personal choice, however, then it will likely go down badly at least initially, since the audience got used to the old artist and needs time to re-adjust. Unless the new artist is god-tier compared to the old one, that is. Even then you might get a percentage of the crowd that would rather you had just stuck to the old stuff.

Personally, I'm not seeing that much of a difference in the Slutcraft example. If the bottom one had black outlines and less pronounced cheekbones as well as a few other minor alterations, I'd assume it's just natural style drift that can happen for artists over time, especially when there's no art director keeping them in check. That said, I prefer the old style, even if the eyes are inconsistently sized.
As I said before, the new one looks like her mom, even that is just her second form. Claire’s request?The game made by Overgrown’s studio? That’s also a game on my list! They change artist too?:FacePalm:

Last edited: