So, I stuck

Hura03

Sep 5, 2017
It's true that it's natural for a game developer or people who draw to get stuck. My situation is not very different and I'd like to open a discussion about it and I'd like to ask for your advice. I'd be glad if you could spare some time for this little bit long text.

If I talk about my situation:
I'm the kind of person who hangs out on forums but is the ghost. In other words, I don't post much, I don't comment on posts, and this doesn't help me much. For example, I have been in this forum for years and I follow it, but I have not posted even once. But I wanted to open a post on this heavy subject and I hope I'm posting it in the right place.

Let me get into the subject without wasting time:
I started making erotic games 1 year ago, I wanted it to be something that I could develop in addition to my main job - my main job is making animation for different genres, tv shows, etc. As a result, I devoted my free time to learning how to do it. I was mostly looking at Japanese erotic games as an example, since that's where my main job is focused too, and of course because I can draw anime characters easier.

After browsing a lot of Japanese websites with translate and looking at games here and on steam, I chose the RPG maker series to enter the genre. I don't like coding, I want to make a project that is not coding heavy in general, even if I learn a little javascript along the way. I don't really want to make Visual Novels, although I've looked at Renpy and Visual Novel Studio.

As a result, I'm able to draw, animate, able to use game engine, and enough scripting to help me a little bit. All I had to do was to find something "simple" and put it all the knowledge and materials into a proper work.

When I realized that the problem had started:
And I started, I learned the game engine, I found the concepts, I made the drawings, I implemented the mechanics...
There was a moment of sort of a snap in my brain, “would this be something I would want to play? Would it be something that people would play, it looks too similar to this or that game, is that a problem? Is it too big, will I be able to handle it?” and I had to pull myself back for a while.

After a few trials and setbacks, I realized that I was starting to get into a loop. I keep starting one project, deciding “it's not worth it” and then moving on to another project.

The problem has been going on for a few months now:
Although I've spent a few years in the professional field, I know the work ethic and I'm good with deadlines, I'm having a hard time making a game with a ‘simple’ logic and I keep pulling myself back and re-entering. I know that if I don't want to do it, I won't do it, so a suggestion like ‘Do what you really feel like doing’ doesn't make much sense to me.

Since I don't know the marketing of this field and I can't talk to many experienced people, I felt that I was tired of discovering it on my own and I was really stubborn to make a game. Unfortunately, I also wonder what people will think about the game and I find the logic of ‘do it for yourself’ strange. Because after all, if I did it only for myself, I would do different things, not ero games. This kind of games all about the audience you know. I'm not going to make a game for a month and then jerk off eventually:D

It makes me more happy if the player is happy:oops:. I compare it to animation, yes, it's still enjoyable think while doing it, but in the end it's laborious work and my satisfaction increases when I finish it and present it to someone for their comments, feedbacks or just compliments:). At least for my opinion.

Conclusion
I'm stuck, I'm obsessed with what I want to do and I'm actually getting better in terms of mindset. But perfectionism kicks in before I can get myself out of the professional perspective and into ‘let's have fun’ mode. Sometimes I drown in too many ideas, and as a result, I can't get some doubts out of my mind:

• This shit I was doing for ‘distraction’ turned into a real job. I need to learn to have fun again.

• I'm aware of "If you are a beginner of something and trying to make a work on your own, it makes more sense to go in a sort of hierarchical order from small to great." aspect.

• Finishing something is the most important thing, but for example, will a classic rpgmaker game (like a typical and short ero jrpg with dumb girl and slime battle eroticism) be interesting? In the end, it's up to me to make it stand out from other similar games, but consider it's always a some risky situations about every theme in workflow for example.

• Is it worth my time? For example, the above project would please me as long as I finish it, but even for a 4 CG game, it's a lot of work for a one-man game developer. The obsession with time here probably comes from an insecurity about how people's judgement will be.

• And even though I don't plan to make money from it, how can I present this work to the public? Which platform, how? This is a subject that I am the most unaware of and I try not to think about it too much. If I think about it, it pulls me back directly, but it comes to my mind every time after all.

