Small PSA for Folder Compression (More Games on your HDD/SSD)

toxsick

May 10, 2017
I just posted this in a game forum post, and thought this is good enough knoweledge more people should know.

I don't know if this is a useful Tip or not for most people, alot of the games uncompressed are huge, I have a remedy for it, I leant during working on servers in the past.

Using Powershell or CMD window in the folder and use LZX compression via compact.exe tool

EG, using windows Explorer navigate to a folder you want to compress,
Hold SHIFT and right click the folder, Open powershell or Command Prompt what ever in installed on your PC

when the window opens, type the following command
compact /C /F /S /A /EXE:LZX

The 12.7GB folder now only uses 5.27GB of disk space, (Dragons_Herald_2020.8-4)
GameCompression.JPG
this is a much more efficient and advanced version of selecting Compress Checkbox in folder properties window.

you can do this for plenty of games.. (Good for SSD's smaller space)
My Fallout 4 with Tonnes of Mods is about 130GB Uncompressed, and down to 88GB with LZX Disk Compression
My DAZ Models folder is 650GB, Compressed down to 412GB (Saving of 238GB!!!)
Daz.JPG

NOTES:
some games work well for this, some games don't have much compression headroom, so best to not compress them..
I have found having WINRAR installed, and using the INFO Button works well to see if it's worth compressing a folder
Winrar.JPG

this compression use low-medium CPU Usage to uncompress data on the fly, but once in system memory no problems.
This LZX Compact compression will revert files back to a UNCOMPRESSED state if the file is edited..

I hope this PSA Helps