So I think I want to build a game...

Villi X

Jun 12, 2018
First off, sorry mods, idk the proper way to post something like this, but thanks for fixing it for me if needed

I'm planning on an HTML game with this premise and wanted some opinions on it. this is how it starts out:

(?) - not sure if I'm capable of implementing into the game

Gene-Therapy

Narrator:
The year is 2083 and you have lived your entire life in the once great city of Neo-San Francisco. It used to be a prosperous and civil city filled with culture but has since become a slum filled dystopian, it’s to be expected after all the smaller cities have been reduced to metaphorical ash from raiders and countless lawless citizens. The only way to ensure your safety and comfort is to establish yourself in the upper echelon of one of the few major cities left standing, Neo-San Francisco, or Neo-Fran as it has been known to be called, is known for having one of the largest disparities in the wealthy and the poor, and it is noticeable in the way that the city is governed, the impoverished population is not even considered part of the populace and as such have established their own laws that they follow, and if you don’t like it then you better find a way out of their influence. It should also be noted that due to the advancement of technology human animal hybrids have been a common occurrence in everyday life, this was started by Chinese gene splicers who wanted to make a more advanced human being but ended up making anthropomorphic animals who have taken up living among humans. It has become accepted in most places but some still hold their opinions on them as nothing more than animals and has led to conflict in some regions. In this world you will find conflict and advisories and how you deal with them will be up to you, it’s time for you to carve your own world out of the life you are given.
-
-
-
Before we begin you should tell me more about yourself and what kind of life you have paved for yourself thus far

Name:
Body: Thin/Average/Large
Race: Human/Dog/Cat/Bunny(?)/Bird(?)/Cow(?)/Rat(?)/Reptile(?)/Insect(?)
Hair: Black/Brown/Blonde/Red/Blue/Green/White
Hair length: Short/Ear/Neck/Waist
Backstory/Attributes: Strong/Intelligent/Charismatic/Deft/
Mom: Has penis: (y/n)
Dad(?):
Sister: Has penis: (y/n)
Brother(?):
Friend: Gender: (m/f)

Introduction to Delta (AI):
Wakey wakey eggs and bakey!
...Hey I said it’s time to get up! Wake uuuuuuuuup!

Delta gender set: (m/f)

It’s about time! Sheesh, Okay so I have set up your schedule for today and starting off your day we have a job appointment at [TBD]
Momma has been trying to get a hold of you for a while now so you should probably call her.
After that you should get in contact with your sister, she said she had something she wanted to talk to you about, since she lives next door it shouldn't take much time.
Before we head off you have to get dressed! I have set out some clothes that might be appropriate for your appointment

Button down - M
Slacks - M
Briefs - M
Shoes - M
Blouse - F
Skirt - F
Stockings - F
Panties - F
Flats - F

I haven't gotten much else since I'm still figuring out how to use HTML but this is basically the beginning of what I'm working on.

I have taken a lot of influence from games like Perverted Education, COC and TITS but hope to implement their elements into an HTML format similar to Perverted Education, I have never an H-game before and hope to make one worth playing.

Any opinions or advice is welcome :)
Just keep in mind that I have never made a game previous to this but I'm putting my all into it and hope to learn a lot along the way.
Things I'm curious about are stuff like, should I include internal monologue? any insight on how difficult these things might be to implement to an HTML game?

Thank you for any help you can provide

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Losersriot

egosga

Jul 13, 2018
Well I don't actually have a advice but i want to see finished version of this game so i will just watch this thread.

+1

Reactions: Villi X

Deleted member 229118

Oct 3, 2017
I can only give you my opinion as everyone like's different things.

1: No internal dialog.
I hate it when my characters has opinions of its own.
It can be used for stuff like: I need to talk to my sister.
Basicly hints to where the next trigger is.
But anything that give's my character opinions of its own is anoying.
Limet it to facts and stuff that is usefull to know.
Good example: Mom got big tits.
Bad example: I love Moms big tits.
One is what our charater sees(which is usefull for a text biased game) the other is an opinion.

2: Dont give the player intel the charater does not have.
So many games(proffesional games) allow the player to know the big bad plan.
Removing the feeling of suprise when the main Character learns it.
A good way to be imersed in games is by limeting the player knowledge to the charaters knowledge.

3: Avoid grind.
This is a tricky part of gaming.
On the one hand earning money to buy stuff can be a fun activity.
Yet it can also be meaningless grind.
No activity shoud have to be repeated more then 5 times max.
And every time you do it you shoud see progression.
Like: ow i am devoloping claws?(session one.)
Sweet a tail(session two.)
Etc.

4: Dont force your will on the player.
Bad choice game overs, unavoidable ntr, Unavoidable rape.
A good game give you the tools to fix the problem.
It doesnt force you into picking option a, b, b, c, a in order not get raped.
This is where the good part of grind comes in.
Lets say you want to impress a girl?
You want to take her out for dinner, buy her some flowers.
So you need money.
You earn 10 bucks per day at the store.
You need 50.
Players will grind that for the reward of seducing the girl.
Ofcourse if you make the price to high or the earning to low.
We quit or cheat.
If there is a problem give us the tools(or preferable several tools) to fix it.

5: Acceptable breaks from reality.
Notice how i had you charater earn money per day rather then per month like most real life jobs?
It is because working for days to get the pitance we are payed a month isnt good gameplay.
If you have to pick between realism and fun.
Pick fun every time.
We are more then willing to suspend our disbelieve as long as it is fun.

6: Know your target audience.
If you try to please everyone you will please noone.
It is beter to focus on what you like and what you are willing to put effort into.

For example:
From what i read about your game:
So a furry game with rape content?
Will it let me manipulate myself and my family to the top sociaty?
Improve the world?
Or will i be just a rape victem?

Furry isnt my fetish but i am willing to ignore it for a good rise to power game.
That is my favorite type of game.
Rise to power.
Once you have power it gets boring.
And not having power reminds me to much of my life.

As for how hard it is to implement.
I dont known.
I suspect the hardest part will be not going mad looking at command lines for hours looking for that typo.
From what little i know of programming is that the hardest part is not giving up.
It takes time for the command lines to make sense.

DawnCry

Nov 25, 2017
I can only give you my opinion as everyone like's different things.

1: No internal dialog.
I hate it when my characters has opinions of its own.
It can be used for stuff like: I need to talk to my sister.
Basicly hints to where the next trigger is.
But anything that give's my character opinions of its own is anoying.
Limet it to facts and stuff that is usefull to know.
Good example: Mom got big tits.
Bad example: I love Moms big tits.
One is what our charater sees(which is usefull for a text biased game) the other is an opinion.

2: Dont give the player intel the charater does not have.
So many games(proffesional games) allow the player to know the big bad plan.
Removing the feeling of suprise when the main Character learns it.
A good way to be imersed in games is by limeting the player knowledge to the charaters knowledge.

3: Avoid grind.
This is a tricky part of gaming.
On the one hand earning money to buy stuff can be a fun activity.
Yet it can also be meaningless grind.
No activity shoud have to be repeated more then 5 times max.
And every time you do it you shoud see progression.
Like: ow i am devoloping claws?(session one.)
Sweet a tail(session two.)
Etc.

4: Dont force your will on the player.
Bad choice game overs, unavoidable ntr, Unavoidable rape.
A good game give you the tools to fix the problem.
It doesnt force you into picking option a, b, b, c, a in order not get raped.
This is where the good part of grind comes in.
Lets say you want to impress a girl?
You want to take her out for dinner, buy her some flowers.
So you need money.
You earn 10 bucks per day at the store.
You need 50.
Players will grind that for the reward of seducing the girl.
Ofcourse if you make the price to high or the earning to low.
We quit or cheat.
If there is a problem give us the tools(or preferable several tools) to fix it.

5: Acceptable breaks from reality.
Notice how i had you charater earn money per day rather then per month like most real life jobs?
It is because working for days to get the pitance we are payed a month isnt good gameplay.
If you have to pick between realism and fun.
Pick fun every time.
We are more then willing to suspend our disbelieve as long as it is fun.

6: Know your target audience.
If you try to please everyone you will please noone.
It is beter to focus on what you like and what you are willing to put effort into.

For example:
From what i read about your game:
So a furry game with rape content?
Will it let me manipulate myself and my family to the top sociaty?
Improve the world?
Or will i be just a rape victem?

Furry isnt my fetish but i am willing to ignore it for a good rise to power game.
That is my favorite type of game.
Rise to power.
Once you have power it gets boring.
And not having power reminds me to much of my life.

As for how hard it is to implement.
I dont known.
I suspect the hardest part will be not going mad looking at command lines for hours looking for that typo.
From what little i know of programming is that the hardest part is not giving up.
It takes time for the command lines to make sense.
Mate your whole post is kind of a bit into the contradiction zone. Overall some points are just based on what you believe compared to how it is, for example internal dialogs are usually used to make us remember an event that we may not be thinking about it at that moment. For example to catch up lies, a character told you she was going to see a movie but you find her out on the doctor, then we get an internal dialog (I thought she said she was going to see a movie?), overall internal dialog are useful.

Another point is that in internal dialogs of our MC we get talked about their likes/dislikes, as you said having your character think that they like big boobs when that may or may not be true for you makes it kind of harder for the player to project himself as the MC, but this may be solved too if the MC can get fetishes and acting upon them, making it that his way of thinking is based on actions of the past.

2. This point and your 4th one have quite a fight, overall the games kind of try to be overly obvious so that player's don't end up getting the content you talk on the 4th one, because albeit avoidable, it needed the player to think and find the clues. So basically it's kind of hard to do both at the same time. Most of the creators just focus on the 4th and be done.

3. Grind itself isn't the problem, however is it interesting to grind?, overall in many RPG's we have to grind mobs to level up and people aren't bothered about it, why? because it's fun enough or because it isn't an eternal grind but rather it has missions and situations in the middle that take us away from it so when we continue grinding we go in full strength.

4. As I said in 2, it's hard to balance those points, really hard. However unavoidable things are sometimes a good motivation for the MC at the start of the game, bad things are used in many stories, even h games to start the game. The character starts poor/cucked/good for nothing and we try to make him be... the best he can be which in some games is really low.

Overall I do agree that a game shouldn't use unavoidable scenes on the mid/late parts of the game, however there are exceptions, in Sengoku Rance for example we have a clear example in the sense of Kouhime, a character that gets an unavoidable rape scene in the middle part of the story.

What I do think as true is that a game shouldn't throw the hard work of the player.

5. Totally your personal likings. This point is exactly based on point of view and to defend one side or the other we would need many surveys and investigations, some people prefer realism in games while others fun, that's why I would say this is the worst point in your recommendations.

6. This is a good recommendation, focus on your target audience, in fact I would add the "forget those that hate on your game", haters will never be satisfied whatever you do, and even if you do manage to do it they will just feel important because they did accomplish what they wanted.

Having said that I will give the general recommendations that I give to any novice developer, which are the steps you need to follow before you start to make a game:

1º Setting: Overall the first part is to choose the setting in which the game will develop, modern times, medieval, fantasy...

2º Concept: This part talks about what the game wants to accomplish and talks about the main character of the game, it is important to note that the concept only implies what can happen, it isn't a full explanation.

3º Fetishes: This goes before the mechanics because depending on what fetishes you have you may need different mechanics, for example a game that has femdom and maledom may find it interesting to add a dom/sub stat to characters, even if you only have one perhaps it could be useful to have a stat that limits the intensity based on it.

4º Mechanics: These would be the keys to your game, in here you have to write about all stats relevant to the game and their implications/future use.

5º Characters: In here you will talk about the main characters and secondary ones, overall it's important to not only write about their body but their personality and relationship with the different characters that are part of the game.

These 5 points are something that you have to write about in a document before you start to make the game, it's the core of the game, however as additional points we have:

6º Writing storylines: Developments that can happen during the game and the conditions for them to happen, especially relevant when we talk about replayable games because it's what gives that replayability.

It's important to know that a replayable game isn't made so that a player can obtain 100% of the scenes/storylines in their first run, which means that some storylines will lock or unlock based on the player's actions or perhaps even chance.

7º Writing missions: While the storylines are developments that can happen missions is what the player will see in the game, some missions are common to all storylines but others are related to each one. In many games they make a distinction between main quests and secondary ones just to clarify it to the player.

Overall 6 and 7 will depend more on your game structure and what you wanna do in the game.

But... be aware that clothing system for some people it can be good but for others it can be a pain in the ass, especially when we need to continually change outfits. Overall you need to mature a bit your idea and what you wanna do.

Villi X

Jun 12, 2018
Thank you guys for your insight! I'll do my best to use your advice when working on this and appreciate you for it.
I still have a lot to learn when it comes to the actual development but I think that I will have an easier time laying the groundwork thanks to you guys :)

Fliptoynk

Nov 9, 2018
I hope you're gonna make your own images as most html vn's I see here have ripped images. That's all good luck

Villi X

Jun 12, 2018
I hope you're gonna make your own images as most html vn's I see here have ripped images. That's all good luck
As much as I would love to have original artwork, I'm no artist and can't afford to hire one, so i will probably go with IRL images/gifs.

Maybe if I'm lucky I'll find someone that really enjoys what I'm doing and will help me later down the road.

sorry :(

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Best advice:
Avoid stupid advice.

Stop asking for advice in a place that is dominated by preferences.
Inner dialogue is one example of preferenced based advice.
I got it in my game. I never had any issues with it.
Other games don't have it and do not have an issue with it.

Study online (Google, youtube, etc.), read about stuff you need to learn and then add what you personally want to see in a game.
Doing it any other way will just make it a big mess and end up doing something you won't even enjoy yourself.

BossFloof

Nitro Girlz: Paradise Creator
Game Developer
Sep 3, 2019
If you're just starting out making games, do what you want to do and how you like to do it. It's easy getting trapped in all the various preferences of what you perceive to be your market.

Just do it and see if people like what you do. If they don't, you learned a lot and can improve upon it. If they do, you will enjoy making that type of game even more. The advice given above is totally valid, especially the more general and objective ones. But most of the more intricate meaning and how to successfully apply these principles comes from experience anyways.

If you go with plain HTML without any Javascript, think about your game as a linear journey with multiple branches you manually create. Each option doubles your effort, so be aware of that! If you actually code interactive systems, you can create more dynamic stories, but for the storytelling itself, it does not really reduce your writing and design work.

So go ahead and enjoy the journey of making your game, learning new things and be surprised by the problems and solutions that happen along the way!

Villi X

Jun 12, 2018
How did this go
Ehhhh things were rolling for a very short time but fizzled out, my friends are still poking me to make it happen though so if the pieces fall together then it might get revived, it most likely wouldn't be the same game as described above though.

DiviDreamer

Aug 29, 2020
Just don't, it is very hard work to make a game
it become even more harder to continue game
and almost impossible to finish)
I made few games in coop with friends and now building one myself and it takes all my free time
so if you single game dev you will have a hard time

egosga

Jul 13, 2018
Ehhhh things were rolling for a very short time but fizzled out, my friends are still poking me to make it happen though so if the pieces fall together then it might get revived, it most likely wouldn't be the same game as described above though.
making good game is not easy but i hope you will find the motivation to continue it even if it's different kind of game