Thank you if you have come this far and I hope I could explain the situation.

I would like to know your thoughts, for example, would you be okay with the above classic rpgmaker game as long as it is well designed or do you prefer games from a different point of view. Or are there any advices you can give me that you would like to add? I wrote this to get things out of my chest a bit too. So even if you don't have any advice or anything, feel free to join the discussion.

Little Note: I'm never looking for originality, don't get me wrong, but I'm still trying to measure how valuable the work I'm going to create. Again, I'm already doing this job with passion and I'm still gonna do it. Likewise, a logic like ‘make a game for your own fetish’ is not a very useful advice for me. And although my writing is a bit pessimistic and realistic, I assure you that I am not depressed or anything, I am very motivated to work.​

Help, this is ridiculous. Knowing so much and not being able to make a fuckin jrpg game is stupid.
Overthinking is a bad thing to do, I don't recommend.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: HugMan69 and Selfax

Selfax

Nov 4, 2020
No matter what you create, there will ALWAYS be someone who enjoys it. (Hell go on DeviantArt for 5 minutes and look at the art quality of the average fetish page)

If this is just a hobby or something you do in your spare time, there's no harm in just letting it rest on the back burner for a little while. Creating impossible standards and forcing yourself to work is a compounding snowball that's very hard to stop.

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
Well you seem to know your primary problem already: Perfectionism.
You should limit your scope and plan only within that scope, aim to finish your first project first.
If you are dissatisfied then go play some games or read some manga/books for ideas and to not burn out.
Pace yourself, split work into parts. Today you do this part, tomorrow you do that part, etc.
Baby's first game doesn't need to be a pinnacle of perfection, finishing what you start is more important. :whistle::coffee:

• Red Heart
Reactions: HugMan69 and Hura03

Mxiio

Jul 30, 2024
I think the reception of your game will depend entirely on how you choose to release it - if it's 1001 different systems that are all unfinished when I try the game, I'd be inclined to simply not care. If it's a single system that is polished and will give me a taste of what is to come, I might give it a 5 out of 5.

If you need any help planning feel free to reach out - I have ~10 years experience working with IT development and delivery and work as a senior scrum master so I'd be happy to help flesh out the plans as long as you have an idea of the end goal.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Hura03

NeonSelf

Dec 3, 2019
My few suggestions:

- Game should be in "finished" state from day 1 of development. Make main menu, some placeholder for "game" with just a few buttons to win or lose, and gameover window. From that point you can show this "game" to anyone, while keep adding content to it.

- People will play literally anything. Make a cow with button "Moo" and a counter, and there will be people, who start pressing this button nonstop to get the highest number.

- Focus ONLY on what you enjoy doing. I mean, if you struggle with game mechanics, deep story or sounds, then get rid of them. Having a choice to interact with NPC or move to another room is enough for most games. There is no need to complicate things.

Its always worth your time, if you enjoy making it. Some people paint warhammer minifigures or build lego models, you just happen to have a different hobby.

• Red Heart

Hura03

Sep 5, 2017
No matter what you create, there will ALWAYS be someone who enjoys it. (Hell go on DeviantArt for 5 minutes and look at the art quality of the average fetish page)

If this is just a hobby or something you do in your spare time, there's no harm in just letting it rest on the back burner for a little while. Creating impossible standards and forcing yourself to work is a compounding snowball that's very hard to stop.
Since I haven't developed myself on the part of the internet or I'm not a twitter artist, they have something that I don't have, the people with the “bad” drawing quality you mentioned are actually doing something more correct than me. They finish their work and share it, without caring about the quality or they somehow being happy about the results :D That is a very good thing.

You are quite right about the snowball, I have to learn to relax in such situations.

Hura03

Sep 5, 2017
Well you seem to know your primary problem already: Perfectionism.
You should limit your scope and plan only within that scope, aim to finish your first project first.
If you are dissatisfied then go play some games or read some manga/books for ideas and to not burn out.
Pace yourself, split work into parts. Today you do this part, tomorrow you do that part, etc.
Baby's first game doesn't need to be a pinnacle of perfection, finishing what you start is more important. :whistle::coffee:
You are absolutely right!

