So... I want to make a NSFW Minecraft game...

Erostudios

Feb 10, 2024
Hello! I have a couple ideas in my mind and want to make sure.

So basically, I want to make a minecraft NSFW visual novel game. I'm planning to put updates on patreon and make a profit from it. But would it cause any legal issues? Like I may not use the game's name and make changes of the characters name. The scenario will completely be out from my mind. I'll do the character drawings. I might use backgrounds from minecraft screenshots but that's it.

Would that cause me any legal problem?
Thanks.

papel

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2018
> would it cause any legal issues?

If you use anything that is copyrighted: assets, character names, then yes, you'll have legal trouble. Using similar stuff that's legally distinct is ok.

You can't use Steve, but you can use Estebán or Stan. If you're going to draw the characters, simply using different names should be enough to keep you clear, even if they "really look like" the copyrighted counterparts.

Screenshots as background are also ok, if anything you can probably take identical shots from any of the many mineclones, including the open source ones.

Erostudios

Feb 10, 2024
> would it cause any legal issues?

If you use anything that is copyrighted: assets, character names, then yes, you'll have legal trouble. Using similar stuff that's legally distinct is ok.

You can't use Steve, but you can use Estebán or Stan. If you're going to draw the characters, simply using different names should be enough to keep you clear, even if they "really look like" the copyrighted counterparts.

Screenshots as background are also ok, if anything you can probably take identical shots from any of the many mineclones, including the open source ones.
Thanks! That's glad to know!

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Just as an added clarification: generic ideas are not copyrightable. So a block based game where you can build stuff in ever more complex ways is not copyrightable. So as long as you don't use their code assets etc you are quite a ways there to being in the clear though there is a grey zone of course between very similar and too similar.

Reactions: Erostudios

Erostudios

Feb 10, 2024
Just as an added clarification: generic ideas are not copyrightable. So a block based game where you can build stuff in ever more complex ways is not copyrightable. So as long as you don't use their code assets etc you are quite a ways there to being in the clear though there is a grey zone of course between very similar and too similar.
It'll probably be a visual novel but thanks for the clarification!