Social media (poll)

Which social media do you prefer (only the "developers and games" aspect counts)?

• DeviantArt

• Discord

• Facebook

• Instagram

• itch.io

• pixiv

• Twitter

• Other (plz comment)

• None, f95 thread is good enough for me

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gander Gamedev

Aug 8, 2020
Hello guys and gals!
I am working on my first game recently. It will be a fantasy/steampunk game (RenPy VN) with nice graphics (2d artist work) and many real choices (several endings mandatory in each chapter).

My question is simple: which of the social media (apart from the F95 thread, website and Patreon) do you consider necessary (for dev) to contact with players? Feel free to fill out the questionnaire, also provide written justifications :giggle:

• Angry
Reactions: lonelyloser

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
IMO only Patreon and Discord are truly important. Aside from that any of the other major social media would accomplish basically the same thing. If people are interested in a game they will go to that game dev's twitter/facebook/instagram to learn or see more, it doesn't matter which one you choose as a platform.

Edit: I'm surprised there are no reddit subreddits mentioned.

Reactions: Gander Gamedev

Maswoo

Game Developer
Jan 11, 2020
Yup, I forgot about Reddit, maybe because I just don't like him. I will think about what to use, maybe I will start most of them and if something becomes popular, I will stay with it.
I agree with this, there is no cost to using all and they are very easy to make. In addition just going through the motions of making twitter, discord's, etc get you thinking about branding and mini elevator pitch descriptions which is just a good exercise.
Then like you say if something picks up traction you can focus on it, if not then no harm done.

Reactions: Gander Gamedev