So guys i want to start a game, a pixel game in ren´py, is that even possible?

Deleted member 827972

Game Developer
Aug 17, 2018
I want to make a nsfw pixel game, full feature like summer memories but not "rogue -like" (You losing progress in every run) , something that is worth to grind and even if update your idk 20 h of gameplay still fresh and your character still the same as before.
But there is a major problem i dont have rpg maker.
So just have ren´py to make that happening, is possible to make a normal date-sim, in ren´py using only pixel art?

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
If you mean a "game styled like RPGM with small pixel sprites moving around a landscape populated from image tile" then that would be pretty complex to pull off with the Renpy engine.

Renpy is very much focussed on making it (relatively!) easy to create visual novels. There's nothing built in to renpy to help you deal with characters, inventory, combat, maps, movement on maps etc like there is in RPGM. All of that functionality would need to be programmed using Renpy language + ATL + GUI + python. (I recall there's some sort of tile-based map engine being mentioned on the Renpy Lemmasoft forums).

Renpy is very good at many things, but given that is a bunch of interpreted domain specific languages running in a virtual machine on top of the Pygame library running on the interpreted Python language.... it's not surprising that "good code speed performance" is not its strongest aspect.

However, If you mean "a visual novel style game but with 8bit style pixelated character/background image art" then you should have no problems using Renpy.

Last edited:

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
Firstly, pirate RPG Maker MZ (Newest). Thus you will have the engine you wanted. There are many engines you can use, Game Maker Studio, Godot, that one used to create fire emblem like games. Use the one that is easiest for you to make the game you want.

Can you do it in Ren'Py? Yes, depending on your coding skills.