That being said, I am usually aware of the source of the problem and the how it's effecting me, but I mostly remain unguided or very stubborn about the solving of the problem. it's a bit of an alien terrain for me. Perhaps the most important thing here is to prevent burn out and maintain sanity :D It is still a relief to hear it from someone else tho.

Reactions: ♍VoidTraveler

Hura03

Sep 5, 2017
My few suggestions:

- Game should be in "finished" state from day 1 of development. Make main menu, some placeholder for "game" with just a few buttons to win or lose, and gameover window. From that point you can show this "game" to anyone, while keep adding content to it.

- People will play literally anything. Make a cow with button "Moo" and a counter, and there will be people, who start pressing this button nonstop to get the highest number.

- Focus ONLY on what you enjoy doing. I mean, if you struggle with game mechanics, deep story or sounds, then get rid of them. Having a choice to interact with NPC or move to another room is enough for most games. There is no need to complicate things.

Its always worth your time, if you enjoy making it. Some people paint warhammer minifigures or build lego models, you just happen to have a different hobby.
Do you think I should share the development state on a regularly on a blog or something like that?

Because, my thought was “since I'm not a well-known person on internet, no one is waiting for what I'm doing. So I was trying to get it done and share it that way.” But of course, normally I should be able to finish the project in 2 week or 1 month, like you mentioned, but the problems I mentioned suddenly kicks in when I do that funnily enough.

But I have to keep in mind how simple games in this field can be and that people still enjoy them.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
I know that if I don't want to do it, I won't do it, so a suggestion like ‘Do what you really feel like doing’ doesn't make much sense to me.
and yet, your problem seems to be that you're not making the story YOU want to see. instead you seem to be trying awfully hard to figure out what kind of games other people like, or thinking 'is this bit good enough? would people want to see this?'

is there a story you REALLY want to see? like maybe you saw a game or a comic with some idea you REALLY liked, but it was abandoned, done the wrong way, or maybe it even was fine but now you've been looking for similar game/story for years but can't find one?

what I'm trying to ask is, do you have a well defined idea for what YOU want to see? not just something you're okay with, but something you can't stop looking for?

THAT's the story you need to be making. something YOU hunger for. and if you find what it is, there's no quitting it, there's no getting bored, you'll always want to go back to it because it's THE thing.

it can be a whole story like peter parker getting with aunt may, it can be just a single fetish like smelly feet, then you write the story around that single thing. it can even be that teacher at school you thought was hot, so now's the time to bring her back in fantasy 20 years later and put her through all the sick things you never dared to even think of. something that gives you the thrill just daring to think about it. that's the story you need to be making. not asking what others might like.

and it doesn't matter a single fuck if it's done a million times or if someone likes it or not, doesn't matter if it's far from perfect. this is for you, you only. and if you find it you'll never wanna switch to something else and never get tired of it.

and when you make that story YOU can't stop obsessing about, others will sense your love for it and like it too. people will love what you love, whatever it is.

and in contrast if you try making something someone else likes, people will sense your lack of interest as well and not like it.

Reactions: Hura03

Hura03

Sep 5, 2017
is there a story you REALLY want to see? like maybe you saw a game or a comic with some idea you REALLY liked, but it was abandoned, done the wrong way, or maybe it even was fine but now you've been looking for similar game/story for years but can't find one?
During this discovery, of course, there were many things that I really liked and said, “I would really like to do this.” The problem started when I got into a loop as I started or even in middle of the project, when I started thinking of what I love to do as a job, and the anxiety started. I kept turning it into a burden.

what I'm trying to ask is, do you have a well defined idea for what YOU want to see? not just something you're okay with, but something you can't stop looking for?
To be able to look at it again in this way, I think it's better to relax and try to enjoy what I'm reading, watching or playing it seems.

and it doesn't matter a single fuck if it's done a million times or if someone likes it or not, doesn't matter if it's far from perfect. this is for you, you only. and if you find it you'll never wanna switch to something else and never get tired of it.
This is the thing that should be nailed to the mind. It's like a simple argument that the best counter to over thinking is not to think too much. I am aware of it, even if I can't practically get it into my mindset. It also seems important not to rush things.

Reactions: woody554

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
I got into a loop
I'm a pathological restarter. I play games, I keep restarting and making new saves, like hundreds of them. for playing it's often just because I like doing that, the early parts of games are always best made, and I usually reiterate my playthrough trying to do the same thing BETTER, faster, more efficient.

when creating games and writing, it's a bigger problem exactly because then you get nowhere. I've fully rewritten my game from scratch three times, I've rerendered everything more times than I remember. I know I'm gonna at least rewrite all dialogue once more, but there's so many good reasons why I should rewrite the code too. - and it's not even that bad, it only takes a few weeks because you know where you're going.

(btw here's some real world experience for people who believe the scammer dev excuses that rerendering or slightly adjusting massive amounts of scenes takes 1-2 years - it doesn't. my game is 4 years and going, so not a small one, and even the biggest rewrites have taken 4 weeks. and I write about 10x more dialogue per scene than other devs. when they take forever they're not working on game, plain and simple.)

but it's always the same incest house story. I'm not making or even thinking about any of the 100+ other game ideas I've written down while making this, because frankly I'm not interested in making any of them while the incest house game is going. I just write them down so they stop distracting me. even when I'm stuck I never stop thinking about the incest game, I never stop figuring out new scenes in my head, I never stop rendering dirty scenes with the mom JUST FOR FUN.

right now I'm writing a camping story with the mom. it was supposed to be a quick 2-3 page one night bare bones short-story. it now has 4 days, I'm halfway through, and it's already 45 pages. I'm shocked if it doesn't go over 100 pages. and it's for absolutely nothing, just for fun because I can't stop thinking about the characters. I'm sure some of the ideas will end up in the game event/questline as well, but I already know a lot of things I wanna do differently. but the point is I don't get distracted with the other games because this one I REALLY want to see done my way.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart

PTSdev

Oct 21, 2019
Really sounds like you need a break, OP. I'm in the middle of developing a large game myself and it's just normal to get stuck. It's also normal to realize design errors way too late in the project. At some point, you've got to roll with it. Fix what is fixable and keep pushing. It feels much better to get something done than to be lost in a labyrinth of conflicting thoughts.

It's also not really important what other people think about your game, there'll always be some who like it and some who don't. It's your work of art, you make the decisions. Create something you enjoy playing.

AllNatural939

I am the bad guy?
Game Developer
Apr 3, 2024
Dude, you started off on the wrong foot. You should ALWAYS think that you are doing things right and that you are ALWAYS doing something that will end well.
If you don't have faith in yourself, how do you expect others to have faith in you?...
Something doesn't turn out the way you thought it would, it doesn't matter, you can fix it later (as long as it's not some really bad mistake that really makes you look bad in front of everyone). It's allowed to make mistakes, that's how we all learn. Always seeking perfectionism will only slow you down or it may even mean that you never finish because your crazy little head will get you down sooner or later.
Look at me, my first game started relatively recently. They always recommend starting with something small. I threw those recommendations down the drain and started with something big, also having a toaster to render... And here I am, happy despite earning almost nothing with what I do, despite the fact that there are people who don't understand that you can't talk about certain things and they criticize you without knowing the underlying problem. You do everything right, you get criticized, you make mistakes and you get criticized.
The only way to do this is to believe in yourself from the beginning and not let yourself be your biggest obstacle.

NeonSelf

Dec 3, 2019
Do you think I should share the development state on a regularly on a blog or something like that?
No, you dont have to share anything. Its just easier for your mental health when your game is always in a working state. You dont have to constantly remind yourself that you should add 100 features before it becomes playable. Also, you can share it like a demo, when you decide to make patreon\subscribestar page.

Reactions: PTSdev